Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion on the AI functionality being upgraded to support 4K resolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your opinion on the AI functionality being upgraded to support 4K resolution?

The Enlarger and HDR Upscaler currently support conversion up to 1080p. I am considering extending the maximum supported resolution to 4K. While the video quality at 4K resolution would be superior, it would also significantly increase the conversion time. I would like to know if you need this resolution enhancement.

Performance related. More likely to use if I can get movie length content reliably upscaled to 4k hdr in up to 24 hours or so. Right now I am just trying out unifab to see what it is capable of.

Comment

I was hoping for 4K Dolby Vision compressed files. It seems to only do 1080P Dolby Vision that are bigger files sizes

Comment

UpScaling is nice, the I don't think the available hardware can actually support with is being attempted. The enlarger for the vast majority of us is basically a failure. When the time to complete the task runs into the weeks, there's definitely a problem.

If I want to upscale to 1080, I use Handbrake, which takes about 4 hours to upscale to the desired size. The result is acceptable. I wish I could say the same for UniFab. Yes, being able to upscale to 4K is a worthwhile target.

Once I acquire suitable hardware, I can then provide a better assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by JimJames View Post
          Performance related. More likely to use if I can get movie length content reliably upscaled to 4k hdr in up to 24 hours or so. Right now I am just trying out unifab to see what it is capable of.
          Hi, JimJames
          Yes, the long conversion time is the biggest issue, and we will do our best to improve the conversion speed.​

Comment

Originally posted by Bdub49 View Post
            I was hoping for 4K Dolby Vision compressed files. It seems to only do 1080P Dolby Vision that are bigger files sizes
            Hi, Bdub49
            Thank you for your feedback. We have also noticed this issue and it has been included in our update plans. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you again for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by TomdeOldMan View Post
              UpScaling is nice, the I don't think the available hardware can actually support with is being attempted. The enlarger for the vast majority of us is basically a failure. When the time to complete the task runs into the weeks, there's definitely a problem.

If I want to upscale to 1080, I use Handbrake, which takes about 4 hours to upscale to the desired size. The result is acceptable. I wish I could say the same for UniFab. Yes, being able to upscale to 4K is a worthwhile target.

Once I acquire suitable hardware, I can then provide a better assessment.
              Hi, TomdeOldMan

Indeed, as you mentioned, AI functionalities may not be suitable for most users, and there are certain hardware requirements that cannot be avoided, at least at this stage. I apologize for any inconvenience caused. To ensure the usability of the features, our team has been actively working on improving the conversion speed. I can assure you that we will soon release an update focused on speed improvement. We sincerely hope that more users will be satisfied when using the Enlarger/HDR Upscaler, but it will take some time.

Thank you for your feedback, and please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

Comment

With my current hardware it takes less than a day to use the current upscaler tool to go to 1080p from 720p. That said, there's only a marginal improvement to me and it's mostly added sharpness at the cost of it looking unnatural sometimes. I haven't found it worth my computer's effort to use the upscaler tool as it is, so I would imagine 4K would be even less of a proposition. I use an Nvidia Shield right now so everything at 1080p is upscaled to 4K in real time anyway and I doubt this tool would be so much better in comparison that it would justify me converting my entire collection.

That said, if you could convert a current SDR 4K video to HDR I think I'd be more interested in that.

Comment

I was upscaling one episode of 47 minutes 1080p to 4K in a new computer AMD 16 cores and GPU Radeon RX 6600 (12% CPU 60 % GPU practically all time). 69 hours took me to process. It would worth for a REAL important stuff, but i don't think that people wants to spend 2 weeks upscaling a 3 hours movie for any reason

Comment

It's not an opinion. You will need an RTX graphics card that supports AI, like an RTX-3060, or an RTX 3070, or an RTX 4080, or the most expensive RTX card you can afford. Just any "super strong" pc that can easily handle state of the art gaming but does not have an AI GPU card is not enough, not even close. Nor is having the fastest intel CPU in the world the i9-14800K with a super weak graphics card that does not support AI. That will also not work. In your graphics card, look for terms "tensor and AI", if you do not see this, it is not an adequate card for TOPAZ Video Enhance AI or DVDFAB Enlarger. With an Nvidia RTX-3060 and the studio drivers installed, and even on an older intel PC with an i5-8400 and 12GB of ram, I can render a 2 hour movie with DVDFAB Enlarger from 480P to 1080P in about 4 hours or less and the result is incredible. I can render a 1080p movie that might be a crappy low res Blu-Ray burn up to 4K so it plays ultra crisp on a 1080p TV, this takes about 24 hours to render at 4K. Again, incredible improvement, unreal improvement on fine details and smoothing. Using TOPAZ video Enhance AI you can put the original next to the rendered in preview.

Comment

Working...
                    X