Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will HDR be saved in video, when converting vom H265 to H264?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UniFab v1.0.0.0 Will HDR be saved in video, when converting vom H265 to H264?

I want to convert a video from HEVC (or H265) to H264. The video has HDR content. I don't know much about how HDR works, so I wonder, will HDR be kept in the video, while converting, or will the resulting video not have HDR anymore?

On reason I wonder is, that, as far as I know, when converting Audio Atmos information will be lost.

Hi, VegetableHarry

The H.264 encoder does not support native HDR video formats, so converting H.265 HDR video to the H.264 encoding format will not preserve the HDR content. HDR video relies on a wider color space and higher bit depth to deliver richer colors and details in the highlights and shadows. Compared to H.264, H.265 employs more advanced compression techniques and can handle higher bit depths and broader color spaces, which are precisely what HDR video requires.

Comment

Hi Ryan,

thanks for the answer. Do I understand correctly than, that if I use the H.265 encoder to re-encode the video (instead of H.264) than the HDR color space is reserved?

Comment

Originally posted by VegetableHarry View Post
        Hi Ryan,

thanks for the answer. Do I understand correctly than, that if I use the H.265 encoder to re-encode the video (instead of H.264) than the HDR color space is reserved?
        Yes, if you re-encode HDR video using a Codec that supports HDR standards (such as H265), the HDR effect will be preserved.

Comment

Working...
        X