Email from StreamFab vs Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

StreamFab says it's being put in the MetaData, I'm not a programmer, just going by what StreamFab said per below.

It hit home when I saw the file unencrypted file 65518339-F04A-4B70-839E-FD168961FDV1 in the StreamFab directory that include a "Token Id", my email address, IP address, machine id, etc... - don't know how they do it (if the token in file links back to database), but they said they do below.

I did see another unencrypted version of the above file that only had the token ID in it and I believe it was in the DVDFab directory, but I didn't save it.

The version of it in StreamFab had *all* my identifying data plus the "token ID".

The thing that get's me is that I've seen posted a few times that they don't re-encode, but they'd would have too if they do this wouldn't they?

Found it...

Here is some information you may concern.

Therefore we took one step further to help anyone who's willing to share content to think harder before deciding to do so. We've included the customer/account id in the metadata of the files extracted from streaming platforms. For our majority of users, that understand that the files are strictly for personal use, that piece of info has no importance since the files never leave their own personal storages.

However, if someone wants to share some content they should not, they have an extra explicit step towards the illegal action. Also keep in mind that streaming platforms may have taken extra steps to prevent piracy, other less obvious tracking schemes to prevent sharing, such as watermarks (remember Cinavia?). So stay safe, don't share, don't risk an account ban. After all, only you paid for the content!
    Thanks for the link, I'm going to see if they'll disclose what metadata they are tagging. I have not seen anything myself, and everything I download just goes to my own storage (am a datahoarder), but i'd still like to know what they are modifying in the file.

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post

**Vinyl Record screeching sound**

Hold up! Competition now gets HEVC from HBO Max???? Since when???? Or is it only because the file is available in 4K so getting the 1080p will get you HEVC?

Like have you downloaded things that are not available in 4K but yet got HEVC?

BTW: I regularly get 30 MB/s on all my services with SF and i have seen 65+ MB/s on Amazon a few times
      Competition has had HEVC for a while. I've been grabbing all of my hbo & amazon stuff in HEVC. It's been available for almost everything I've grabbed from SD 480 all the way up.

Comment

Working...
      X