Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab v5.0.3.7 New MKVToolNix Option

Hello DVDFab community,

I was wondering if anyone could give some more detailed insight on this new feature. Is there a benefit to remuxing MKVs with MKVToolNix over the StreamFab remuxer? Furthermore, does the MP4 option offer a closer 1:1 download? I've been using MKV because its my preferred file type and I thought it was 1:1 regardless but if that's not the case I can switch to MP4. I appreciate any information you can provide!

Originally posted by wemickna View Post
    Hello DVDFab community,

I was wondering if anyone could give some more detailed insight on this new feature. Is there a benefit to remuxing MKVs with MKVToolNix over the StreamFab remuxer? Furthermore, does the MP4 option offer a closer 1:1 download? I've been using MKV because its my preferred file type and I thought it was 1:1 regardless but if that's not the case I can switch to MP4. I appreciate any information you can provide!
    from what i could find - "remux leaves the streams as the they are, with no quality loss"
    MKV can store unlimited multimedia content, including video, audio, images, and subtitle tracks. MKV format is commonly used for movies and TV shows. It supports virutally all video/audio coding formats. MKV may allow for codecs that mp4 does not.

MP4 is popular due to its high level of compression. The format is also highly versatile with its two different extensions (mp4a and mp4v) and suits you if you want to attach any metadata. Compatibility is one more strength of this video format. You can run MP4 on most social media platforms and video players. At the same time, I won’t recommend this format in case you plan to avoid high loading time or look for increased copyright protection.

MKV is good as an open-source format (it means that you as a video creator or editor will get more freedom as compared to MP4, for example). It doesn’t yield to MP4 in its lossless compression and has even better video quality in most cases. At the same time, MKV isn’t compatible with most mobile video players. The same as MP4, it has the problem of long loading time, and its videos are usually too large.
    Last edited by october262; 06-09-2022, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info october262. If anyone knows what the differences are between StreamFabs MKV output option and the new MKVToolNix output option, that's what I still need clarity on.

Comment

I believe all it is, is using mkvtoolnix vs ffmpeg for the remux to mkv stage. the only option I see is under video output has 3 choices, MP4, MKV (ffmpeg), MKV (mkvtoolnix)

personally, I prefer mkvtoolnix for remuxing to mkv over ffmpeg. It's what I use for my custom ps script to remux the mp4/srt output to mkv

Comment

Remuxing should not impact video or audio quality.

To be sure, pick a title, download it as MP4, then again as MKV.

Open both in MediaInfo https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo and check the video and audio details.

For video concentrate on resolution, bit rate, and such. Keep in mind the codec name can sometimes be presented differently in MP4 vs MKV.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OP was asking MKV ffmpeg v.s. MKV mkvtoolnix... advantage/disadvantage choosing one over the other with streamfab specifically. I use both and I'm wondering what the benefit of one over the other has being used within the mainframe of streamfab. I know how to use both muxers. I've been using both for years. I could care less about mp4. I'm speaking specifically mkv format with streamfab. I know the difference between the extensions. I don't need info on the extensions. I'm referring only to the way streamfab iteslf merges the MKV with the option of ffmpeg vs mkvtoolnix. Feel free to chime in if anyone has any facts.

Comment

In this case they only reason they are used is to make the final output a MKV file instead of a MP4. They are not used otherwise. The only real difference between the two is that MKVtoolNix is only a remuxer where ffmpeg can also re-encode. (Note: this is to my knowledge of the two, I could be wrong)

Comment

Fuck this. mkvtoolnix is a free application and they don't fix hbo ma 1080p and other things and fool people with this

Comment

You may notice a speed increase with an NVIDIA GPU using MKVtoolnix.

Comment

Originally posted by jimc115 View Post
                    You may notice a speed increase with an NVIDIA GPU using MKVtoolnix.
                    That was my thought too

Comment

Working...
                    X