Forced Subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Subtitles

When I first purchased SF and started downloading files (noticed in Netflix), the forced subtitles were not with the movies. I am seeing under the captions option there is forced, but not on all movies. When I go to play the movie on my tv, the forced isn't automatically playing. I am trying to understand, 1, how am I supposed to know if a movie will have forced subtitles without first watching it before I download it. Then when I do download it, how do I get it to automatically play. I really don't find going into my video settings each time I play to turn on forced subtitles.

I do get a little frustrated because some movies are no longer streaming on Netflix and I cannot go back and get them to get the forced subtitles.

If I'm understanding you correctly..... you want StreamFab to always download the "forced subtitles" with the video if they are available.....

Open StreamFab.....

Go into "Settings".....

On the left hand column of the window which opens..... click on "VIP Services".....

On the right side of the window..... grab the "Scroll Bar" and scroll the window all the way down.....

Down towards the bottom of the window..... you will see the ability to check a box labeled "Always download the forced subtitle".....

Make sure that box is checked..... and click "OK".....

I have a feeling this will solve your problem and if there are "forced subtitles" to download..... they will and you'll have them.....

As far as making sure they appear when you're viewing the video..... that will depend on your making the proper selections for your player of choice.....

I attached a screenshot of the "Settings" window to give you a visual of what I explained.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FORCED SUBTITLES.png
Views:	693
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	412314

Current Ignore List: Brozilla, Chameleon, NewMelle, hizbf, radiah

Comment

I have that box ticked yet downloads from Disney and Netflix do not play the English subs that only appear when foreign dialogue is used on my Sony 4k player when playing USB. Using a PC player they only appear when subs are switched on but this causes ALL subs to appear even for English dialogue. Seems to work though when Disney content is burned to Bluray

Comment

Interesting. I have the forced subtitle checked off as well but it's like it doesn't work because shows and movies (noticing from Netflix) isn't showing. I go back and re-download it and then manually choose the forced subtitle option in SF, however, when I am watching it on the TV it doesn't automatically show. I don't have to change any settings when watching directly from Netflix or a DVD.

Comment

agressive_napkin
          phelings

Hi both, please specify the movie/show you have tried and encountered "no forced subtitle for playback" problem, please provide the StreamFab log file as well. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by agressive_napkin View Post
            ....When I go to play the movie on my tv, the forced isn't automatically playing. I am trying to understand, 1, how am I supposed to know if a movie will have forced subtitles without first watching it before I download it. Then when I do download it, how do I get it to automatically play. I really don't find going into my video settings each time I play to turn on forced subtitles.

I do get a little frustrated because some movies are no longer streaming on Netflix and I cannot go back and get them to get the forced subtitles.
            There are several ways to do Forced Subs (for alternate language sections).

You can burn in them in the video image (so they are part of the video stream, always on, no way to turn them off). Or you can have them as a separate track that can be toggled on/off.

If they are the separate track inside the video file, there are several conditions that need to be met for them to show "automatically" upon playback.
            1. they must be flagged as FORCED inside the video file (note: MP4 does not respect this flag, but MKV does)
            2. the player must properly identify and handle the forced flag.
            If those conditions are not met, you must go into your player, toggle on subs, and select the subtitle set that is FORCED, and not the ones for the entire movie.

I typically have StreamFab set to download MP4, so my forced sub titles will never be on by default, even if my player supports that. I haven't got around to switching to MKV yet. MP4 works for everything else and has been consistent, so I've been hesitant to make the change.

How the subtitles are handled can also vary by streaming service. For example, a while back I downloaded Angels & Demons from difference services. The latest copy I have (I can't recall which service it was downloaded from) has the forced subtitles burned into the video. An older download the Forced was a separate subtitle track in the video that I had to toggle on in my player. Same with the movie Widows.

In short, forced subtitles are complicated, and not just with streaming services and StreamFab. Its like this on dvds, blurays and UHDs too!

As for your questions: 1. You wont know without watching if there are supposed to be forced subs (unless the above is true). 2. As said above, unless the all the outlined conditions are met, you have no option but to go into your player and turn them on manually.

As Mona suggested, share names of particular movies or shows you've had issues with, what service you are downloading it from, and the StreamFab logs.

While I'm not part of the FAB team, if you provide at least the title and service, I can try to download it and share my experience (If I subscribe to that service).
            Last edited by KidJoe; 07-14-2022, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Excellent post, KidJoe! I learned something today with your note about an MP4 not respecting the FORCED flag.

While I'm not part of the FAB team, if you provide at least the title and service, I can try to download it and share my experience (If I subscribe to that service).
              I do the same but I sometimes don't share my experience if I find the problem is more than likely "Operator Error" or misuse of the PC or program.

Comment

I downloaded Alias from Disney +. In several episodes there are moments when there is foreign dialogue and subs are supposed to be present for those moments. When viewing via USB those subs don't appear. But the files I downloaded last year were burned to Bluray and the subs appear. In some cases the subs needed to be selected as 1 of 2 different subs. 1 being subs for foreign only and 2 for all dialogue.

I downloaded some of the same episodes recently and although the Subs box on Streamfab said they were present they were not there when downloaded so didn't even appear when burned to bluray.

Everything I download from Netflix and Prime with subs now has the subs default to ON when burned to Bluray using Bluray Creator. If its a series you need to manually switch them off when you start a new episode so I now have to ensure no subs are downloaded

Comment

I knew I typed something about forced subtitles in the past, but couldn't find it when I typed my earlier reply (in Post 6)

Here is a link to it... https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...492#post402492

That post and thread has a lot of background on forced subtitles.

And downloading as MKV (rather than MP4) and selecting the option for remuxing subs into file, may fix the issue of your player needing you to turn on and select subtitles. (Assuming the movie was downloaded with the forced subs included as separate track in your video file)
                  Last edited by KidJoe; 07-14-2022, 11:12 PM.

Comment

I noticed the OP was using v5.0.4.1. He might want to download v 5.0.4.2 which was just released. I too have been having sub title problems with Netflix and Paramount Plus for a few weeks. Only the new 4.2 version fixed my sub title problems. I'd suggest downloading the new version directly. Sometimes the auto update feature built into StreamFab dosen't work correctly. Download the latest verson and run the install manually ovewriting the old version.

Comment

Working...
                    X