This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix Subtitle Naming Convention Feedback

Thank you for the update that allows us to downlead forced sub, It's worked really great on the shows I've been trying to download.

However: I noticed that the names of the files are a little confusing. If you download a show with just English CC you will have 2 files for each episode like this

Show Title_S##E##_Episode Title.mp4
    Show Title_S##E##_Episode Title_eng.srt

Now with the recent fix for forced subtitles and you check English Forced and English CC you will have 3 files for episodes that do have forced. episodes without the same as above

Show Title_S##E##_Episode Title.mp4
    Show Title_S##E##_Episode Title_eng.srt
    Show Title_S##E##_Episode Title.eng.srt

What I have found is that in cases where an episode has both forced and cc subtitles the file with .eng is the cc and _eng is the forced. But where an episode only has cc the file is _eng. This gets a little confusing. Could we maybe get the forced subtitles to have something to the nature of _eng_forced as the file suffix for clarity.

Also side note: Periods in file names are ok. No need to change them to underscores. All of the episodes for Marvel's Agents of Shield had the file name as Marvel's Agents of S_H_I_E_L_D_ and I had to run a script to rename them to have a period instead.

Thanks for the feedback, it is very important and appreciated as always. I do not believe the issue with underscore vs. period is universally true, depending in some cases to the player and the way it reads the titles. Forced subs for translations have been a problem since the DVD days. One would think that it could have been standardized across all brands and platforms by now, but the developers will continue to work on it for the download sites.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

This is truly just an aesthetic issue for end users.

For me specifically now knowing what to expect from the downloader I am able to adjust my post script to rename the files appropriately. as I loop through each mp4 file I check for the existance of the .eng version. If it exists I get all srt files that match the mp4 name and take the assumption that the Forced file will be smaller than the CC file will be larger and rename each to _forced and _eng. The rest of the script will adjust the mkvnix cmd line to use _forced as a forced subtitle in the resulting mkv.

Comment

It's been corrected, please update to the latest version and try again, thank you.

Comment

Mona, I have given it a look. and yes that is better. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X