Fyi - Registry Cleanup/Analysis for "StreamFab"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fyi - Registry Cleanup/Analysis for "StreamFab"

I noticed that there were a *lot* of unnecessary and old references (from previous installs) to "StreamFab" in the Registry.

This *may* be due to upgrading via StreamFab interactively vs. from offline copy, just a hunch.

Decided to do a complete cleanup since I only install now from offline versions *after* uninstalling current running version - not on top of it.

That just seems cleaner to me and less prone to a lot of error's we've been seeing.

Cloned System Drive
    Ran SFC /Scannow - Clean
    Ran Chkdsk/f , rebooted to run
    Backed up Registry
    Uninstalled StreamFab 5.0.3.8
    Deleted Log/Temp/Cache files for StreamFab
    StreamFab DeskTop Icon without reference still on Desktop, deleted
    Ran Analysis of Registry - 420 keys found referencing "StreamFab" *after* it was uninstalled
    Many References were to stored copies of old versions of StreamFab in a backup directory and to files/directories that I made with "StreamFab" in the name created by Windows.
    Others clearly were from previous versions of StreamFab that left stuff in Registry, several references to StreamFab were to "sound files"?
    Moved all StreamFab backup versions offline (So any reference to these will not be found when scanning registry)
    Set View to files to show hidden hidden files/directories
    Searched C:\ for "StreamFab" in name
    Renamed any directories or files I created with StreamFab in the name to SFab
    Set View to files to not show hidden files/directories
    Ran CCleaner registry cleaner - cleaned up errors
    Ran Registry Scanner (see attached) for all instances of StreamFab in the Registry - deleted
    Rebooted computer (some references in registry are interactive, wanted to show them "clean")
    Ran Registry scanner to see what remained after uninstalling of StreamFab 5.0.3.8 and complete scrubbing of Registry
    6 Keys remain (See attached)

Downloaded StreamFab 5.0.5.0 Offline Version, installed, changed settings to my normal settings

Changed settings from default on following:

General
    What do when close window - Exit the program
    What directory to use - reset output directory
    Unchecked Auto start, Adult Services, Monitor clipboard, Open folder automatically

YouTube Websites
    Video Resolution - Best
    Music Quality - Super Quality
    Subtitle Language - English
    Default Video Resolution - Best

VIP Services
    Amazon Region - US
    Hulu Region - US
    Video Codec - H265
    Pre-Select Audio Language - English (United States)
    Pre-Select Subtitle Language - None
    Unchecked Create Subfolder

Library - unchecked Import to movie library
    Sound - unchecked Play sound after download finishes

Exited SFab, Relaunched & told it not to show license offerings again

Ran Registry Scanner after installing StreamFab 5.0.5.0 with cleaned registry - only 60 keys referencing "StreamFab", saved occurences to txt file
    Rebooted Computer
    Restored backup copies of StreamFab Software to backup directory
    Ran SFC /scannow
    Ran Chkdsk/f , rebooted to run
    Ran CCleaner for registry - no errors

Downloaded Samaritan from Amazon Prime and She-Hulk episode two from Disney+ - no problems
    Gonna try a bunch of files on StreamFab later that gave me problems in last week or so (mainly check network connection error).

Mike

StreamFab 5.0.5.0 now (crossing fingers), U.S., Win 10/64, No Vpn
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike_M; 08-26-2022, 09:41 AM.

Mike,
    I really, really think you should have added some sort of advisory disclaimer, at the very least, if you are going to advocate cleaning up the registry. People can do a lot of damage if they don't know what they are doing. I really don't feel comfortable seeing this experiment being displayed publicly. I think you should have kept this one to yourself. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
      Mike,
      I really, really think you should have added some sort of advisory disclaimer, at the very least, if you are going to advocate cleaning up the registry. People can do a lot of damage if they don't know what they are doing. I really don't feel comfortable seeing this experiment being displayed publicly. I think you should have kept this one to yourself. Sorry, but that's how I feel.
      Cats4U,

You are absolutely right that I should have added an advisory.

I would not recommend anyone doing it unless they are familiar & comfortable with the processes and backing up/cleaning/restoring registry and have a few backups of system drive done very recently that they wouldn't mind restoring too in the event of any problems.

That's one reason I put Fyi in title, but that is not clear - and that it was mainly informational for most and instructive for a few.

Will try to be more careful in the future and appreciate you pointing this out.

Main gist is that a complete uninstall of current StreamFab, then an install from offline version is probably best due to all the clutter I found in registry from previous versions.

Going forward, I will see if that keeps it cleaner.

Mike
      Last edited by Mike_M; 08-26-2022, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X