Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STOP with the forced descriptive audio nonsense!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STOP with the forced descriptive audio nonsense!

Seriously, NOBODY wants to hear narrative garbage. Just put the proper audio in
    I shouldn't have to go in, on each and every download and de-select this garbage from Netflix, and everyone else that offers it.
    If people want it, GREAT, it's an option for them TO select, but STOP with the automatically adding this in!!

I enjoy having all the extras, and I do listen to descriptive. Then again, I'm a writer, and I know other people who enjoy the descriptive audio. There are others who do also. I do agree with not automatically adding it.

Comment

I think a solution would be to not have "en, en" selected as the default for "all" English-language spoken titles (particularly those created by Netflix but I did catch a couple of other titles that had it). I think "English" should be the only "default" when that language is chosen, but there should also be a setting (perhaps in Settings, maybe as a per-module basis) where the user could select English (Descriptive Audio) as an optional language to include when titles are being downloaded.

I honestly wouldn't mind much (unless it became a space issue) if it was included with the titles, just not the FIRST variant when playing back a title that has it included.

Comment

What about Blind people that just listen to the movies.
        Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Agree. I you want them then get them, but shouldn't be automatically included.

Comment

Un-select everything in the setting "Pre-Select Audio Language" You'll have to choose English or whatever your language is, but it won't auto select every audio track that matches your language.

Btw default behavior is to select all tracks that match your language selections. So, in English it will often select 4 tracks, regular and audio descriptive in both stereo and 5.1 with Netflix

Comment

Originally posted by twhiting9275 View Post
              Seriously, NOBODY wants to hear narrative garbage. Just put the proper audio in
              I shouldn't have to go in, on each and every download and de-select this garbage from Netflix, and everyone else that offers it.
              If people want it, GREAT, it's an option for them TO select, but STOP with the automatically adding this in!!
              Get use to not selecting it or selecting the tracks you want...it's here and it's part of life now. Every service will have it and all DVD and Blu-Ray disc will contain it.
              New TV's will also have it as a selection.....It's not garbage....it's law. Download it...you may need it some day.

Comment

Originally posted by jimc115 View Post

Get use to not selecting it or selecting the tracks you want...it's here and it's part of life now. Every service will have it and all DVD and Blu-Ray disc will contain it.
                New TV's will also have it as a selection.....It's not garbage....it's law. Download it...you may need it some day.
                Some people only think about themselves, very selfish. Someday that karma will come back to haunt him, lazy people.

Comment

Why not include an option in settings that is enabled by default. Those of us who don't desire the descriptive audio could simply deselect that option and be done with it.

Comment

It's not garbage....it's law. .
                    No, it's not
                    There is no 'law' requiring that ANY track be included here

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                    Some people only think about themselves, very selfish.
                    It's not selfish at all. Where did I say DON'T include it? It simply needs to be added in as an OPTION. The MAJORITY of people don't use this garbage (and it is garbage)

Originally posted by Dog View Post
                    Why not include an option in settings that is enabled by default.
                    Because, again, then you'd be catering to the minority. Yes, make it an option. Make it DISABLED by default so that it CAN be enabled

The fact is that a second audio track adds to the overall file as it is, requiring more space. Additionally, it makes more work for the AVERAGE end user who doesn't need, or want this garbage, and yes, it's garbage.. Add the option to enable it, that's fine, but leave it off by default

Comment

No, it's not

It's not selfish at all. Where did I say DON'T include it? It simply needs to be added in as an OPTION. The MAJORITY of people don't use this garbage (and it is garbage)

Because, again, then you'd be catering to the minority. Yes, make it an option. Make it DISABLED by default so that it CAN be enabled

The fact is that a second audio track adds to the overall file as it is, requiring more space. Additionally, it makes more work for the AVERAGE end user who doesn't need, or want this garbage, and yes, it's garbage.. Add the option to enable it, that's fine, but leave it off by default
                      Considering how much more of a pain in the rear it would be for blind people to search through the settings and turn the option on (if they would even be aware that it exists since they can't just easily and casually skim through the options menu like a seeing person) than it would be for seeing people to turn it off one time, I gotta agree with Chameleon - you're being selfish (and lazy). Seriously, how inconvenienced are you by turning an option off once (if this were offered as an option in the software)? And really?!? It's garbage just because *you* don't use it? Give me a break. Calm down and quit being so mad about a big nothing burger - you've got it a lot easer than *any* blind person, so quit expecting the world to revolve around you and cater to you, especially at the expense of people who don't enjoy the advantages you do. I'd be willing to bet that nobody ever promised you life would be easy - and having to deselect an option each and every time is somewhat annoying, but nowhere is it on a level that it would justify the angry response you've offered - not to mention your complete unwillingness to compromise at all regarding a set-it-and-forget-it option that would only have to be selected once. Not everyone has the same needs or priorities you do...get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog View Post

Considering how much more of a pain in the rear it would be for blind people to search through the settings and turn the option on (if they would even be aware that it exists since they can't just easily and casually skim through the options menu like a seeing person) than it would be for seeing people to turn it off one time, I gotta agree with Chameleon - you're being selfish (and lazy). Seriously, how inconvenienced are you by turning an option off once (if this were offered as an option in the software)? And really?!? It's garbage just because *you* don't use it? Give me a break. Calm down and quit being so mad about a big nothing burger - you've got it a lot easer than *any* blind person, so quit expecting the world to revolve around you and cater to you, especially at the expense of people who don't enjoy the advantages you do. I'd be willing to bet that nobody ever promised you life would be easy - and having to deselect an option each and every time is somewhat annoying, but nowhere is it on a level that it would justify the angry response you've offered - not to mention your complete unwillingness to compromise at all regarding a set-it-and-forget-it option that would only have to be selected once. Not everyone has the same needs or priorities you do...get used to it.
                        Thank you, Dog, at least there are a few gentlemen left in this world. I thank you for your kind words.

Comment

So what is the objection to it being added?

Is it just "adding to the file size for something I don't want/need"? (and makes the download take longer)? If so, have we done any tests/calculations to know how much of a difference it is per movie? Like what is the size of a movie that includes descriptive audio in addtion, compared to the same movie without?

If its something like the descriptive audio is being marked the DEFAULT audio in the download, so when you play the movie back you hear descriptive so you then have to go into your player and change audio track? because I can see that being really annoying and would think its a potential "bug".

Is the descriptive audio flag consistent across files/titles? Is it something the FAB team can easily identify? If so, then adding an option the user can toggle should hopefully not be to outrageous of a "new feature" request. Although I would like to see their programmers fix HBOMax and AppleTV+ back to 1080p before they add this feature.

Comment

No, it's not

Yes there is a law.
                            CFR Rule: 47 CFR § 79.3 StreamFab pulls what is included in the MPD file. By law, it is included in all new video programming.

If you want a language flagged for subtitles...all subtitles for that language get flagged.
                            Audio descriptive is not just English...it will eventually cover all spoken languages.

If you don't want it...don't choose a default.
                            Last edited by jimc115; 06-24-2022, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Yes there is a law.
                              CFR Rule: 47 CFR § 79.3 StreamFab pulls what is included in the MPD file. By law, it is included in all new video programming.

While I personally don't care whether or not additional audio tracks that I do not use are included automatically unless I opt out, it is not true that 47 CFR § 79.3 is applicable since StreamFab neither meets the definition of a provider that must include all such audio tracks to its customers, nor, since it is located in China, is it subject to the jurisdiction of the United States FCC.

Comment

Working...
                              X