General Question Before I Buy Netflix Downloader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Question Before I Buy Netflix Downloader

How large is a typical download file, say "The Prom", with 1080p and 5.1. Since most Blu-Ray movie files are upwards of 40 gigs, I want to be sure it downloads in the highest quality to burn to a Blu-Ray disc.

Just used the trial version of Amazon streamer to download the new Borat movie and it came out to under a gig. Not really worth it if I wanna burn to a Blu-Ray.

Any ideas?

Recently a few streaming providers (Amazon and Netflix included) made changes to the DRM encoding so new/recent movies/episodes on Netflix are not downloading at all (at least for me) and Amazon will only download in 540p (again, my experience). This is probably why you saw a file size of less than a GB.

StreamFab developers are working on this and hopefully we will see a fix in the next couple of weeks.

Prior to this (and hopefully after the developers find a solution), I was seeing much larger file sizes. Quick note: make sure you go into your Netflix account settings and edit your profile to use the highest quality video and sound. Mine is set to "High Video and Audio quality"

Netflix states that High Video and Audio quality" yeilds about 3GB per hour HD (1080p) and 7GB per hour for Ultra HD (4K); Said differently: for every hour of video your file size will be approximately 3GB for HD and 7GB for UHD.

So 20 minute episodes in HD and 5.1 audio for me were approximately 1GB file size, 2 hour movies in HD and 5.1 audio for me were approximately 6GB - but YMMV as the 3GB HD/7GB UHD per hour is probably more an average and not exact for every episode/movie. Also not all episodes/movies have 5,1 audio, some only come in stereo which yeilds a (slightly, for me) smaller file size.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by dillon77; 06-13-2021, 05:41 AM.

Comment

As mentioned, the Amazon download of your movie is likely shrunk because of the 480p download size. Devs are working on the issue, and the fix is expected soon(ish)

As for Netflix:
      This is going to vary (of course). My last 1080p download from Netflix was American Pie Presents Girls Rules , which ran 82 minutes and just under 3.5 gigs.

This is pretty standard size for 1080p downloads, really. You can safely count on about 3-5 gigs per movie, unless they're longer movies, then it'll be a bit more.

Comment

Thanks! You guys are awesome! Reluctant to buy something that might not work for a bit...

Comment

Working...
        X