Email from StreamFab vs Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email from StreamFab vs Competition

I was gonna respond in a different thread by Weaver Movies (To A Member Of StreamFab Staff..... Resolution Of HBOMAX 1080p Downloads) but I thought rather than go off-topic and put it in his thread (I think he really only wanted StreamFab/Staff response on HBOMax) I'd do it as a new thread since StreamFab sent us this email.

From that thread...

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post

Sounds simple enough but, although i have a lifetime license for the competition, i do not use it because to me, the killer feature of StreamFab is the H265 downloads and close second is choosing the bitrate. Both those things can't be done with the other one.
    Same here, but I do use the competition.

I see the products as "complementary" now that I have used them both.

1. It's pretty easy to batch convert the H264 files from competition using DVDFab. But when I do that I know I'm probably adding a DVDFab tracking token (since that file that was recently created non-encrypted also resided in the DVDFab Directory when I ran it) - but that's not that big a deal for me.

2. The email sent to us comparing itself to two other programs (see attached) shows the competition I use to be the slowest but you have the option of setting the speed to "Unlimited" in the settings which results in it being a lot faster than StreamFab. I can usually do 2-3 files of the same size via the competition when it's set to "unlimited". StreamFab also takes more time in it's process and mux processes at the end.

3. StreamFab puts a tracking token in every file you get per their previous info at their website. Is this done during the processing? Recently the un-encrypted file in the StreamFab directory I think gave some insight into what's stored for tracking and included, a Token ID, Email Address, First Usage, IP address, Network address. This file is still being created in the DVDFab directory when I use it, but it's encrypted now. Not really an issue to me due to not sharing files, but it does take additional time & a little more storage space per file. It's probably also added for those that use VPN since you've installed StreamFab on your HD, but not sure.

4. The competition doesn't have all the problems handshaking with Hulu and having to log off/log on and try files a few times that StreamFab has with Hulu for me.

5. The slowdown's that some of us have experienced, including me, when using StreamFab for Amazon Prime do not occur with the competition connected in the same session to my provider and internet. As recent as a day or two ago one user was told it must be his provider.

6. The Lifetime license for the competition includes any new modules they come out with. They have announced that Peacock will be release in near future.

7. I would not even have tried the competition if StreamFab hadn't went so long on it's HBOMax 720p issue and it being one of my main sites I like.

8. Both of the software products get 95% of the files I would get. But StreamFab gets some from sites that I also occasionally use, like Roku, Youtube, Apple+, Tubi & Pluto.

9. I like both software products and like having the option of comparing files and choosing the best ones.

I'm sure mileage will vary for each user (especially those from foreign locals to U.S.), but for me, I like both products and think they're both worth having if you can - especially as backups when one is behind on updates. It's nice being able to see the differences in resolution, bitrate, file size and audio available.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike_M; 08-11-2022, 05:28 PM.

I have no comment on the competition as I don't use them. I just want to know why I never receive emails from StreamFab that others write about here. This is about the the third time since purchasing my lifetime A-I-O. And yes, I've checked my spam folder each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
      I have no comment on the competition as I don't use them. I just want to know why I never receive emails from StreamFab that others write about here. This is about the the third time since purchasing my lifetime A-I-O. And yes, I've checked my spam folder each time.
      The email I got said it came from notify@dvdfab.cn - I don't know how you can manually subscribe to get them, but I'd reach out to make sure you're subscribed to emails from them too.

There's a link at the bottom to "manage my subscription" on the email, but it's specific to me.

Mike

Comment

StreamFab puts a tracking token in every file you get per their previous info at their website
        This is news to me, and I can't seem to find any info on it. Are you saying that streamfab is embedding a token into the actual video that you download?

Comment

Mike_M I too find the competition as complimentary to StreamFab.

A few notes to what you posted.

1. Yes, you can batch convert from H264 to H265 after the downloads are complete, but recompressing a lossy compressed file to a lossy compressed file can/may lose video quality. So downloading the format you want from the start is obviously preferred. And I do have free software, NVENCCRE/BD Rebuilder from Doom9, that uses NVENC to speed it up, as well as software to convert using x264 to x265 using software encoding, its not that hard to do later.

2. Yes, SF does take longer MUXING/processing after download that makes the downloads "slower" but I did have some issues with the competitor being slower on HBOMax downloads, even when SF still downloaded at 1080p/4K.

3. I saw mention of tracking token in SF downloads before. I never understood it, or where the info is in the files. Can anyone expand on this further? I don't share my downloads either, so I'm more curious from an informational perspective.

4. I haven't experienced that with SF, but I don't use Hulu that much. I am aware of others reporting it from time to time.

5. I've been lucky and haven't experienced the slow downs with SF that other users have reported.

6. My understanding is only the PLUS version of the one competitor includes all new downloaders. The "standard version" only includes Amazon Prime, Netflix and Disney+ and will not get any others.

7. Agreed. I TRIED the competition, using their 30 day trial, when it first came out and didn't like its UI and how it worked as much. I had also used their 30 day trial on my other PC's (since their 30 day trial is hardware locked) from time to time if SF had issues. But it was the SF lagging issue with HBOMax at 720p that pushed me to finally purchase the competitor's PLUS version.

8. Agreed. Same here.

9. I usually just use SF, and if it doesn't work, then use try the other app. Its too much work and time to download using both and comparing. That being said, if SF gets a "low resolution" of a movie, then I DO try the other app and see if it gets anything better.

But all in all you summed it up perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradf3rdc View Post
            This is news to me, and I can't seem to find any info on it. Are you saying that streamfab is embedding a token into the actual video that you download?
            No, I'm not saying it.

I read it previously from StreamFab about their process is said paraphrased something about "not sharing your files that if you did they could identify that the file came from you".

I'll spend some time looking for it again, wish I had saved it - it was authored by StreamFab.

Around 7/21/22 that un-encrypted file started showing up in the StreamFab & DVDFab directories and it included a token number for me, my email address, my Ip address, machine ID (network card?) and first visit.

Thread at:

Now using StreamFab 5.0.3.8 (https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/software-support-english/youtube-to-mp3-youtube-video-downloader/411091-new-streamfab-5-0-3-8-is-released-june-16-2022)but it has occurred at least with 5.0.3.7 as well. A new temp file is being left in the "parent" folder of what was configured in the temp

Mona reported it to the developer per her reply and now it's only in the DVDFab directory but encrypted now.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
              Mike_M I too find the competition as complimentary to StreamFab.

2. Yes, SF does take longer MUXING/processing after download that makes the downloads "slower" but I did have some issues with the competitor being slower on HBOMax downloads, even when SF still downloaded at 1080p/4K.

3. I saw mention of tracking token in SF downloads before. I never understood it, or where the info is in the files. Can anyone expand on this further? I don't share my downloads either, so I'm more curious from an informational perspective.

6. My understanding is only the PLUS version of the one competitor includes all new downloaders. The "standard version" only includes Amazon Prime, Netflix and Disney+ and will not get any others.
              2. Yeah, the real speedup I see is on my main site Amazon Prime, right now on unlimited setting it's a bit slower for HBOMax.

Right now on the Harry Potter series/HEVC/1080 from competition with 6 channel Dolby+, getting over 12 MB/s - which is right in the ballpark of what I think i got from StreamFab, plus it doesn't do the compiling & muxing steps at the end that take additional time.

3. I just posted a little about the tracking token, looking for where I read this from StreamFab and will respond with it after I can locate it.

A good file to look at would be "Groots First Steps" from HBOMax today for each Streamer with the exact same parameters that's a *really* small file.

StreamFab is 111,160Kb, other is 90,597 - don't really know how much of that is header info/rewrite, extra data, token or such.

I wouldn't have even mentioned this tracking token except that the info came from streamfab on one of it's postings previously on it's StreamFab product at site.

Not *something* I'd make up, have not delved into it a lot, like you, I really don't care that much since I'm not sharing files.

I was a little upset when all the info StreamFab tracks via token (I believe) showed up as an unencrypted file in the StreamFab directory ~7/21/22 when someone pointed it out.

Mona reported it and now I only see same file name (but encrypted) in the DVDFab directory, which leads me to believe that DVDFab's process also uses this token.

6. Yeah I thought StreamFab was comparing themselves to the "Plus Version" since they listed 7 sites for that competition.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Mike_M; 08-11-2022, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Attached Files
                This is the first time I ever heard of this other "competitor" (the one starting with F). Which is just as well. It took me awhile to figure out it was spelled wrong but then I downloaded it and tried it out. What a pile of equine droppings!
                Last edited by Cats4U; 08-11-2022, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

No, I'm not saying it.

I read it previously from StreamFab about their process is said paraphrased something about "not sharing your files that if you did they could identify that the file came from you".

I'll spend some time looking for it again, wish I had saved it - it was authored by StreamFab.

Around 7/21/22 that un-encrypted file started showing up in the StreamFab & DVDFab directories and it included a token number for me, my email address, my Ip address, machine ID (network card?) and first visit.

Thread at:

Now using StreamFab 5.0.3.8 (https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/software-support-english/youtube-to-mp3-youtube-video-downloader/411091-new-streamfab-5-0-3-8-is-released-june-16-2022)but it has occurred at least with 5.0.3.7 as well. A new temp file is being left in the "parent" folder of what was configured in the temp

Mona reported it to the developer per her reply and now it's only in the DVDFab directory but encrypted now.
                  Ah I see the file you are talking about.

paraphrased something about "not sharing your files that if you did they could identify that the file came from you".
                  Not sure if you remember but when you read that did you interpret that as them referring to sharing video files or documents related to SF? I'd have assumed videos but honestly can't recall that being a rule I have seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradf3rdc View Post

Ah I see the file you are talking about.

Not sure if you remember but when you read that did you interpret that as them referring to sharing video files or documents related to SF? I'd have assumed videos but honestly can't recall that being a rule I have seen before.
                    It was in relationship to sharing video files per memory and I read it when I was messing around with Streamfab site using different ways to access in order to get the best price on an upgrade module and use a coupon when an email I received from a question about a discounted price didn't give me what I was hoping for.

I was able to eventually get a really good price and use a coupon code they sent me.

Comment

1. It's pretty easy to batch convert the H264 files from competition using DVDFab. But when I do that I know I'm probably adding a DVDFab tracking token (since that file that was recently created non-encrypted also resided in the DVDFab Directory when I ran it) - but that's not that big a deal for me.
                      Ya i know but i don't want to convert because you are losing quality when you do and i download a shit ton. On HBO Max, i download most of the Last Chance stuff if i currently have an H264 or even Xvid from way back when. I currently have around 370 Terabytes of stuff and only maybe 25% is H265. Past 3 days, i have been downloading South park from Amazon in H265 and having to convert 315+ files is not something i would want to do. This is the reason i am kinda patient for HBO since i download last chance stuff that usually predates the 1080p issues but i do get annoyed that i can't download the new shit

2. The email sent to us comparing itself to two other programs (see attached) shows the competition I use to be the slowest but you have the option of setting the speed to "Unlimited" in the settings which results in it being a lot faster than StreamFab. I can usually do 2-3 files of the same size via the competition when it's set to "unlimited". StreamFab also takes more time in it's process and mux processes at the end.
                      I didn't get that email. I think only people who bought DVDFab gets these since why would you try to convince people that bought StreamFab already?

As for the speed, competition used to smoke StreamFab but now it's mostly on par for me (i have 1.5GB/s internet so obviously i will never get that speed downloading a file that is meant to be streamed.

3. StreamFab puts a tracking token in every file you get per their previous info at their website. Is this done during the processing? Recently the un-encrypted file in the StreamFab directory I think gave some insight into what's stored for tracking and included, a Token ID, Email Address, First Usage, IP address, Network address. This file is still being created in the DVDFab directory when I use it, but it's encrypted now. Not really an issue to me due to not sharing files, but it does take additional time & a little more storage space per file. It's probably also added for those that use VPN since you've installed StreamFab on your HD, but not sure.
                      WTF? Do you have a link to this info??? I don't share my downloads either but that pisses me off. How is that info stored in the file? It should be in the metadata if that is true and i don't see that anywhere. Unless the convert all that info to 128-bit and use that as the Unique ID of the MKV tracks?

4. The competition doesn't have all the problems handshaking with Hulu and having to log off/log on and try files a few times that StreamFab has with Hulu for me.
                      Since Hulu is 720p, i just get the 1080p versions from Newsgroups

5. The slowdown's that some of us have experienced, including me, when using StreamFab for Amazon Prime do not occur with the competition connected in the same session to my provider and internet. As recent as a day or two ago one user was told it must be his provider.
                      Ya StreamFab does cause slowdowns during the processing phase and it's annoying. But if you have a GPU and enable hardware acceleration in the settings, it is way better (depending on the GPU). They really should try to optimize this

6. The Lifetime license for the competition includes any new modules they come out with. They have announced that Peacock will be release in near future.
                      Total scam. I upgraded for DRM MPD but never again.

7. I would not even have tried the competition if StreamFab hadn't went so long on it's HBOMax 720p issue and it being one of my main sites I like.
                      At least if they were transparent about it. But just we need more time is super frustrating. Wondering if it's just because they are actually trying to crack it or they just can get a cache of decryption keys. At least with the keys, we would have temporary relief until it is "cracked"

8. Both of the software products get 95% of the files I would get. But StreamFab gets some from sites that I also occasionally use, like Roku, Youtube, Apple+, Tubi & Pluto.
                      Ya for me the DRM MPD is also huge cause there are plenty of obscure sites that i use it on. Yes it's 720p but it's better than nothing. Everything else i can get from newsgroups

9. I like both software products and like having the option of comparing files and choosing the best ones.

I'm sure mileage will vary for each user (especially those from foreign locals to U.S.), but for me, I like both products and think they're both worth having if you can - especially as backups when one is behind on updates. It's nice being able to see the differences in resolution, bitrate, file size and audio available.
                      Again, for me, it's all about H265. Also getting proper audio/bitrate/subtitles from Netflix is good. I wish they would add support for H265 for Netflix. We know the data is there but we don't have that option with StreamFab

Everything else i can get from newsgroups at ultra-high speed and it's automated with Sonarr so i don't mind staying with StreamFab. After i was scolded for posting a screenshot of StreamFab in the third party section, i deleted my forum account so i haven't been back there in several months.
                      Last edited by jpp72; 08-11-2022, 08:39 PM.
                      How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Right now on the Harry Potter series/HEVC/1080 from competition with 6 channel Dolby+, getting over 12 MB/s - which is right in the ballpark of what I think i got from StreamFab, plus it doesn't do the compiling & muxing steps at the end that take additional time.
                        **Vinyl Record screeching sound**

Hold up! Competition now gets HEVC from HBO Max???? Since when???? Or is it only because the file is available in 4K so getting the 1080p will get you HEVC?

Like have you downloaded things that are not available in 4K but yet got HEVC?

BTW: I regularly get 30 MB/s on all my services with SF and i have seen 65+ MB/s on Amazon a few times
                        Last edited by jpp72; 08-11-2022, 08:58 PM.

Comment

WTF? Do you have a link to this info??? I don't share my downloads either but that pisses me off. How is that info stored in the file? It should be in the metadata if that is true and i don't see that anywhere. Unless the convert all that info to 128-bit and use that as the Unique ID of the MKV tracks?
                          StreamFab says it's being put in the MetaData, I'm not a programmer, just going by what StreamFab said per below.

It hit home when I saw the file unencrypted file 65518339-F04A-4B70-839E-FD168961FDV1 in the StreamFab directory that include a "Token Id", my email address, IP address, machine id, etc... - don't know how they do it (if the token in file links back to database), but they said they do below.

I did see another unencrypted version of the above file that only had the token ID in it and I believe it was in the DVDFab directory, but I didn't save it.

The version of it in StreamFab had *all* my identifying data plus the "token ID".

The thing that get's me is that I've seen posted a few times that they don't re-encode, but they'd would have too if they do this wouldn't they?

Found it...

Here is some information you may concern.

Therefore we took one step further to help anyone who's willing to share content to think harder before deciding to do so. We've included the customer/account id in the metadata of the files extracted from streaming platforms. For our majority of users, that understand that the files are strictly for personal use, that piece of info has no importance since the files never leave their own personal storages.

However, if someone wants to share some content they should not, they have an extra explicit step towards the illegal action. Also keep in mind that streaming platforms may have taken extra steps to prevent piracy, other less obvious tracking schemes to prevent sharing, such as watermarks (remember Cinavia?). So stay safe, don't share, don't risk an account ban. After all, only you paid for the content!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Mike_M; 08-11-2022, 09:36 PM.

Comment

**Vinyl Record screeching sound**

Hold up! Competition now gets HEVC from HBO Max???? Since when???? Or is it only because the file is available in 4K so getting the 1080p will get you HEVC?

Like have you downloaded things that are not available in 4K but yet got HEVC?

BTW: I regularly get 30 MB/s on all my services with SF and i have seen 65+ MB/s on Amazon a few times
                            Don't really know the specifics but for all the Harry Potter and A Nightmare on Elm Street movies they're HEVC/1080/Dolby+ with most 6 channel, a couple of Nightmares at 2 channel

Noticed a lot of them via Amazon, but don't know how it's 4k related or if it is or the pattern.

Your Internet speed is a lot faster than mine...

Comment

StreamFab says it's being put in the MetaData, I'm not a programmer, just going by what StreamFab said per below.

It hit home when I saw the file unencrypted file 65518339-F04A-4B70-839E-FD168961FDV1 in the StreamFab directory that include a "Token Id", my email address, IP address, machine id, etc... - don't know how they do it (if the token in file links back to database), but they said they do below.

I did see another unencrypted version of the above file that only had the token ID in it and I believe it was in the DVDFab directory, but I didn't save it.

The version of it in StreamFab had *all* my identifying data plus the "token ID".

The thing that get's me is that I've seen posted a few times that they don't re-encode, but they'd would have too if they do this wouldn't they?

Found it...

Here is some information you may concern.

Therefore we took one step further to help anyone who's willing to share content to think harder before deciding to do so. We've included the customer/account id in the metadata of the files extracted from streaming platforms. For our majority of users, that understand that the files are strictly for personal use, that piece of info has no importance since the files never leave their own personal storages.

However, if someone wants to share some content they should not, they have an extra explicit step towards the illegal action. Also keep in mind that streaming platforms may have taken extra steps to prevent piracy, other less obvious tracking schemes to prevent sharing, such as watermarks (remember Cinavia?). So stay safe, don't share, don't risk an account ban. After all, only you paid for the content!
                              I call bullshit. It's all about selling StreamFab licenses.

If it is encoded, then there are 2 scenarios:
                              1. You make the decoding steps public so content owners can access it
                              2. You keep it closed but you provide the user's info upon request
                              If it's #1, where is it?

If it's #2, bad business. I for one would raise quite the stink.

For both options, you need to know which tool was used before you can use the decode tool or contact StreamFab.

With the 1000's of stuff posted on pirate sites by release groups who use scripts that have no identifying data, what company will download everything and try to decode all the files? Or request the data from StreamFab?

Logistically, it makes zero sense.

So, again, i call bullshit.

At least PlayOn was adding your email address at the beginning and end of the video. That was a clear deterrent for non-tech users.

Comment

Working...
                              X