HBOMax not downloading proper resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HBOMax not downloading proper resolution

When downloading HBOMax I select 720 in the settings. The video comes down in 1080, but when tried to play with my Plex Server the video constantly buffers and when I look at the CPU/RAM Usage on my NAS the CPU is pegged. I've seen that before when I had corrupted videos.

I took the videos and ran them through Handbrake and told it to make them 720 and they now play on the Plex Server, but the CPU on the NAS is still a little too high, goes between 50% and 75%, when it should be between 25% and 35% tops. Not sure what is going on. Issue just started today (10/1/21), I downloaded earlier this week from HBOMax and it was fine.

What is your internet upload speed? And what is your re-encoded bitrate? Plex will re-encode videos depending on your upload speed even if the resolution is correct if the bitrate is too high

Comment

Thanks, but given I haven't changed any settings on my StreamFab and have downloaded a bunch of videos without issue, I don't think it has anything to do with my Plex Server, especially since the video was downloaded in the incorrect resolution.

Comment

I have noticed the same behavior lately.
        I downloaded a couple of the latest episodes of shows from HBOMax today(Titans and Doom Patrol), even though my settings are set to download at 720p in the settings, it ignores that and downloads the highest available (both ended up in 1080p). I also downloaded a movie (The Many Saints of Newark) and again instead of it being the 720p version it downloaded the 4K version (highest available). The previous episodes I downloaded were successfully done at 720p without a problem.
        It looks like this only started happening since the latest update.
        Last edited by viscountuk; 10-04-2021, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Just wondering if you unchecked "Download HBO Max videos in 4K HDR/Dolby Vision if available" on the streaming service settings? I had the same problem until I unchecked it.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot HBOMax settings 2021-10-04 090804.png
Views:	493
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	400744

Comment

Even when I select download hbomax videos in 4kHDR/DV, I am unable to download 4k movies.
            how can we select 4k vs 1080p on the 4k movies ?

Comment

Originally posted by Idreams View Post
              Even when I select download hbomax videos in 4kHDR/DV, I am unable to download 4k movies.
              how can we select 4k vs 1080p on the 4k movies ?
              Your question is actually the reverse and the opposite from this thread as posted but have you checked all that was noted in 'rmcaw52' post in settings to download 4K from HBOMax?

There isn't a whole lot of content in 4K on HBOMax to download as yet. The list is here...Learn what you need to stream HBO Max in 4K HDR. The 3 that I have downlaoded from the list, Cry Macho, The Many Saints of Newark, Malignant, all downloaded at 2160p. Need to check/verify settings.

Comment

i am sorry i did not realize this. i dont want to hijack this thread. i will open new thread for my issue

once again i am sorry for hijacking this thread

Comment

Originally posted by rmcaw52 View Post
                  Just wondering if you unchecked "Download HBO Max videos in 4K HDR/Dolby Vision if available" on the streaming service settings? I had the same problem until I unchecked it.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot HBOMax settings 2021-10-04 090804.png
Views:	493
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	400744
                  Thanks rmcaw52, I totally missed that extra line that was snuck in there as part of version 4.0.2.0. I unchecked that box and found that everything (movies and episodes) all downloaded in the desired 720p per the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by viscountuk View Post

Thanks rmcaw52, I totally missed that extra line that was snuck in there as part of version 4.0.2.0. I unchecked that box and found that everything (movies and episodes) all downloaded in the desired 720p per the settings.
                    Yeah- Thanks! I didn't even see that option...has viscountuk mentioned, I guess it's new. I'll try to redownload a movie and post if there's still an issue, but it looks like this fixed things...Thanks again!

Comment

Something else to consider. It seems the individual download "modules" do not pickup settings changes AFTER they've launched.

I did a test with "Download HBO Max videos in 4K if available" checked. I launched StreamFab, confirmed download 4k was checked in settings, then launched the HBOMax module. I added The Matrix (which is available in 4K) to the download queue, moved HBOMax to the background and went into StreamFab's settings, unchecked download 4k, returned HBOMax to the foreground and hit download... The Matrix came down as 4K.

So If you forgot to change between 720p/1080p or check/uncheck the Download 4K, it looks like you need to exit the downloader module, make the settings change the relaunch the module.

Comment

Originally posted by funreviews View Post
                        When downloading HBOMax I select 720 in the settings. The video comes down in 1080, but when tried to play with my Plex Server the video constantly buffers and when I look at the CPU/RAM Usage on my NAS the CPU is pegged. I've seen that before when I had corrupted videos.

I took the videos and ran them through Handbrake and told it to make them 720 and they now play on the Plex Server, but the CPU on the NAS is still a little too high, goes between 50% and 75%, when it should be between 25% and 35% tops. Not sure what is going on. Issue just started today (10/1/21), I downloaded earlier this week from HBOMax and it was fine.
                        Sounds like you need a Plex client that can direct stream the 1080 stuff.

Comment

While set it like this for HBO Max downloading, it should download the video in 720p if 4K quality is not available. The developer will fix it soon. Sorry for the trouble.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot-20211008-163649.png Views:	1 Size:	5.7 KB ID:	400860
                          Last edited by Mona; 10-09-2021, 02:10 AM. Reason: to make it clearer

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post
                            While set it like this for HBO Max downloading, it should download the video in 720p. The developer will fix it soon. Sorry for the trouble.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20211008-163649.png
Views:	279
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	400860
                            so when set as 720p in the drop down AND you have Download HBOMax in 4K box checked, It downloads 1080p when 4k isn't available, even though you had 720p selected in the drop down?

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post

so when set as 720p in the drop down AND you have Download HBOMax in 4K box checked, It downloads 1080p when 4k isn't available, even though you had 720p selected in the drop down?
                              While 4K is not available for downloading, set it to 720p should download the video in 720p.
                              I didn't notice that I missed a sentence, , thank you for pointing it out. I will modify my original post to make it clearer.

Comment

Working...
                              X