X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to download 4K movies from HBOMAX

Hello,

i am unable to download 4k movies from hbomax

Title "Those who wish me to dead" has both 1080p and 4K resolution.
    how can i differentiate between 4k download and 1080p download from stream fab

I have attached the pics of my settings
    Attached Files

With StreamFab You can't pick the resolution on a per movie basis. It's overall based on the settings screen. That is true for 4K as well as 1080p vs 720p.

Starting with StreamFab 4 0.2.0, the resolution you get when downloading from HBOMax depends on the settings of BOTH the drop down for "Video Resolution (Selected If Available)" AND the check box for "Download HBO Max videos in 4K HDR/Dolby Vision quality if available"

When the "Download HBO Max videos in 4k..." Box is checked, StreamFab will download the 4K copy when available. If 4K isn't available for that movie, it will download the resolution specified in the drop down.
    In other words... based on the shot of the Settings screen you posted, Streamfab will download movies in your queue from HBOMax in 4k if available, and if 4k isn't available you'll get 1080p.

For the movie in your other screen shot, Those Who Wish Me Dead, since 4K is available (based on movie details shown in the screen shot), and you have the "Download HBO Max videos in 4K..." Checked in settings, you should get the 4K copy of it and any other movie in your download queue that is available in 4k, and any movies in your queue not available in 4K will download as 1080p.

That being said, I don't know if it's required to adjust the resolution setting and 4k check box before you launch the HBOMax modules and add movies to queue, or not.

I've always changed the StreamFab settings, including resolution, BEFORE starting the desired download module and adding the movies to queue. Doing it that way, StreamFab has downloaded the resolution I've expected, including 4K.

I have not yet tried launching the HBOMax module, adding movies to queue, going to StreamFab's settings and changing the resolution options, then going back to hit download.

In other words, if I want all 1080p from HBOMax, before launching the HBOMax module, I go into StreamFab's settings, uncheck the 4k box, launch HBOMax module, add movies to queue and download. If I want 4K, before I launch the HBOMax module, I go into StreamFab's settings, check the box, then launch the HBOMax module, add movies to queue then download.

Also, In my case, the 4K downloads have always been HDR, not Dolby Vision. Your example movie, Those Who Wish Me Dead, when I downloaded it in 4K the resulting file is HDR10, not DV.

This is fine with me because I have a mix of 4K TVs and streaming devices. Not all of them support Dolby Vision, and Plex Server for windows can't transcode between DV and HDR10, or just DV to non-DV, meaning that if/when I get 4K movie files with Dolby Vision, I can't watch them in every room. So I prefer HDR10.
    Last edited by KidJoe; 10-06-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
      That being said, I don't know if it's required to adjust the resolution setting and 4k check box before you launch the HBOMax modules and add movies to queue, or not.

I've always changed the StreamFab settings, including resolution, BEFORE starting the desired download module and adding the movies to queue. Doing it that way, StreamFab has downloaded the resolution I've expected, including 4K.

I have not yet tried launching the HBOMax module, adding movies to queue, going to StreamFab's settings and changing the resolution options, then going back to hit download.
      I just tested that.

I launched StreamFab, checked that download 4k if available was selected, started HBOMax, added the Matrix (available as 4K), left the HBO Module open but minimized, and went into StreamFab settings and removed the check from Download 4K... When I returned to HBOMax and started the download it still came down as 4K.

It appears the downloader modules read the StreamFab settings when they first start, and don't pick up if you change settings AFTER you've launched the module.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
        With StreamFab You can't pick the resolution on a per movie basis. It's overall based on the settings screen. That is true for 4K as well as 1080p vs 720p.

Starting with StreamFab 4 0.2.0, the resolution you get when downloading from HBOMax depends on the settings of BOTH the drop down for "Video Resolution (Selected If Available)" AND the check box for "Download HBO Max videos in 4K HDR/Dolby Vision quality if available"

When the "Download HBO Max videos in 4k..." Box is checked, StreamFab will download the 4K copy when available. If 4K isn't available for that movie, it will download the resolution specified in the drop down.
        In other words... based on the shot of the Settings screen you posted, Streamfab will download movies in your queue from HBOMax in 4k if available, and if 4k isn't available you'll get 1080p.

For the movie in your other screen shot, Those Who Wish Me Dead, since 4K is available (based on movie details shown in the screen shot), and you have the "Download HBO Max videos in 4K..." Checked in settings, you should get the 4K copy of it and any other movie in your download queue that is available in 4k, and any movies in your queue not available in 4K will download as 1080p.

In other words, if I want all 1080p from HBOMax, before launching the HBOMax module, I go into StreamFab's settings, uncheck the 4k box, launch HBOMax module, add movies to queue and download. If I want 4K, before I launch the HBOMax module, I go into StreamFab's settings, check the box, then launch the HBOMax module, add movies to queue then download.

Also, In my case, the 4K downloads have always been HDR, not Dolby Vision. Your example movie, Those Who Wish Me Dead, when I downloaded it in 4K the resulting file is HDR10, not DV.

This is fine with me because I have a mix of 4K TVs and streaming devices. Not all of them support Dolby Vision, and Plex Server for windows can't transcode between DV and HDR10, or just DV to non-DV, meaning that if/when I get 4K movie files with Dolby Vision, I can't watch them in every room. So I prefer HDR10.
        Hello,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. I tried adding 4k movie in queue mode and then closed stream fab, changed the settings and then when i tried to add the same movie to queue mode, its not accepting.
        i think queue mode is not working for same movie twice.

Developers needs to give us option to select the resolution

Comment

Originally posted by Idreams View Post

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. I tried adding 4k movie in queue mode and then closed stream fab, changed the settings and then when i tried to add the same movie to queue mode, its not accepting.
          i think queue mode is not working for same movie twice.

Developers needs to give us option to select the resolution
          correct, if a movie is in the queue you can't add it again.

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting you can queue up both resolutions of the same film you want to download at the same time.

if you do the following ...
          1. without StreamFab or any of its modules running)
          2. launch the main StreamFab app
          3. ensure no downloader modules are running (i.e. if Netflix, HBO, etc are open, close it!)
          4. go into settings, select 1080p from the drop down, and do not have download 4k checked,
          5. launch HBOMax downloader
          6. add movies to queue
          7. download
          all in queue will download at 1080p

If you do the same but check the box for Download 4k if available, then all in the queue would be downloaded at 4K if available, or 1080p if not.

But you're right, it would be a nice added feature if you could select the resolution when adding to queue.

Although I think most would just use the same resolution to download everything. Other than maybe downloading tv shows at 720p to save space, I can't see a reason to not download 1080p. And there isn't much on HBOMax in 4k, so it's not that often to switch and download 4k, and switch back.

Comment

Working...
          X