Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab for Windows StreamFab 6.1.6.7 x64..... And Why You Should Be Using This Version

I know I said I wasn't posting on this board anymore..... but of course I still have to read it to find out the status of the DRM fixes..... if and when they ever come.....

But I keep reading these posts about re-encoding..... and not being able to stream older 1080p videos..... and Netflix not working at all..... and I decided I'm going to submit this post and you can do with it what you will.....

Understand..... what I'm about to say has basically already been said by Cats4U ..... all I'm doing here is saying it in more detail..... but for the life of me I don't know why you all just haven't followed his advice.....

For me..... the Windows version of StreamFab 6.1.6.7 x64 is what I'm staying with until the DRM gets fixed..... and I mean really fixed with no re-encoding.....

Windows StreamFab 6.1.6.7 x64 gives me the following results..... WITH NO RE-ENCODING.....

For AMAZON..... 6.1.6.7 allows me to get a video at 1080p if it was acquired prior to the DRM change..... and if the video was acquired after the DRM change..... it will give me 540p..... or sometimes 480p..... but the lower resolution signals me that the video is being affected by the DRM change..... It should also be noted that I get my MAX through Amazon and the results are the same as I just stated.....

For NETFLIX..... 6.1.6.7 allows me to get a video at 1080p if it was acquired prior to the DRM change..... and if the video was acquired after the DRM change..... it will give me a "failed" during analysis after 4 or 5 passes of the "green bar"..... which is telling me that the video is being affected by the DRM change.....

For PEACOCK..... 6.1.6.7 allows me to get a video at 1080p if it was acquired prior to the DRM change..... and if the video was acquired after the DRM change..... it will endlessly analyze..... and if you click on "Home"..... you'll see the infamous "Orangey the Cat"..... which of course is telling me that the video is being affected by the DRM change.....

Everything else seems to be working as it should as shown in the Banner up top..... with the exception of PLUTO which just endlessly analyzes..... I haven't reported it as a problem because I don't want to muddy the waters and give the developer something he can use as low hanging fruit when his time should be being devoted 24/7 to fixing the DRM shortfalls.....

I have tried 6.1.6.8..... 6.1.6.9..... and the Test Version..... whatever number that's supposed to be..... and I'm not wasting my time on what they do or don't do because they all include forms of re-encoding with varying results..... and inhibit some or all of the ability to get videos that were acquired prior to the DRM change from being downloaded in 1080p.....

Let me again state..... these are the results I get on my laptop using StreamFab 6.1.6.7 x64..... running the most current Windows 10 version..... I'm in Northern Virginia..... using Verizon FIOS gigabyte..... and I don't use a VPN.....

There you have it.​

If you decide to download it..... follow all the recommendations as far as doing a complete uninstall first.

Last edited by weavermovies; 03-22-2024, 03:18 PM.

Current Ignore List: Brozilla, Chameleon

Very nice, Weavermovies! Good job explaining. Jack was the one that did all the testing on the shall we say, lesser streamers that are listed as working normally. Things might have changed since then. I will test out Pluto and remove it from the banner if it is not working.

In case anyone is wondering where Jack is, he recently received a big promotion at his workplace. He is now a Director of a department within a large Canadian software company. He needed some time to get acquainted with his new position and since we are relatively slow here now, he is taking a short hiatus from our DRM crisis. He'll be back shortly.

Comment

Thank you, "weaver", for posting a link to the older version!

I held off on upgrading for as long as possible, but the latest version had a Roku fix that I was looking for, so I took the plunge and upgraded. What I didn't know (or didn't have easy access to) was how to downgrade back to the earlier version since I didn't start keeping archival copies until now...

Comment

Thank you weavermovies! "...if it was acquired prior to the DRM change..... and if the video was acquired after the DRM change...": how can we find out the acquired date of Amazon and Netflix content?

Comment

Actually..... I need to modify what I said about "Everything else seems to be working as it should as shown in the Banner up top".....

What I said about AMAZON..... MAX..... NETFLIX..... and PEACOCK..... is correct.....​

What I said about PLUTO and endlessly analyzing stands.....​

HULU..... PARAMOUNT+..... AND TUBI..... also appear to be working as they did prior to the DRM change.....

They are all the streaming services I use and have knowledge.....

However..... I have no knowledge regarding the other services which appear and I have not mentioned because I do not use them.....

And since I'm here..... one last remark.....

When the Banner up top says a service is "back to normal"..... it should be understood that any problem which existed prior to the most recent DRM change will still exist in the "back to normal" state..... because as anyone knows who has been a User for a couple years or longer..... there are items which haven't been fixed for quite some time..... so keep that in mind when you're looking for functions to be present that aren't associated with this latest DRM change..... because they were problems prior to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Streaky View Post
            Thank you weavermovies! "...if it was acquired prior to the DRM change..... and if the video was acquired after the DRM change...": how can we find out the acquired date of Amazon and Netflix content?
            That's a good question..... The answer is you can't.....

I go to IMDB for TV episodes to see what date they say it was released..... and that's good most of the time..... but for older series it may not be.....

However..... for movies you can't go by the release date..... That's why you see me using the term "acquisition date"..... because that's when a movie is added to a streaming service's catalog..... and that's the date that counts.....

If a movie is new..... of course then the release date can be used because it is a hard date..... but for movies a year or more old..... it's a guessing game since you aren't sure when it was acquired by an individual streaming service because all the videos make the rounds from one to another.....

I just go by the way a video reacts as I described above in my opening post..... if I get 1080p..... it's before..... and if I can't get it at 1080p..... it's after.....

So if you find out where you can get the date 100% of the time..... you can let everyone know..... me included.

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post
              you all just haven't followed his advice.....

For me..... the Windows version of StreamFab 6.1.6.7 x64 is what I'm staying with until the DRM gets fixed..... and I mean really fixed with no re-encoding.....

Windows StreamFab 6.1.6.7 x64 gives me the following results..... WITH NO RE-ENCODING.....

For AMAZON..... 6.1.6.7 allows me to get a video at 1080p if it was acquired prior to the DRM change..... and if the video was acquired after the DRM change..... it will give me 540p..... or sometimes 480p..... but the lower resolution signals me that the video is being affected by the DRM change..... It should also be noted that I get my MAX through Amazon and the results are the same as I just stated.....
              Hi,
              I also want to give my opinion to this (Amazon Prime).
              I run the 6.1.6.9 Test-Version for the following reasons: Whatever is not affected by the DRM changes I get downloaded in the requested codec, resolution and and bitrate. Whatever is affected by DRM I get in the requested resolution but re-encoded to H.264 (also if requested H.265). The bitrate of the re-encoded content seems to relate to the requested bit rate. So you must keep in mind, that the bit rate of H.256 (HEVC) is lower than for H.264. If you realise that re-encoding takes place and you requested H.265, you may want to stop the download and request H.264 instead alogn with your desired Bitrate as otherwise you get the content re-encoded based on the bitrate you requested for H.265.
              In that case I normally choose the maximum possible for H.264 then and re-encode afterwards to H.265 with Vidcoder or Hadbrake. As I only watch on a HD TV this quality fits my needs. If I don't want re-encodog, I still have the choice to explicitly request 580p. In that case SF does not reencode. Personally I prefer the quality of reencoded HD over not re-encoded SD.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattanders View Post
                Hi,
                I also want to give my opinion to this (Amazon Prime).
                I run the 6.1.6.9 Test-Version for the following reasons: Whatever is not affected by the DRM changes I get downloaded in the requested codec, resolution and and bitrate. Whatever is affected by DRM I get in the requested resolution but re-encoded to H.264 (also if requested H.265). The bitrate of the re-encoded content seems to relate to the requested bit rate. So you must keep in mind, that the bit rate of H.256 (HEVC) is lower than for H.264. If you realise that re-encoding takes place and you requested H.265, you may want to stop the download and request H.264 instead alogn with your desired Bitrate as otherwise you get the content re-encoded based on the bitrate you requested for H.265.
                In that case I normally choose the maximum possible for H.265 then and re-encode afterwards to H.265 with Vidcoder or Hadbrake. As I only watch on a HD TV this quality fits my needs. If I don't want re-encodog, I still have the choice to explicitly request 580p. In that case SF does not reencode. Personally I prefer the quality of reencoded HD over not re-encoded SD.
                I want to bring your attention to the caveat I included in the first part of my opening post in this thread.....

"and I decided I'm going to submit this post and you can do with it what you will.....".....

Now..... what I'm about to say I say with the utmost respect..... so please..... don't take this as a confrontation.....

I understand what you just said..... but how many Users do you think did..... and how many Users did you just thoroughly confuse because they're back to wondering what version they should use?.....

I posted information that could easily by digested by the 7 out of 10 who are..... at best..... entry level regarding this downloading video thing..... and that's not a criticism..... because a person only knows what they know until they learn more.....

I gave them the version 6.1.6.7 that is constant..... the easiest to use because it leaves nothing to interpretation and produces an expected A or B result..... along with a simple explanation of..... "if the video does this..... it means this (A)..... if not..... it means that (B)"..... and they don't have to worry about re-encoding..... or bit rates..... or file wrappers..... or a third party reprocesser..... or anything else that is confusing to an entry level person.....

Personally..... I see posts and wonder why would anyone ever choose to download in other than H265 (HVEC)..... or other than CVBR..... assuming they're both available..... but in the grand scheme of things..... it doesn't matter what I wonder..... It's my choice..... and I know why I'm making it.....

So Yes!.... What you said obviously works for you and is correct..... and that's great.....

But what is the goal of this forum..... especially now..... when there are two versions 6.1.6.8 and 6.1.6.9..... a Test version that doesn't even have a number..... all acting differently..... and no one seems to know exactly how?.....

I was trying to bring things to a point where there is no wondering by the people who are doing the wondering..... because the people who have the knowledge don't need to read what I wrote at all.....

Therefore..... I hope for two things after this is read.....

First..... that you can see why I responded and take no offense because I assure you..... none is intended..... and.....

Two..... that anyone who read the opening post of this thread takes my advice and uses 6.1.6.7..... unless they are of a knowledge level that they know why they're deciding not to.....

Thank you for your understanding.​
                Last edited by weavermovies; 03-22-2024, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Well, I have had the program for a while and downloaded everything I want to keep, so for users like me, it is also useless. but for new people coming here, it is a nice gesture to have a working version of old movies. But once they get updated it will be also useless unless, of course, they want 540p or nothing at all that is new. After the above dates that are listed in the banner, the program is useless.
                  Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Therefore..... I hope for two things after this is read.....

First..... that you can see why I responded and take no offense because I assure you..... none is intended..... and.....

Two..... that anyone who read the opening post of this thread takes my advice and uses 6.1.6.7..... unless they are of a knowledge level that they know why they're deciding not to.....
                    No offenece and no confrontation!
                    You gave your advice and I responded with my opinion about getting the best possible quality of content with the current situation. And yes, I assume a basic knowledge about codecs (H.264 / H.265 = HEVC), bitrate (CBR versus CVBR), and audio compression such as AAC or Dolby AC-3 - after all, these are the options for the user to choose from when downloading content from Amazon Prime.

The only difference between 6.1.6.7 and the Test-Version which is based on 6.1.6.9 is, that HD/Full HD (720p/1080p blue ray quality) content which is subject to the DRM-change is downloaded only in SD (DVD-quality 480p) while in the Test-Version the choosen resolution (HD/Full HD) is maintained, which means, that a HD/Full-HD content still is HD/Full-HD after the download, however, the content gets re-encoded in order to save a playable video to the PC. Re-encoding means a minimal loss in quality compared to the source of the content - similar to editing a photo in JPG format which also gets re-encoded when saving it. Each re-encode loses quality due to the fact that all these codecs use "lossy compression".

Conclusion:
                    Use the 6.1.6.7 if all you want to do is to click "Download" without any worries, however, accepting SD quality for content subject to DRM change.
                    Use the test version if you are prepared to have much longer download (processing) times due to re-encoding for content subject to DRM change (check that the re-encoded video is complete by fast forwarding to the last few minutes of the downloaded content).

Comment

i dont know due to some reason old movies also i am getting 480p in amazon in the version 6.1.6.7

Comment

Originally posted by Idreams View Post
                        i dont know due to some reason old movies also i am getting 480p in amazon in the version 6.1.6.7
                        As I have stated..... the date which matters is when the movie was acquired by the individual streaming service..... not when the movie was originally released..... which is why I use the term "acquisition date".....

Does the movie show as being available in 1080p in the first popup that displays on your screen?.....

And how about you list 3 titles which are giving you 480p in Amazon that show in the popup that 1080p is available.

Comment

You overlooked Roku Channel. I switched from 6.1.6.6 to 6.1.6.9 when I wanted to download a show from The Roku Channel. Version 6.1.6.9 has a fix for Roku Channel. The older versions are unable to analyze the selected video and display the dialog where you add it to the download queue.

Comment

[QUOTE=weavermovies;n439661]

As I have stated..... the date which matters is when the movie was acquired by the individual streaming service..... not when the movie was originally released..... which is why I use the term "acquisition date".....

Amazon is working now ( movies released before the drm change). but when i use netflix, it logs me out and my actual password also gets resetted. i changed my netfli password 3 times . i cannot just do this everytime

what is the fix of netflix on not to logoff ?

Comment

[QUOTE=Idreams;n439665]
                              what is the fix of netflix on not to logoff ?
                              What version of StreamFab are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              X