H265 file size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H265 file size

I am testing out how much size difference there is between h265 and h264. My test included downloading a couple episodes of Cobra Kai in h265 and comparing them to the same which I already have in h264. I'm not really seeing much space savings at all. See results below:

S05E01 - h264 size 850mb, h265 788mb. I thought from previous test of playing around with the two codecs, I should get closer to 50% savings in file size?

Using dvdfab and ripping blurays I saw big savings in the size between both. Why am I not seeing this in Streamfab with this example.

I only get 1080p max with Netflix as I don't pay for the higher quality streams. But I would still assume I'd get much smaller file size regardless.

Then something is wrong, you should be a 30% smaller file with comparable quality in H265. Its a fact.
    Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

It depends on the bitrate the file was encoded at. While h265 can produce a file of roughly equal visual fidelity in a lower file size, that's accomplished by being able to encode the final output at a lower bitrate. I've noticed that some media available in h265 via various streaming sites is sometimes encoded at a higher bitrate than the same media that is encoded with h264, resulting in a larger file size. Why it is occasionally done this way, I have no idea - well, I have an idea, but it really doesn't make much sense.

Comment

This something i always found annoying. You see providers encode H264 at say 3500kbps and then they encode the H265 at 4000kbps...

Finally Amazon has wised up and are no longer doing this. They have significantly lowered the bitrates.

For Netflix, you will see a much lesser improvemnt with H265 if you downloaded H264 from the High Profile. If you were to download from the Main H264 profile, you'd probably notice it more.

On Netflix, i was downloading The Flash earlier seasons at H264 Main and converting to H265 and gaining lots of space but season 9 i downloaded on the High profile and converting to H265 at the same settings as the previous versions resulted in bigger files at H265. So i kept the H264 for season 9
        How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Thanks for the info. I tried with Amazon, and I see the size difference as expected falling between the 30-50% range just not with Netflix. But what you say about Netflix and the bitrate makes sense thanks for that info. Oh and yes I was using the High Profile with 264 in the comparison.

Thanks again.

Comment

Netflix is all over the board with bitrates and such. Even from episode to episode, h264 or h265.

Comment

Ok this is the 2nd time in a week that this happens...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	195
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	426011

When trying to see corey75 's post, i get

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	184
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	426012
              Are the admins just deleting posts they don't like or can the post author do that?​​
              How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
                Ok this is the 2nd time in a week that this happens...

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	15.3 KB ID:	426011

When trying to see corey75 's post, i get

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	4.3 KB ID:	426012
                Are the admins just deleting posts they don't like or can the post author do that?​​
                That reply was removed by corey75, so you could not check it.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot-20230601-111356.png Views:	0 Size:	5.0 KB ID:	426059

Comment

Working...
                X