No announcement yet.

"new re-encoding mode" ... "video quality remains almost close to the original"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab for Windows "new re-encoding mode" ... "video quality remains almost close to the original"

Can someone expand on this? I'm very confused by this.

What is the "new re-encoding mode" for video? I thought the download was decrypting the stream then saving it ("web-dl"). Is there a different stream it's decrypting? Is it doing an upscale? Is it capturing frames and re-encoding ("web-rip")?

I very much appreciate the hard work the developers are doing and I am in no way complaining, I'm just trying to understand.

All Night said
    Is it doing an upscale?
    Yes, it's upscaling. All providers but Netflix which is in 540p.
    Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by AllNight View Post
      I thought the download was decrypting the stream then saving it ("web-dl").
      This is the case with old releases before DRM changed

Is it capturing frames and re-encoding ("web-rip")?
      ​This is the case with new releases after DRM changed
      and if that wasn't bad enough - in SD quality​

Comment

Hopefully this is an ongoing process. I think the developers need more time to be judged on whether they have fixed the issue or not given the extent of the issues I wasn't even expecting an update yet. The main problem I am having at the moment is that re-encoding seems to be producing a jerky image on everything I've tried to download

Comment

Originally posted by djj86 View Post
          The main problem I am having at the moment is that re-encoding seems to be producing a jerky image on everything I've tried to download
          Yes, I noticed the jerky "whiplash" sort of effect on about half of the things I downloaded. Seems to be when there is an increase in the bitstream with turning heads, opening doors, auto traffic, etc. I hope they are aware of the so-so results, sounds like they are?

Comment

Even with the latest version 6.1.6.3, e.g prime is not usable. The videos are in 960x520 and there is a lot of jerking with all movements. I hope for a massive improvement, otherwise the product is unfortunately dead for me!

Comment

Originally posted by peter777 View Post
              Even with the latest version 6.1.6.3, e.g prime is not usable. The videos are in 960x520 and there is a lot of jerking with all movements. I hope for a massive improvement, otherwise, the product is unfortunately dead for me!
              I can't use Prime at all, even with 6.1.6.3, everything I have tried is either poor quality or if it does download the movie is skipping and jerking all over the screen, hopefully, this will improve shortly.

Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

If it's re-encoding and/or upscaling, then the user should have control of the encoding settings, so they can make the choice if they want a faster processing at lower quality, or a slower processing at higher quality, and whether or not they want to upscale it (and again, what settings to use for that).

Personally, I think re-encoding shouldn't be used at all (e.g., we should just wait until decrypting is working again... unless it won't be?), as I think most people use options like StreamFab to get the original streamed content decrypted. There are many other applications that re-encode, so people are coming to StreamFab to avoid that.

Just my opinion!

Comment

Personally, I think re-encoding shouldn't be used at all (e.g., we should just wait until decrypting is working again... unless it won't be?), as I think most people use options like StreamFab to get the original streamed content decrypted. There are many other applications that re-encode, so people are coming to StreamFab to avoid that.

Just my opinion!
                  Some would rather something rather than nothing, especially if their favorite movie or show is leaving a streaming service and they are desperate to download it.

My opinion is similar to yours. I'd rather not download than download a copy that needs re-encoding and doesn't look that great.

That being said, I appreciate them TRYING to give us something to hold us over.

Comment

Working...
                  X