This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab FAQ

I thought about this over the past few months as I saw repeated questions. A thread this week, convinced me to sit and type this up. Hopefully some find it helpful.

Mona
    Wilson.Wang
    signals
    DVDFab Staff

Mod's, feel free to remove this if you don't feel its appropriate. You are also welcome to edit, correct, change, revise, reformat, this is you see fit.

And just to be clear to everyone, I have no relation to DVDFab other than I purchase and use their products. I do NOT speak on their behalf or otherwise represent them. The info I am presenting is based on my usage of DVDFab Downloader, now StreamFab, posts in the forums, and general knowledge.

FAQ

Does StreamFab screen record or download?
    StreamFab downloads the audio and video files from the supported streaming services. It does not screen record or capture the movie during playback.

Is there a limit on how much I can download? If so, why?
    Yes, there is a limit. 50 downloads per streaming service, per day. For more details see -> https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...n-on-downloads

NOTE: I do not recall the discussion on the impacts of having multiple licenses, and running StreamFab on multiple computers. Like is the limit of 50 per service per day on a per DVDFab account basis.

The StreamFab website says 1080p and 5.1, I’m not getting that. Why?
    StreamFab and other downloaders use a browser-based method to connect to the streaming services..

Due to the different DRM methods employed by the various streaming services, there may be limits on the maximum resolution video or audio available to a web browser for playback or if using a browser-based tool like StreamFab.

These limits will vary from service to service, hence the limit of 720p on some services like Disney+, Hulu, Apple TV+, etc. when using a web browser, Streamfab and some other similar tools, including stream recorders.

For a list of maximum resolution and audio StreamFab supports for each streaming service, see the first post of -> https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...-here-~updated

StreamFab is supposed to be able to download at 1080p or 720p from this streaming service, why is this movie such a low resolution?
    While StreamFab is capable of downloading up to 1080p from services like Amazon and Netflix, and 720p from others, we’ve seen a few movies and shows which only download at 480p and 576p even though they appear to be available to stream at 1080p/720p using the service’s app on a device like Roku/FireTv/GoogleTV.

Looking further at this, the streaming service just doesn’t have a higher resolution version of the movie/show available to download via StreamFab or other similar tools. While I’ve seen this reported mostly about Amazon and Netflix, it's possible you might experience this on other services a well.

What resolution video and audio will StreamFab download? Do I have control over that?
    On the VIP Service Settings in StreamFab there are various options to determine the file format (MP4 vs MKV), Video Codec (H264 or H265), Audio Codec (EAC3/AC3 or AC3), Video Resolution (1080p or 720p), as well as the ability to download 4K HDR video from HBOMax on select titles.

Based on how those options are set, when StreamFab goes to download a movie or show, it checks what the streaming service has available for that title, and downloads a copy that best matches the options you have set. If a version that matches your settings isn’t available, StreamFab will download the next best version of that title.

NOTE: Due to DRM changes on the Streaming Service sites that started on December 1, 2021, StreamFab has implemented a necessary workaround that does involve downloading a low resolution for some, but not all, movies and shows. Please see the release notes to StreamFab v5.0.0.8 and 5.0.0.9 for the published information https://www.dvdfab.cn/downloader-new.htm

How can I tell the details of the movie or show I’ve downloaded? In particular the bit rates, codec, etc.
    I use a tool called MediaInfo which is available from -> https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo It can show you a basic text view, but also a more detailed view. (I like VIew -> Basic or View -> Text View)

Is StreamFab lossy?
    All streaming providers use compression so they use less data as they stream, which can help reduce buffering, accommodate for internet congestion, etc. This is lossy. But StreamFab downloads them from the Streaming services without changes. It doesn’t recompress, etc.

In other words, the movie/show exists in the streaming service in a lossy format, but StreamFab itself is not introducing any further loss.

Does StreamFab alter or re-encode the movie it downloads in any way?
    No. StreamFab downloads the movie as it is presented by the streaming service. It does not re-encode it, change the bit rates or other audio or video parameters, etc.

NOTE: Due to DRM changes on the Streaming Service sites that started on December 1, 2021, StreamFab has implemented a necessary workaround that does involve re-encoding after download for some, but not all, movies and shows. In such a case you will get a pop-up message alerting you to the necessary re-encode. Please see the release notes to StreamFab v5.0.0.8 and 5.0.0.9 for the published information https://www.dvdfab.cn/downloader-new.htm

You said StreamFab doesn’t alter the download, so what happens during the Processing or Remuxing stage?
    I don't know the technicals of how StreamFab works, but... Per Wilson.Wang DVDFab Staff “Because of that the video and audio are stored separately on the server of streaming services, and they are encrypted (this is why StreamFab need take 3~5 mins to process the video and then remux the video).” https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...966#post399966

How can I be sure that the files aren’t being re-encoded by StreamFab?
    On Windows, open Task Manager and go to the Performance tab. Watch CPU and GPU usage. If re-encoding is taking place, you’ll see one of them spike to near 100%.

If it's just remuxing, the hard drives will show high usage, but the CPU/GPU will only show minimal usage.

Will StreamFab downloads look as good as my Bluray Rips?
    In short, it depends. They will at least look and sound as good as if you are streaming directly from the service, assuming you can download the same resolution that the service’s streaming app on a device like Roku/FireTV/etc supports.

In other words. StreamFab HBOMax 1080p downloads will look as good as streaming the movie at 1080p using a Roku/FireTV/GoogleTV device to watch it. While a StreamFab Disney+ 720p download will look like Disney+ 720p streaming on a Roku, there will be differences to streaming Disney+ at 1080p on a Roku, however if you can tell the difference depends on several factors (your eyes, your TV, internet connection, etc).

The long answer is that it depends on how you rip your discs, if you compress while you rip, and what or how much compression you use. If you use no or little compression when you rip your disc, the disc rip will look better. If you use a lot of compression, or adjust the resolution when you rip, they might look the same.

See also the next question/answer.

Why are my downloads smaller than what I get when I rip the movie off a disc?
    Streaming services are at the mercy of the internet. If you look they will provide recommended internet speed to watch the different resolutions.
    For example, Hulu's help article https://help.hulu.com/s/article/speed-recommendations says:
    For a consistent, quality viewing experience, we recommend that your internet connection is capable of achieving at least the following sustained download speeds:*

3.0 Mbps for Hulu's Streaming Library
    8.0 Mbps for live streams
    16.0 Mbps for 4K content
    *Viewers may be able to stream at a reduced video quality with 1.5 Mbps
    Considering many 1080p Bluray discs can be around 40 Mb/s data rates and 4K UHD discs are 60-128 Mb/s data rates, fitting that much into a 3 Mbp/s or 16 Mbps "recommended connection speed" is obviously going to need to be compressed.

This compression from the streaming services impacts the file size and quality.

I downloaded the same movie from two different streaming services, and they are different sizes. Why?
    The streaming services do not all use the same bit rates and codecs for the audio and video.

In another thread I used an example of the same Star Trek Undiscovered Country movie from Amazon Prime and Paramount+. The Prime copy had higher bit rate and better audio, and as a result also has a larger on disk size. For more, see -> https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...408#post403408

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
    Is there a limit on how much I can download? If so, why?
    Yes, there is a limit. 50 downloads per streaming service, per day. For more details see -> https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...n-on-downloads

NOTE: I do not recall the discussion on the impacts of having multiple licenses, and running StreamFab on multiple computers. Like is the limit of 50 per service per day on a per DVDFab account basis.
    I can't edit the original post so...

Clarification: the limit is Per service PER DVDFab account. So if you have multiple licenses, and run it on multiple PC's, you'll be limited to 50 per service TOTAL.

Comment

Problem Reports

How do I report a problem?
      There are 2 ways.
      First: From the menu in StreamFab, use the Feedback option. Provide as much detail as you can. My understanding is that the Feedback Option will also capture and include your logs.

Or Second: Create a post/thread in the forum
      NOTE: if a post or thread about the exact same error exists, consider replying to that thread. However you can create a new post.
      • Select the version of StreamFab you’re having the problem with (if its not in the prefix drop down, type it in the title)
      • Provide a clear title.
      • In the body of the post include a clear description of what is happening and include
        • any error message you are seeing (exact text if possible), and such.
        • Which Streaming Service
        • What title you are trying to download, if it’s a series or episode of a series please include the Season and Episode number.
        • Is the error is reproducible or not. If reproducible then include the steps you take to get the error.
      • Most importantly, attach your log files to the post.

Where are the StreamFab logs kept?
      In Windows, they are kept in [My Documents]\DVDFab\StreamFab\log although you can use the “Open Log Folder” option off the menu in StreamFab which will take you right there.

Which files do I need from the log folder when posting to report a problem?
      Typically the StreamFab.log file should be enough, however if you can zip and upload the entire folder that would be great.

I’m trying to attach my logs to a forum post but the forum says the file is too big. What should I do?
      Try to zip the files before attaching. If they are still too big, use the FeedBack option off StreamFab’s menu.

If you can consistently reproduce the error, you can exit StreamFab, clear out the log folder, restart StreamFab and reproduce the failure, then zip the logs.

It does not hurt to clear the log folder from time to time.

Can I move the location of the log folder? For example, I use OneDrive or such and it constantly is trying to sync my documents, and therefore the logs
      No. To be consistent for support, the logs are stored in one location and the user is not able to move them.

You can however change the location of the TEMP directory and Non-VIP service Audio and Video folders (Under Settings -> General), as well as the VIP Service output folder (Settings -> VIP Services)

Comment

Explanation of StreamFab VIP Services settings

These are found under Menu -> Settings -> VIP Services
        NOTE: in some cases users have had to exit and restart StreamFab after changing these settings. So if you make a change and it didn't appear to take effect, please exit and restart StreamFab.

Amazon Region:
        I am not sure about this setting as it has no noticeable effect for me.
        I leave it as Auto.

HBO Europe Regin:
        I am not in Europe and it has no noticeable effect for me.
        I leave it set as Auto

Video Format: MP4 or MKV

MP4 and MKV are containers for the video and audio codecs to be placed in.

MKV allows using 3rd party tools later to gain options such as manually adding Chapter Marks, Flagging a Subtitle track to be always on, etc. Some mobile devices do not support MKV files.

If you know your devices support MKV files, and you might want to use 3rd party tools to add those features, then select MKV. Otherwise, select MP4.

NOTE: These are “containers.” They do NOT impact the audio or video codec stored inside.

Video Codec (Amazon & HBO): H264 or H265
        Note: this setting impacts downloads from Amazon Prime and HBOMax, currently the other services will be downloaded as H264/AVC no matter this setting.

Short version, H264 (also known as AVC) and H265 (also known as HEVC) are video standards to compress digital video or live streams. They help reduce the space needed to store a video file, without losing video quality when compared to RAW video. These codecs reside INSIDE the MP4/MKV container.

You can Google “H264 vs H265” to read more

H264 is older and more widely supported. If you have older devices you’ll likely want to stick with H264. H264 gives you a smaller file than the uncompressed version.

H265 is the follow-on to H264. It is more efficient, can use a lower bit rate and can produce a smaller file than H264 yet keep the same video quality. Or you can use higher bitrates to get better video quality in the same file size as an H264 movie. Unfortunately, H265 requires more processing power, and it's supported on newer devices.

Only use H265 if you know your devices support it. HINT: If your device supports 4K/HDR then it will support H265

All of my devices support H265, so I select H265

Audio Codec: EAC3/AC3 or AAC

Dolby AC3 is a multi channel audio coding standard, and is a lossy compression.

Dolby E-AC-3 is the follow-on to AC3. It is also known as Dolby Digital Plus, DD+, E-AC-3, and EC-3. E-AC-3 supports higher bitrates than AC3 and is superior in keeping fidelity to the original audio source than AC3. It can provide better audio quality than AC3.

AAC is an audio coding standard for lossy digital audio compression, a successor to MP3 that provides higher efficiency. It is not supported by Bluray or DVDs, however it is supported and used by online streaming services. There are different types of AAC that might not be supported on portable players.

Which should you use? That is your choice, but on my home audio setup, I generally get better surround audio using EAC3, so I set it to EAC3/AC3 and skip AAC.

Video Resolution (if available): Full HD 1080p or HD 720p

1080p is up to 1920 by 1080 pixels for a 16:9 aspect ratio. Some films are 2.35:1 or such, in which case you’ll see 1920 by something… NOTE: Some services will add black bars to pad the top and bottom of the frame of 2.35:1 movies to 16:9 ratio file.

720p is up to 1280 by 720 pixels for a 16:9 aspect ratio. Because there are less pixels, the file sizes on disk will be smaller, so this is a good choice if you are looking to save space. Many broadcast TV channels like ABC, Fox and others are 720p. If you’re happy with their quality, you’ll probably be ok with 720p downloads.

I prefer the higher resolution, so I select 1080p

Some streaming services like Disney+, Apple TV+ do limit web browsers to 720p, so StreamFab can only download from them at 720p, even if Video Resolution is set to 1080p

Download HBO Max videos in 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision quality if available: check box
        Select titles on HBOMax have been available in 4K. See -> https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001167

With this box checked, StreamFab will download the 4K copy of the movie or show in your queue. If its not available, it will download the copy which matches your Video Resolution setting.

Because I have 4K TV’s, I leave this selected. If I also want the 1080p copy (for my TV’s that don’t support 4K and HDR), then I go into settings, uncheck this, and download the movie again.

Download subtitle Remux into File or Extract to SRT File
        When you select Remux into File, subtitles will be embedded or included in the video file (i.e. inside the MP4 or MKV container, along with the audio and video portions). If you ever copy the movie somewhere, it's one single file for everything. In this case, the subtitles are image based.

If you select to Extract to SRT file, you’ll end up with separate .SRT files for each subtitle track, plus the MP4/MKV file as your download. The SRT files will be plain text and displayed by the player as an overlay.

How you set this is a preference and a “what do your devices support” thing.

For me, my devices support internal/embedded subs, so I select Remux into File

Output folder
        This is where your downloads will end up. You can change it from the default to another drive letter or folder.

Create Subfolder for each streaming website
        Selecting this option will make a folder separate folders for each streaming service in your output folder. The downloads from each service will be placed in its own folders.

Not selecting this means all downloads from all services are placed directly in the Output folder.

Enable GPU Hardware Acceleration
        This may no longer be used.
        When first released, DVDFab Downloader (what StreamFab was called before version 4) did do some re-encoding, and GPU Hardware Acceleration, if selected, did speed that process up by utilizing supported GPUs instead of relying on CPU and software.

When unselected, StreamFab should use CPU processing power and software to re-encode if necessary

Generally speaking, since StreamFab isn’t re-encoding, this setting should not make a difference.

NOTE: Due to DRM changes on the Streaming Service sites that started on December 1, 2021, StreamFab has implemented a necessary workaround that DOES involve re-encoding after download for some, but not all, movies and shows. In such a case you will get a pop-up message alerting you to the necessary re-encode. Please see the release notes to StreamFab v5.0.0.8 and 5.0.0.9 for the published information https://www.dvdfab.cn/downloader-new.htm

Comment

I don't have the ability to edit the above posts so...

NOTE: In response to the DRM Changes from December 1, 2021 and December 7, 2021, StreamFab 5.0.1.3 was released on 12/28/2021 which includes:

Fix: A failure problem when downloading streaming videos due to the updated DRM schemes.

As such, the workaround that DOES involve re-encoding after download for some, but not all, movies and shows mentioned in notes above should NO LONGER BE NEEDED.

Release notes are available at -> https://www.dvdfab.cn/downloader-new...page,headmenu2
          Last edited by KidJoe; 01-05-2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your time and effort you had put in writing all this information! Appreciated!

Comment

I downloaded super girl episode on Netflix with pretty low bitrate, only 2000kb.
              Please guide me how to fix this problem.
              I want to say that the video I download here is 1080p quality, but the resulting bitrate is only 2000kb

Comment

Originally posted by DVDalibaba View Post
                I downloaded super girl episode on Netflix with pretty low bitrate, only 2000kb.
                Please guide me how to fix this problem.
                I want to say that the video I download here is 1080p quality, but the resulting bitrate is only 2000kb
                StreamFab can only download the best version the provider makes available. If a 1920x1080 2,000kb/s bit rate is the best Netflix offers, that is the best StreamFab can download. Keep in mind your internet can also factor into that, and if you're using a VPN.

I just downloaded Supergirl S03E01 Girl of Steel from Netflix (USA) as a test.

The Video drop down allows me to select 1920x1080 (Bitrate 3469 kbps). That is the best netflix has available for me to pick, so that is what StreamFab downloaded.

Per MediaInfo the download is
                First Video Stream
                3,468 kb/s 1920*1080 (16:9) at 23.976 FPS AVC

First Audio
                English 640 kb/s 48.0 kHz, 6 Channels E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus)

NOW, StreamFab did have the option for 1920*1080 (Bitrate 2348 kbps) so if you picked that you'd get lower.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
                  StreamFab can only download the best version the provider makes available. If a 1920x1080 2,000kb/s bit rate is the best Netflix offers, that is the best StreamFab can download. Keep in mind your internet can also factor into that, and if you're using a VPN.

I just downloaded Supergirl S03E01 Girl of Steel from Netflix (USA) as a test.

The Video drop down allows me to select 1920x1080 (Bitrate 3469 kbps). That is the best netflix has available for me to pick, so that is what StreamFab downloaded.

Per MediaInfo the download is
                  First Video Stream
                  3,468 kb/s 1920*1080 (16:9) at 23.976 FPS AVC

First Audio
                  English 640 kb/s 48.0 kHz, 6 Channels E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus)

NOW, StreamFab did have the option for 1920*1080 (Bitrate 2348 kbps) so if you picked that you'd get lower.
                  i also tried with another program. it outputs video with bit rate higher than 5000kb

Comment

Originally posted by DVDalibaba View Post

i also tried with another program. it outputs video with bit rate higher than 5000kb
                    It is difficult to compare StreamFab with "another program" because they could use different methods to download. This could impact the options available to download.

While I don't claim to know how StreamFab, or a competitor product that I've tried, does their thing, it is possible the "other program" might use a different method to download from the streaming providers than StreamFab does, that other method *MIGHT* allow for other streams to be downloaded, OR that other program could be a stream recorder that encodes at a higher bit rate than the source video has.

I gave you an example of what I see using StreamFab. How does it compare to StreamFab on your computer?
                    Last edited by KidJoe; 04-11-2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

this FAQ is older, and somewhat out of date.... however... the following are still valid steps if you are having issues...
                      1. If you use Microsoft Onedrive, make sure your TEMP, LOG and OUTPUT folders are not located where Onedrive is trying to back them up. If they are, move them out to another location, on a drive/folder that isn't touched by Onedrive, and has plenty of free space (I like to make sure I have at least 100gig free).
                      2. If you were offered "an update is available" button in StreamFab, and used it to update, and didn't use the OFFLINE installer to update SF, try using the offline installer to re-install over top of your current installation. To do so -> Make sure SF is closed, and QCEF.EXE process isn't running before trying to run the installer. Windows users can check in Windows Task Manager before trying to run the installer, OR make sure StreamFab isn't set to start when your computer starts, reboot your computer, and run the offline installer before trying to start SF.

TIP: If you don't use StreamFab's scheduler, set "What do do when close window" to EXIT PROGRAM, and make sure SF is *not* set for "Auto Start Upon System Startup" this way you know the app isn't running when I try to update it via offline installer. While the installer should kill all SF processes/tasks, I prefer to make sure they aren't running myself.

3. I would also suggest deleting your StreamFab Temp and LOG folders with SF closed and try again.
                      1. With SF open, use the hamburger/3bar menu in StreamFab and select Settings
                      2. On the General tab, make note of your TEMP and LOG directories (you will need this info later)
                      3. Log out of any VIP Services you are having issues with (like Amazon, D+, Hulu, etc.)
                      4. Exit SF (again, you want to make sure SF and QCEF are not running)
                      5. Wait about 30-60 seconds to ensure QCEF.EXE process also closes (or in SF settings, Uncheck set for "Auto Start Upon System Startup" and reboot)
                      6. Navigate to your LOG folder
                      7. Delete everything in log (If you can't delete QEF.LOG, QCEF.EXE is running so use Window's Task manager to end QCEF.EXE process)
                      8. Navigate to your TEMP folder
                      9. Delete all files in temp
                      10. ​(optional, but recommended) reboot
                      11. start SF
                      12. Log into any VIP Streaming services (Amazon, D+, Hulu, etc.)
                      13. Try download again

Comment

Where do you find the offline installer?

As mentioned above, I usually recommend using the offline installer with the FAB app closed to upgrade/update, instead of using the "Update Now" button on the app's new version pop-up.

The latest offline installer can always be found at -> https://www.dvdfab.cn/download.htm I download and save each version as they come out, and keep them, so I have a local repository of older versions.

If you paid for the $9.99 (USD) Extended Download Service option, you can visit the Member Center , log in, and use the option on the left for Extended Service.

Or you can try this.....
                        Originally posted by 1binary0 View Post

Comment

Working...
                        X