Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do to check whether the loaded video is correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do to check whether the loaded video is correct?

Hey, I need your advice. What do you do to check whether the loaded video is correct?

In rare cases, small pieces of the file are missing, which means that the video stops at a point that is missing.

I only have one way to check. Namely, downloading each video twice and comparing the file sizes, if they are identical, the file has been loaded and processed correctly. If the size is different, one of them is defective! As I said, it is very rare.
    But I'm currently watching a series that I downloaded in March and there are already a lot of files in one season that are missing a bit. I found a program online that can check and repair MP4 files. Unfortunately, this classifies every file by RTL+ as faulty, even though it actually isn't. Amazon does it this way and that way. So nothing you can rely on...

I mean, I can't always download every film and series twice, that would make me crazy!

I'm looking forward to your advice, Cats4U, jpp72 Chameleon you are the experts :-)​

Originally posted by Sebastian001 View Post
    Hey, I need your advice. What do you do to check whether the loaded video is correct?

In rare cases, small pieces of the file are missing, which means that the video stops at a point that is missing.

I only have one way to check. Namely, downloading each video twice and comparing the file sizes, if they are identical, the file has been loaded and processed correctly. If the size is different, one of them is defective! As I said, it is very rare.
    But I'm currently watching a series that I downloaded in March and there are already a lot of files in one season that are missing a bit. I found a program online that can check and repair MP4 files. Unfortunately, this classifies every file by RTL+ as faulty, even though it actually isn't. Amazon does it this way and that way. So nothing you can rely on...

I mean, I can't always download every film and series twice, that would make me crazy!

I'm looking forward to your advice, Cats4U, jpp72 Chameleon you are the experts :-)​
    try with mediainfo - https://www.videohelp.com/software/MediaInfo

MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files. The MediaInfo data display includes: Container: format, profile, commercial name of the format, duration, overall bit rate. Video: format, codec , aspect, frame rate. Audio: format, codec id, sample rate, channels. Text: format, codec id, language of subtitle Chapters: count of chapters, list of chapters.

Comment

I'm not an expert on this subject. When I run into a video problem that I know nothing about I usually turn first to the true experts at Videohelp.com. Go through these messages and see if anything sounds like your problem and give their suggestions a try.

Comment

Thanks for the tips so far!

But I want to clarify again. I'm not interested in repairing a file. I want to check whether a file is OK. If it's not OK, I'll just download it again. It's a better option than loading everything twice and comparing file sizes as a precaution.​

Comment

Something that has been working pretty well for me is using Icaros to add video properties to Windows Explorer's details columns.

I add the Length, Video tracks, Audio Tracks, Frame Height, Subtitle tracks and Total bitrate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	257
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	432934

Then i can easily see when one sticks out. Usually i will notice a huge file difference and is also associated with a very small bitrate.

If you download just 1 file then i guess that doesn't help

Comment

The problem is the size can look ok but the file may still have issues. for example with Pluto for instance, the audio can start out ok and then disappear part way through the recording....

Comment

Originally posted by myuishi View Post
              The problem is the size can look ok but the file may still have issues. for example with Pluto for instance, the audio can start out ok and then disappear part way through the recording....
              Are you using an old version of StreamFab? That issue was corrected several updates ago. I hope it is not back again but I haven't seen anyone else post about it recently.

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
                Something that has been working pretty well for me is using Icaros to add video properties to Windows Explorer's details columns.

I add the Length, Video tracks, Audio Tracks, Frame Height, Subtitle tracks and Total bitrate:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	432934

Then i can easily see when one sticks out. Usually i will notice a huge file difference and is also associated with a very small bitrate.

If you download just 1 file then i guess that doesn't help

Yes, that's how I've always done it on RTL+. They always have the same bit rate. I just always checked that it was 25 frames per second and that the bit rate was 792x. Sometimes there were files with 24.xx frames per second or bit rates below 792x, so it was clear to me that the video was broken and I had to reload it.

But here in this series the parameters were fine for me. See for yourself the marked episodes are the old ones with errors and the new ones with a part missing. The only difference is the file size. The image is pixelated for 1-2 seconds and the sound is missing during this time.

However, I also have to say that the RTL+ module was worse before the major website change. Maybe the "old" one was just more error prone...​

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-14 224318.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	432964
                Last edited by Sebastian001; 11-14-2023, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I spot check everything with media player classic. Most common failure I see is where it saves 2 seconds of video but the entire audio track is there. Obviously jumping ahead, the video will not jump ahead.

Comment

I have already tried this program. It shows me errors on all downloads. Just not on Amazon. Maybe someone would like to test it out for themselves. Let's see what he says.

But it's a good example of what I'm looking for. I give the file and press check and get a good or bad. It's the only tool I've found so far.

Digital Video Repair 3.7.1.0 (Free) for Windows (risingresearch.com)​​​

Comment

CAUTION: Contains malware/adware/virus. If you install, go to https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove...ant-knowledge/ on how to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

Are you using an old version of StreamFab? That issue was corrected several updates ago. I hope it is not back again but I haven't seen anyone else post about it recently.
                        Unfortunately not, I always use the latest version on Windows. I'd say the last fix improved it but missing audio when the various parts are combined is definitely still fairly prevalent in Pluto here I'm afraid. The 1st part is ok and then it might fail at the 'join' point of 1 of the remaining parts. There is also a new issue when some recordings come down as just 1K ish MKV files on Pluto, seems to be consistent here on certain programmes.

Comment

Working...
                        X