Two Week Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

You talking to me? As far as I can see, I'm the only one that used the word 'priority' in this conversation.
    Let's start at the beginning - The first report of the Widevine deprecation came from this article on the Bitmovin blog https://bitmovin.com/google-deprecat...evine-drm-cdm/ . Bitmovin is a major video software provider. As an example, they make the video players for Fubo, BBC, NY Times and many more. If you tour their website you'll see that they are deep in the heart of Internet video. They have the direct sources for a news story like this. According to their article:

The last time there was a DRM update it was fixed within 48 hours. I thought it was odd that if affected multiple providers but I guess a Widevine update explains a lot.
    Disc protections usually also get updated just as quickly.
    What I do expect to see if Dec 6th is the date is the program go dark, then 2 days later an update. Your concern is definitely valid, but as one of the replies suggests, they already have access to the new DRM, it could very well be implemented already.

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
      Anyway, Mike_M & artsunlimited , if you have an android device that doesn't have their Chrome updated to 107 yet, would you mind trying to access the pages that gave you those warnings and seeing if you do get that warning? My phone is at 107.0.5304.105 and my tablet is at 107.0.5304.141 so i cannot test that. I doubt yours isn't updated since 107 was released in October but who knows... I may try and see if i can get this version installed and test...
      Hi jpp72 - Sorry, as my version of Chrome is updated to 107.0.5304.141, I don't have an Android device I can test it on.
      Last edited by artsunlimited; 11-29-2022, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKrawk View Post

The last time there was a DRM update it was fixed within 48 hours. I thought it was odd that if affected multiple providers but I guess a Widevine update explains a lot.
        Disc protections usually also get updated just as quickly.
        What I do expect to see if Dec 6th is the date is the program go dark, then 2 days later an update. Your concern is definitely valid, but as one of the replies suggests, they already have access to the new DRM, it could very well be implemented already.
        Anything is possible. I'd be extremely happy if it were implemented already. Even a two day wait sounds good to me. I've put myself into a total 'wait and see' mindset at this point. I just have a hunch that most of the major players are going to make their move this weekend just because that's when they've tended to do that in the past. Not that it is planned that way but it will probably coincide with the release of SF 6.0.0.5. which will result in the usual individuals badmouthing and making threats against StreamFab (until the true source of the problem is realized but an apology will never be forthcoming.) So, in other words, I'm optimistic, yet realistic, but very cynical.

Comment

What's unclear to me about this new Widevine deployment is the status of HBOMAX. We've been waiting for a fix since April to download 1080p from HBOMAX. Assuming SF cracks the new Widevine DRM, will we be able to download 1080p from HBOMAX again?

Comment

I think it depends more on what is available from the provider for each video. I downloaded a 1080p video from HBOMax a couple days ago. It was a recently released show, so older ones may still have the issue where they need to be dropped down to 720p.
            Last edited by RobinD42; 11-29-2022, 09:33 PM. Reason: an additional thought...

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
              My point is, why release a new and improved Android version if you are not anticipating a rush on it when clearly this is not something that people are clamoring for?

I'll tell you why: Google said this will only affect Windows Desktop Browsers. All of us will want to keep downloading shit so once we see Android is still working, we may decide forking over our hard earned cheddar is worth it.

I personally don't understand people who do everything on their phones as it is not very efficient in my opinion but if i can only download on Android, then i would totally install StreamFab for Android on my BlueStacks 5 install.

If that is the case, we may want to put our foot down and demand that StreamFab emulate an Android browser with the PC version of StreamFab. They will probably tell us it's not possible and bla bla bla but it doesn't hurt to try. At least the mobile license is only $30 if we are forced to get it...
              Not sure where you get no clamoring for an android version. I think Most of the people that had been asking for it (I was among them) had given up hope of it happening. An Android version is the key to 1080p (possibly 4k as well) on services like Disney. At least one competitor has been doing 1080p on Disney since before we lost that in StreamFab by using an Android app. Disney does not deliver 1080p or above to PCs . They do provide it on phones though.

The only reason I stopped using the competitors app is that they recompressed the downloads REALLY badly, to the point where the 720p version looked better than the 1080p version, They also watermark everything, which is mildly annoying. Additionally they charge by the download, which was less of a problem than crappy quality.

Comment

Posted by Potential_User
                An Android version is the key to 1080p (possibly 4k as well) on services like Disney.
                Disney will never never be any more than 720p through any browser.
                Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by potenial_user View Post

Not sure where you get no clamoring for an android version.
                  clam·or
                  /ˈklamər/

verb
                  gerund or present participle: clamoring

(of a group of people) shout loudly and insistently.
                  "the surging crowds clamored for attention"

make a vehement protest or demand.
                  "scientists are clamoring for a ban on all chlorine substances"

The Android release announcement has been viewed 204 times in 12 days while the PC version has been viewed 620 times in 3 days.

Since everyone pretty much gave up on it like you said, my point makes perfect sense. I was saying the timing is suspicious.
                  How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

The main reason I'm not interested in the Android app is that my Android device is a Chromebook. I haven't checked yet but I seriously doubt that Google would allow StreamFab on Google Play. A Chromebook can only run an Android app in its Stable Channel if downloaded from Google Play. You can switch over to the Developers Channel and run it but that is really a pain in the butt.
                    My phone is more forgiving but who wants to deal with working on such a small device when you are waiting for your cataracts for ripen so you can have them removed. I can't imagine that StreamFab would be any type of speed demon on the average Android phone anyway. At least my Chromebook has a Core m5 in it.
                    I don't have any experience with BlueStacks and Microsoft says my i7 isn't worthy enough to run their Windows 11 so I haven't been allowed to play around with it's Android features.

Comment

Chameleon,
                      I'm sorry, buddy, but I think you are, once again, totally misunderstanding what I wrote. At this point I don't even want to write to you anymore because you are mischaracterizing me so badly. I'm afraid that I might write another word or phrase that you don't understand and you'll twist my meaning around even worst than you already have. Peace...out.
                      I don't think there was any "misunderstanding" in his reply and I don't think it's your place to moderate what we may want to complain about either! We pay a good price for this service and expect it to work, if it doesn't then why did we pay for it? Pretty simple really.

On the other hand it was really nice of you to give us a heads up and does explain why other things haven't been addresses in a timely matter. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post

Disney will never never be any more than 720p through any browser.
                        I didn't say anything about browsers. If the android product works through the browser they've shot themselves in the foot

Comment

I didn't say anything about browsers. If the android product works through the browser they've shot themselves in the foot
                          Everything you download from StreamFab is through a browser. So it will never happen.
                          Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

The android version seems to be made, based on the work/guide published by the user "A_n_g_e_l_a" at the "videohelp" forum on 18 April 2022. Just search for "Downloading and decryption on your Android phone." in google.

Comment

I just have a hunch that most of the major players are going to make their move this weekend just because that's when they've tended to do that in the past. Not that it is planned that way but it will probably coincide with the release of SF 6.0.0.5. which will result in the usual individuals badmouthing and making threats against StreamFab (until the true source of the problem is realized but an apology will never be forthcoming.)
                              Ok, I admit it, I'm not Nostradamus. ​​
                              Last edited by Cats4U; 12-05-2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Ok, I admit it, I'm not Nostradamus. ​​
                                Don't the content providers have to re-encode their entire video libraries to use the new Widevine DRM? Or are the videos encoded on the fly as they are streamed? I'm asking because one can still download old videos on HBOMAX at 1080p.

Comment

Working...
                                X