FYI: HBO Max Becomes Max on May 23rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI: HBO Max Becomes Max on May 23rd

Just a heads up that HBO Max will become Max on May 23rd.

​ ​Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	424204

Although it doesn't affect StreamFab users because HBO Max is only 720p and will be for the foreseeable future​, looks like you will need a new, more expensive plan to access 4K.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	424205

It says new subscribers so idk what happens to 4K content for current subscribers and also, they don't say only select content is in 4K so i wonder if it's just an oversight or if there will be a lot more 4K so they don't feel it necessary to point out not everything is in 4K...

New URL will be max.com so HBO Max module will need to be updated <sarcasm> so we can all download in 720p and buy UniFab to upscale a single movie in as little as 32 hours.</sarcasm>
    How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

And Per Variety.... https://variety.com/2023/digital/new...rs-1235580640/

"If you get HBO with your cable or satellite TV package, you may have access to Max at no extra cost, according to Warner Bros. Discovery. The company is listing which pay-TV providers will support Max at this link; right now, the site doesn’t indicate which tier will be available to cable and satellite customers. Distribution partners currently lined up to offer Max are: AT&T, Cox, Cricket, DirecTV, Dish, Hulu, Altice USA’s Optimum, Amazon’s Prime Video Channels, Charter’s Spectrum, Verizon and Comcast’s Xfinity."

So I guess I'll have to wait and see what level of Max I get since I HBO is part of my comcast cable plan and it includes HBOMax. ​

It does look like I can ditch my Discovery+ subscription though.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post

KidJoe,

I was wondering the same thing.

If I could ditch Discovery+, since I also have it via Amazon as a Channel.

I don't think you will be able to ditch Discovery+ subscription per a few articles I read depending on what content is offered on each - and what you watch.

Here's a couple of references showing what I mean:

https://www.indiewire.com/2023/04/ma...bo-1234827674/

1. It will include much of Discovery+, a service that is a whole lot less prestigious (and less expensive) than HBO Max.

https://www.indiewire.com/2023/02/wa...us-1234807781/

2. Additionally, not all Discovery programming will go to the Max/Discovery+ hybrid service; some will remain exclusive to Discovery+.

I'm in a wait-n-see mode.

Right now I have the HBOMax/Cinemax Channel combo on Amazon Prime that also gives me the standalone HBOMax logon access, and Discovery+ as a channel on Amazon Prime.

Another thing of concern is that a few articles mentioned redesign of menu/etc... which *might* cause some issues accessing via HBOMax standalone (StreamFab only does 720p now for it) and result in need for re-programming.

But the chances of this effecting HBOMax, as a channel (StreamFab currently supports 1080p this way), would be less.

Curious to see if Amazon Prime offers a new bundle featuring HBOMax/Discovery+ as a channel with reduced rate or not.

I guess we'll see later down the road.

I'm liking HBOMax as a channel on Amazon right now (that also gives you a standalone HBOMax login), because it gives me 3 ways for 1080p access -

1. StreamFab (Amz Prime Channel) - 1080p for me.
      2. Other (Amazon Prime/HBO Max channel) & HBOMax Standalone - Both have 1080p for me.

This way I'm less likely to have problems due to DRM issues that might go for months that have caused 720p access via one mode and have more options.

Mike

US, CST, No VPN

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post

New URL will be max.com so HBO Max module will need to be updated <sarcasm> so we can all download in 720p and buy UniFab to upscale a single movie in as little as 32 hours.</sarcasm>
        Jpp72,

I hear you.

After *not* being impressed with DVDFab enlarger & smoother modules (which I purchased) due to 1) Quality & results 2) Lack of models 3) time it took to process files, I looked elsewhere for upscaling/enhancement software & am now very happy.

It is very important that any software that does this type of processing stay on top of Graphic Cards used & driver support with new features and optimizes their software for speed and features.

From what I've read in Unifab forum and feedback from some users, it's not optimized for these cards nor updated in a timely fashion for Nvidia's drivers that were last updated 3/23/23 & Usually updated monthly.

I don't know if these is due to DVDFab supporting *so* many products and limited developer/programmer support or what.

These topics do tend to crossover between this forum and DVDFAb (enlarger/smoother) and Unifab forums due to customers that use StreamFab needing/wanting enhancement of Apple+ 360p, HBOMax (as direct website) 720p and other sub 1080p files encountered from other Streaming services (Tubi is one of note for me).

Mike

US, CST, No VPN, RTX 3080Ti & RTX 2070 Super

Last edited by Mike_M; 04-13-2023, 12:52 AM.

Comment

The Max change got me thinking and so I did some Spring cleaning. I unsubscribed from HBOMax ($9.99) and Netflix ($15.49) and am going to save myself $25.48+tax. I looked at what series I usually download from them and how many other miscellaneous things I occasionally get from them and I don't think it is worth the price to me. Add in that Max will be a watered down HBOMax and I'm not burning with desire to watch Discovery+ and Magnolia stuff, I think WB made the decision easy for me for that streamer. Netflix was even an easier decision because of the price and my not having one single show on my "My List". Netflix is great if you want to binge old shows and movies but frankly, whatever shows I would want to binge, I already have. If it turns out that there is something from either one of those two that I really want to download, I'll get it via a torrent. Doing it that way also assures that I'll be able to get it at 1080p or sometimes higher.

Comment

Yeah i hope this is the case. I am hoping the stuff that is only available on Discovery+ US will go to Max. I sub to both the US and Canada one for 2 reasons:
            1. US one has a bunch of stuff not available in Canada like stuff from CNN and HLN (Killer Coworkers, American Pain and other True Crime stuff)
            2. Canadian one has no DRM and i can download my stuff with subtitles using yt-dlp. StreamFab STILL doesn't get the subtitles even after i detailed how to get the subtitles in multiple posts.

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

KidJoe,

I was wondering the same thing.

If I could ditch Discovery+, since I also have it via Amazon as a Channel.

I don't think you will be able to ditch Discovery+ subscription per a few articles I read depending on what content is offered on each - and what you watch.

Like you said, it's gonna have to be a wait and see. The Discovery+ Amazon Channel is annoying to me as the H265 bitrates are extreme overkill. I got StreamFab to get H265 stuff to replace my H264 stuff but what sense does it make to have an H265 larger than what the H264 is? And for ridiculousness like Darcey & Stacey? No thanks. I actually have been downloading H264 with yt-dlp and then converting to H265 with VidCoder. Hopefully the stuff available on Max will have the same types of bitrates HBO Max has on APV.

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Jpp72,

I hear you.

After *not* being impressed with DVDFab enlarger & smoother modules (which I purchased) due to 1) Quality & results 2) Lack of models 3) time it took to process files, I looked elsewhere for upscaling/enhancement software & am now very happy.

It is very important that any software that does this type of processing stay on top of Graphic Cards used & driver support with new features and optimizes their software for speed and features.

From what I've read in Unifab forum and feedback from some users, it's not optimized for these cards nor updated in a timely fashion for Nvidia's drivers that were last updated 3/23/23 & Usually updated monthly.

I don't know if these is due to DVDFab supporting *so* many products and limited developer/programmer support or what.

These topics do tend to crossover between this forum and DVDFAb (enlarger/smoother) and Unifab forums due to customers that use StreamFab needing/wanting enhancement of Apple+ 360p, HBOMax (as direct website) 720p and other sub 1080p files encountered from other Streaming services (Tubi is one of note for me).
            I wish they were more transparent with the size of the workforce and if the same people work on all products or if they have dedicated teams per product or module inside a product. I understand the need to come up with new shit to sell but when is it enough? The way i see it now is they are a Jack-of-all-trades but definitely Master of None.

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
            The Max change got me thinking and so I did some Spring cleaning. I unsubscribed from HBOMax ($9.99) and Netflix ($15.49) and am going to save myself $25.48+tax. I looked at what series I usually download from them and how many other miscellaneous things I occasionally get from them and I don't think it is worth the price to me. Add in that Max will be a watered down HBOMax and I'm not burning with desire to watch Discovery+ and Magnolia stuff, I think WB made the decision easy for me for that streamer. Netflix was even an easier decision because of the price and my not having one single show on my "My List". Netflix is great if you want to binge old shows and movies but frankly, whatever shows I would want to binge, I already have. If it turns out that there is something from either one of those two that I really want to download, I'll get it via a torrent. Doing it that way also assures that I'll be able to get it at 1080p or sometimes higher.
            Funny enough, after i got all the prestige content from HBO Max in H265, i kept it to download movies in H265. My movie collection is now down to ~8500 from a high of ~14000​. I am still deleting stuff i (or my family and friends) will never watch but i want to replace the stuff i am keeping with an H265 version.

So every first of the month, i login to HBO Max and go to the Last Chance section to look at what will be leaving the site at the end of the month. If i currently have a H264 version, i search for it on APV and download it through there so i can get the 1080p version.

If i can merge HBO Max and Discovery+ payment into one lower one, i will be happy.

I was seriously thinking of dumping Netflix but my parents love it because most of the content has French audio available. Don't want to deprive them of that little pleasure in their retirement...

Comment

Posted by jpp72
              Although it doesn't affect StreamFab users because HBO Max is only 720p and will be for the foreseeable future​, looks like you will need a new, more expensive plan to access 4K
              Does this program's HBOMax module allow any 4K downloads, if it does I guess I may have missed them, I know " The Last of US" is in 4K, I downloaded it with another program in 4K but here it's only 720p. Maybe I don't know how to navigate the 4K option here.​
              Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                Does this program's HBOMax module allow any 4K downloads, if it does I guess I may have missed them, I know " The Last of US" is in 4K, I downloaded it with another program in 4K but here it's only 720p. Maybe I don't know how to navigate the 4K option here.​
                Some older titles can still be downloaded in 1080p & 4K. Like you said, The Last of Us we can download the 1st 6 episodes i think in 4K and i remember downloading Black Adam in 4K.

I just tried right now with 6.1.1.3 and The Last of Us still works:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	974
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	424246

Comment

Maybe I don't know how to navigate the 4K option here.​
                  Even if you enable the option to download HBO Max stuff at 4K, the pop-up window for the download will select the highest 1080p by default. If you click the drop-down then you will see the 4K resolutions

Views:	977
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	424252

Comment

Thanks for the heads up but this program just doesn't have enough 4K to make it worthwhile to spend more money on a subscription for it. HBOMax here has way too much 720p mixed in with the old 1080p programs. And even though it's been a while since they fix HBOMax maybe I'll think about the more expensive subscription when Fab fixes it.

Comment

I just installed 6.1.1.7 and its the same stuff. I am beginning to think this will never be fixed.

Name:	Knowing.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	424263

Comment

I just installed 6.1.1.7 and its the same stuff. I am beginning to think this will never be fixed.

Name:	Knowing.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	424263
                        I am with you on that. It looks to me like the HBO Max DEV lacks the expertise here... Competitor can do it and half a dozen pirate scene groups can do it too...

I am glad HBO Max is back on Amazon or i would have to use the competitor to get stuff from HBO and it would be a lot more work since the competitor only does MP4 and you cannot select the bitrate. Too much post processing would be needed to get what i want.

Comment

More info on the new Max Plans:

Views:	810
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	424460

Views:	788
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	424461​​

Comment

Discovery Plus and Max are NOT combining.

From the MAX website....

Max will include:
                            • All of HBO Max: HBO series and movies, Max Originals, and series and movies from Warner Bros., DC, Cartoon Network, New Line Cinema, The CW, CNN Films, the Turner Library, Looney Tunes and more.
                            • Discovery favorites: The best real-life shows from your favorite TV brands: HGTV, the Food Network, TLC, ID, Magnolia Network, Discovery, and more.
                            HBOMAX already contains select Discovery Shows....

What happens if I subscribe to both HBO Max and discovery+?

When Max is available on May 23rd, HBO Max subscribers can stream all of HBO Max together with a selection of Discovery favorites on Max.

discovery+ will continue as a stand-alone service.

Comment

And Per Variety.... https://variety.com/2023/digital/new...rs-1235580640/

"If you get HBO with your cable or satellite TV package, you may have access to Max at no extra cost, according to Warner Bros. Discovery. The company is listing which pay-TV providers will support Max at this link; right now, the site doesn’t indicate which tier will be available to cable and satellite customers. Distribution partners currently lined up to offer Max are: AT&T, Cox, Cricket, DirecTV, Dish, Hulu, Altice USA’s Optimum, Amazon’s Prime Video Channels, Charter’s Spectrum, Verizon and Comcast’s Xfinity."

So I guess I'll have to wait and see what level of Max I get since I HBO is part of my comcast cable plan and it includes HBOMax. ​

Hi Joe....

I'm guessing by their wording about checking with your provider about price changes is going to mean you'll get 1080p ad free. Same price as your provider now charges.
                              If you want 4K...you need to pay more.

Comment

Working...
                              X