MP4 Closed Captions to .srt for Discovery+, MPD/M3U8 DRM Downloaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP4 Closed Captions to .srt for Discovery+, MPD/M3U8 DRM Downloaders

This is about an issue that can be turned into 3 feature requests...

Discovery+ and the MPD/M3U8 Downloaders do not download Closed Captions as a .srt file. Furthermore, if you have your settings set to download to .mkv, you don't get ANY Closed Captions.

Discovery+ and a lot of similar sites like TLC.com & CTV.ca do not have separate subtitles but they do have Closed Captions muxed into the Video track.

If you set StreamFab to download to .mp4 files, then you do get the CC. If you download to a .mkv file, you lose the CC.

Because Kodi and almost all players except VLC don't render the CC, I have to extract the CC from the .mp4 with a 3rd part tool and save them as a .srt which i then remux into a .mkv

This is time consuming and annoying. Because i prefer to have everything as a .mkv, if i need to download something from Discovery+ or MPD/M3U8 DRM, i go to the settings, set it to download as .mp4, download what i need, go back to settings, and set it back to .mkv so i can download from Amazon or HBO Max.

Proposed Solutions:
    1. Have StreamFab download the video and extract the CC track to a .srt that can then be muxed into the .mp4 or .mkv (or left separate) as a subtitle track instead of CC track
    2. Have StreamFab ask for the container format for each download like it does for Bitrate and Languages
    3. Have a separate container format setting for all VIP except Discovery+, one for Discovery+, one for MPD DRM, and one for M3U8 DRM (maybe others have same issue but i don't have subscriptions to all these other services)
    Obviously, short term, #1 would be great but eventually all 3 would be awesome additions to StreamFab IMHO.

If the devs don't know how to extract CC from a .mp4 file, i can provide instructions and links to the github repository of the tool i use.
    How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Discovery+ and the MPD/M3U8 Downloaders do not download Closed Captions as a .srt file. Furthermore, if you have your settings set to download to .mkv, you don't get ANY Closed Captions.
    Thank for posting. We will look into this.

Comment

Not to be argumentative..... but my choice is..... and has always been..... to download in .mkv format..... and I am getting Closed Captions with the MPD Downloader..... I don't want Closed Captions..... but I get Closed Captions.....

What I want are Subtitles..... but I get no Subtitles.
      Last edited by weavermovies; 05-13-2022, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post
        Not to be argumentative..... but my choice is..... and has always been..... to download in .mkv format..... and I am getting Closed Captions with the MPD Downloader..... I don't want Closed Captions..... but I get Closed Captions.....

What I want is Subtitles..... but I get no Subtitles.
        You are getting Closed Captions in MKV format??? I think you may be confusing Closed Captions with Closed Captions Subtitles.

Closed Captions look like this in mediainfo:

Code:
        ID : 1-CC1
        Format : EIA-608
        Muxing mode : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
        Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
        Duration : 43 min 50 s
        Bit rate mode : Constant
        Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)
        CaptionServiceName : CC1
        Or like this:

Code:
        ID : 1-1
        Format : EIA-708
        Muxing mode : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
        Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
        Duration : 43 min 50 s
        Bit rate mode : Constant
        Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)
        While Closed Captions Subtitles look like regular subtitles:

Code:
        ID : 3
        Format : UTF-8
        Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
        Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
        Duration : 45 min 3 s
        Bit rate : 159 b/s
        Count of elements : 955
        Stream size : 52.7 KiB (0%)
        Title : English (CC)
        Language : English
        Default : Yes
        Forced : No
        If you look at your MKV file, i am sure the format will just be Text or Timed Text but NOT EIA-608 or EIA-708.

Can you share what you see in mediainfo and what sites you are getting the files from?

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post

If you look at your MKV file, i am sure the format will just be Text or Timed Text but NOT EIA-608 or EIA-708.
          I have to tell you..... I'm just a simple guy and who watches movies..... and I had to read what you wrote a few times to understand what you're telling me I am and am not getting.....

I attached two screenshots from videos downloaded from SHOWTIME using the DRM-MPD_Downloader which is embedded within StreamFab x64 5.0.3.3..... One video is "Drop Zone"..... and the other is "Internal Affairs".....

I'll let you be the judge of what I'm getting..... but at the risk of being presumptuous..... it sure does look like I'm getting the "EIA-608" format that you're telling me I'm not getting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DROP ZONE.png Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	409824

Click image for larger version  Name:	INTERNAL AFFAIRS.png Views:	0 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	409825

Heck!..... I'm kind of tickled that I figured out how to attach the screenshots!
          Last edited by weavermovies; 05-14-2022, 03:09 AM.

Comment

I have to tell you..... I'm just a simple guy and who watches movies..... and I had to read what you wrote a few times to understand what you're telling me I am and am not getting.....

I attached two screenshots from videos downloaded from SHOWTIME using the DRM-MPD_Downloader which is embedded within StreamFab x64 5.0.3.3..... One video is "Drop Zone"..... and the other is "Internal Affairs".....

I'll let you be the judge of what I'm getting..... but at the risk of being presumptuous..... it sure does look like I'm getting the "EIA-608" format that you're telling me I'm not getting.

Click image for larger version Name:	DROP ZONE.png Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	409824

Click image for larger version Name:	INTERNAL AFFAIRS.png Views:	0 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	409825

Heck!..... I'm kind of tickled that I figured out how to attach the screenshots!
            one of the developers has responded to your other thread with Showtime subtitles - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...mpd_downloader

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

one of the developers has responded to your other thread with Showtime subtitles - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...mpd_downloader
              I know..... I had first responded within this thread to the original poster's comment on .mkv files not being able to download Closed Captions..... and then responded a second time to their request for additional data.....

If you go back and reread..... you'll see to what I refer.
              Last edited by weavermovies; 05-14-2022, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Well i stand corrected. Apologies my good man. And i didn't mean you cannot have those CC in an MKV... I meant StreamFab seemed to only download muxed CC when MP4 is selected.

I guess it has to do with how the file is processed and remuxed. Since Showtime is actually in the list of supported sites, it may have a different muxing process.

Unfortunately, i don't have a showtime account so i cannot test it on my own.

May i ask why you want the subs instead of CC? Is it because of the extra descriptions of sounds and the like or is it because of the way they are displayed inside whatever you use to play them?

I used to also not want the CC because i didn't need the descriptions of sounds but since that is all that is available on Discovery+, i got used to them and they don't bother me anymore.

Comment

Well now i am even more confused.

Showtime has a free trial so i subbed and downloaded Internal Affairs and Drop Zone and i don't have Closed Captions. When the picker comes up, the drop-down for the subtitles is empty.

I tried in MKV and in MP4 and still nada... So bizarre that 2 people can have such wildly different outcomes using the same software

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post

Well i stand corrected. Apologies my good man. And i didn't mean you cannot have those CC in an MKV... I meant StreamFab seemed to only download muxed CC when MP4 is selected.

I guess it has to do with how the file is processed and remuxed. Since Showtime is actually in the list of supported sites, it may have a different muxing process.

Unfortunately, i don't have a showtime account so i cannot test it on my own.

May i ask why you want the subs instead of CC? Is it because of the extra descriptions of sounds and the like or is it because of the way they are displayed inside whatever you use to play them?

I used to also not want the CC because i didn't need the descriptions of sounds but since that is all that is available on Discovery+, i got used to them and they don't bother me anymore.
                    showtime has free episodes you can watch to test with streamfab, like VICE season 3 Premiere.
                    and i do get both subtitles & closed captions when played back.
                    Last edited by october262; 05-14-2022, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X