Clarification On "Test Versions" Being Issued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab for Windows Clarification On "Test Versions" Being Issued

I've noticed that a number of what's being referred to as "Test Versions" are being issued in response to certain problem reports.....

With very rare exceptions..... I never install a new update when it first comes out..... I have a simple philosophy regarding software that is a combination of two old adages.....

"Just because you can..... doesn't mean you should!"..... and..... "The only thing worse than the devil that you know..... is the devil that you don't!".....

If there's an update released..... I want to make sure that it's fixing what it is supposed to fix..... and that nothing else is broken as collateral damage in the attempt..... so I wait a while to see what others experience.....

Having said that..... I'd like to clarify what exactly I'll end up with if I decided to download any of the "Test Versions"..... so I ask the following question with all due respect.....

If I'm currently running StreamFab x64 version 6.1.4.9..... and I were to download the current fix for the "Netflix logging out" problem..... what do I end up with?.....

Do I have StreamFab x64 version 6.1.4.9 with a patch?..... or.....

Do I have the most current version..... StreamFab x64 6.1.5.2..... which would now include the "Test Version" as part of what was originally released without it?..... or.....

Do I have StreamFab x64 version 6.1.4.9 as it is..... with a totally separate algorithm which will execute when Netflix is called for?..... or.....

You tell me what I end up with because maybe I'm the only one..... but I am confused.....

And if I'm not the only one who is confused..... maybe in the future..... to alleviate this confusion..... when a "Test Version" is issued..... it could be issued with a letter prefix designation..... indicating that it isn't a full version upgrade..... but a specific necessary correction that is time sensitive.....

For example..... 6.1.5.2a..... 6.1.5.2b..... so that it can be tracked numerically with a logical progression that all Users are familiar with.....

That's all I have.....

Thanks!

Last edited by weavermovies; 12-07-2023, 03:10 AM.

Current Ignore List: Brozilla, Chameleon, NewMelle, hizbf, radiah

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post

If I'm currently running StreamFab x64 version 6.1.4.9..... and I were to download the current fix for the "Netflix logging out" problem..... what do I end up with?.....

Do I have StreamFab x64 version 6.1.4.9 with a patch?..... or.....

Do I have the most current version..... StreamFab x64 6.1.5.2..... which would now include the "Test Version" as part of what was originally released without it?..... or.....

Do I have StreamFab x64 version 6.1.4.9 as it is..... with a totally separate algorithm which will execute when Netflix is called for?..... or.....

You tell me what I end up with because maybe I'm the only one..... but I am confused.....
    The test versions are usually a pre-release of the next version. Sometimes the devs don't increment the version metadata or even the filename but you will get the latest version.

For the Netflix problem, there was a "newer" v6.1.5.2 that didn't really work. Then, a test version of v6.1.5.3 was released and that fixed the Netflix issue.

That means unless some other random small fixes are put in tonight, tomorrow's release will be exactly the same as the "good" test version.

I would tell you to keep both versions v6.1.4.9 and v6.1.5.3 but since new settings were introduced in v6.1.5.2, it's not a good idea. But when settings/options are the same, you can have multiple versions of StreamFab installed.
    How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
      The test versions are usually a pre-release of the next version. Sometimes the devs don't increment the version metadata or even the filename but you will get the latest version.

For the Netflix problem, there was a "newer" v6.1.5.2 that didn't really work. Then, a test version of v6.1.5.3 was released and that fixed the Netflix issue.

That means unless some other random small fixes are put in tonight, tomorrow's release will be exactly the same as the "good" test version.

I would tell you to keep both versions v6.1.4.9 and v6.1.5.3 but since new settings were introduced in v6.1.5.2, it's not a good idea. But when settings/options are the same, you can have multiple versions of StreamFab installed.
      Three things.....

First..... Thanks for the quick response.....

Second..... In my original post..... where I said..... "it could be issued with a letter prefix designation"..... that should have read..... "it could be issued with a letter suffix designation"..... which I'm sure anyone reading already figured out..... It was my oversight when proofreading and by the time I noticed it..... the edit period had timed out.....

and Third..... Now that this forum seems to be operating with all its options..... I notice that posts are being marked as "Answered".....

Is that marking up to the originator of the thread..... in this case Me..... and if it is..... where is the place that the "Answered" option can be found to activate it..... or is that something to be taken care of by StreamFab Staff and Moderators at their discretion?.....

In any case..... as far as I'm concerned..... the question has been answered.....

Thanks!
      Last edited by weavermovies; 12-07-2023, 06:23 AM.

Current Ignore List: Brozilla, Chameleon, NewMelle, hizbf, radiah

Comment

Working...
      X