Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Film with subtitles

Hi,

With v3.2.0.1, I was able to download a foreign video from Netflix with english subtitles and the subtitles were embedded in the MP4 file and I was able to see them displayed via VLC Media Player. But with v3.2.0.2 and downloading the exact same video from Netflix, the subtitles are not there. I then changed Download subtitle to "Extract to SRT file" and tried the download again. I got no SRT file and the MP4 file again did not have any subtitles. The subtitles are definitely there when I stream directly from Netflix. So I believe something changed between 3.2.0.1 and 3.2.0.2. In any case, I would like to know how to either get the SRT file created or why the english subtitles are no longer imbedded in the MP4 file. Attached is the log from this morning. Thank you. DVDFabDownloaderLog-20210501.txt

Thanks for the feedback, the devs will work on it after the Holiday.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Yesterday evening I thought I would try the Netflix dowload again remuxing the subtitles. I chose the next episode in the series. Amazingly, the downloaded MP4 did contain the english subtitles when viewed in VLC Media Player. Then I used the DVDFab Converter to create an MKV file. The MKV played fine in my Oppo and the subtitles appeared as they should. With this success, I then went back to episode 2 and re-downloaded it. Again the subtitles were there both in the MP4 and the converted MKV.

I have no idea what went wrong yesterday morning. The only thing is I wish I knew is how to create the SRT file instead of remuxing. The SRT option does not appear to work. I have attached the log from last evening's successful download.

DVDFab Good Foreign Download from Netflix.txt

Comment

There are apps available that will just extract SRTs from MP4s if that's what you're looking for, I'm not sure if we can discuss them in this forum though.

Comment

This problem appears to be intermittent. I tried downloading episode 4 in the exact same manner as the successful episode 3 and there were no english subtitles, even though english was selected. However I seem to have found a way to get around this by selecting a 2nd subtitle in addition to english. It worked. I got both subtitles embedded and was able to choose which one to use when converting to MKV. This morning I downloaded episode 5 and again it worked with two subtitles selected.

My only question and this is important for the future: How do I create the SRT file? That option does not work. Please help me with this after your holiday. Thank You.

Edit: I just again changed to "Extract to SRT file" and for the 1st time it worked. I got two srt files, one for english and the other for chinese. I just cannot understand why this never worked before. This is a mystery. I have attached the log.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by captnvideo; 05-03-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X