Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRM change to Max (U.S.) or is StreamFab no longer able to process Max media?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by october262 View Post

do downloads fail on both MP4 & MKV ??
    can you download anything below 720p ?
    I normally download as MKVs, so I just tried MP4s. Still fails even if I specify a trivial resolution--well below 720.

The reason I suspected a MAX DRM or similar change is because of StreamFab's bizarre behavior. It immediately appears to misjudge the file type, suggests the video is 0KB, and attempts for less than a second to download the video at 500 BYTES/Second, jumps directly to trying to download the audio (while flipping back and forth between EAC3 and AAC), and then fails. These same videos play perfectly from within Max on my TV and iPhone. Hell, they even play in StreamFab's browser window. And yet StreamFab still works perfectly for downloads fromHulu.

At least one other user has replied that Max is still working fine for him. If there are others who have or do not have this issue with Max and could chime in with "It works for me" or "It doesn't work for me", it would help determine whether this is a universal issue or just something affecting a few of us.

Comment

Originally posted by zapt View Post

I normally download as MKVs, so I just tried MP4s. Still fails even if I specify a trivial resolution--well below 720.

The reason I suspected a MAX DRM or similar change is because of StreamFab's bizarre behavior. It immediately appears to misjudge the file type, suggests the video is 0KB, and attempts for less than a second to download the video at 500 BYTES/Second, jumps directly to trying to download the audio (while flipping back and forth between EAC3 and AAC), and then fails. These same videos play perfectly from within Max on my TV and iPhone. Hell, they even play in StreamFab's browser window. And yet StreamFab still works perfectly for downloads fromHulu.

At least one other user has replied that Max is still working fine for him. If there are others who have or do not have this issue with Max and could chime in with "It works for me" or "It doesn't work for me", it would help determine whether this is a universal issue or just something affecting a few of us.
      as a last resort, try copying the URL from MAX from your regular browser and paste it into streamfabs browser
      and see if the video will download that way.

Comment

Thanks so much! Assuming you’re in the US and are running Windows 10, this sounds like a “me problem.” I’m not sure what else I can try beyond cleaning the Cache folder again or completely reinstalling. In the meantime, I’m going to submit a ticket to support.
        Yes, I'm in the US, on Win10, and have xfinity. In case it's not obvious, it's probably important to note that the version I'm using, 6.1.6.7, is the last one before the re-encoding stuff was added for Netflix, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tshizzle View Post
          Thanks Baker for giving me some hope on resolving this problem. Max stopped working for me on several machines simultaneously last week so I figured it was something to do with SF.

Zapt I am also running win10 pro boxes and am using xfinity/crapcast connection. I can try a tmobile hotspot and see if my results differ in case it is a authentication issue via my cable provider. I really don't have any idea why it started failing like it did - could it be a windows update? Do you have any other ideas?
          I doubt whether your cable provider is the issue--particularly since both of us have the problem and my provider is a fiber-only company with unlimited downloads. In the past, when it was suspected that I might have a "me-only problem," StreamFab suggested that I delete its Cache folder and all of the subfolders within it. If you haven't tried that, it's worth a shot. But note that you'll have re-log in to Max and any other services you use StreamFab with.

Beyond that, I suppose there's a chance that installing versions over previous ones (the StreamFab default) isn't working correctly, so it might be worth specifying a different destination folder when doing a manual offline install of 6.1.7.5 or earlier, and then seeing if the problem disappears. You can find links for the most recent few offline downloads in the yellow Sticky posts at the top of the StreamFab forum.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

as a last resort, try copying the URL from MAX from your regular browser and paste it into streamfabs browser
            and see if the video will download that way.
            That was a great suggestion! I had no idea that if you copy a URL from a streaming service's browser window on the same computer, StreamFab automatically asks if you'd like to download that video. Unfortunately, in most instances, it simply starts playing in StreamFab. The one time it successfully added videos to the queue, it failed in the same manner when trying to download. On the plus side, this means that StreamFab can absolutely read the video file--at least for normal play.

Comment

I will clarify too I am only using 6.1.6.7 for any real testing and operations. Kind of looks like I might need to keep using this for a few more months at the rate development is occurring at SF. I think it is time for me to also acquire AS. I will keep trying alternatives and see what I find. I am going to boot up an unused machine (that never had any DVD/Stream FAB installs) and then install 6167 fresh and see if I can get anything to acquire and post back.
              Zapt thanks for clarifying you are on fiber so that eliminates the crapcast provider variable being the source of the issue.

Comment

Unfortunately, a clean install of 6.1.7.5 didn't change anything. According to this link, you're instructed to uninstall the application, delete the cache folder, and then reinstall. Every Max download still fails and Hulu still works fine. If anyone wants to try this, instructions can be found at Resources > FAQ > StreamFab > Features > Why is streamfab not working/always crashes? -- just in case the link above doesn't take you directly to the info.

Comment

Unfortunately, a clean install of 6.1.7.5 didn't change anything. According to this link, you're instructed to uninstall the application, delete the cache folder, and then reinstall. Every Max download still fails and Hulu still works fine. If anyone wants to try this, instructions can be found at Resources > FAQ > StreamFab > Features > Why is streamfab not working/always crashes? -- just in case the link above doesn't take you directly to the info.
                  I think re coding is the reason why many websites are stuck in the analysis process

Comment

Good news! Today's release of 6.1.7.6 for Windows fixed my issue with Max downloads. They're still restricted to 720p, but at least they're no longer failing. So far, I've downloaded an older movie and Season 2 of Velma without issue. The only glitch was that the Auto-update downloader failed (I've never seen that before), so I had to use the offline installer linked in the yellow sticky note at the top of this StreamFab forum.

Comment

....The only glitch was that the Auto-update downloader failed (I've never seen that before), so I had to use the offline installer linked in the yellow sticky note at the top of this StreamFab forum.
                      Most will recommend always using the off-line installer to upgrade. It seems to be more reliable. There have been many posts of users who updated via the "update button" inside the app, which were fixed by running the off-line installer over top.

Glad your issue is fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
                        Most will recommend always using the off-line installer to upgrade. It seems to be more reliable. There have been many posts of users who updated via the "update button" inside the app, which were fixed by running the off-line installer over top.

Glad your issue is fixed!
                        Over the two years I've been using StreamFab, the built-in updater has only caused me problem a couple of times--occasionally MAJOR problems. But with multiple DRM issues in 2024, I've come to agree with you. And I save each of the StreamFab version downloaders in a special folder to make it easy to revert to an earlier version. Wishing that the auto-updater would work consistently doesn't seem to be a reliable strategy.

Comment

Max seems to be working after upgrading to 6.1.7.6, but so far I have been limited to 360p resolutions unless you specify 720p. Everything I have queued at 1080p defaults to download at 360p. But it is downloading now and not giving the 702 error

Comment

Working...
                          X