Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Streamfab Netflix Dolby Vision Question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streamfab Netflix Dolby Vision Question ?

I'm just wondering, is the new Netflix Dolby Vision download HDR10 backwards compatible? It is just the metadata isn't showing this.

Eg Streamfab Netflix:
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.03, BL+RPU

A UHD:
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

We download what is available for download on the site, we don't change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post
      We download what is available for download on the site, we don't change it.
      Is HDR10 also embedded in the same stream or does Netflix send out only one or the other, depending on playback capability?

Comment

Streaming sites are different than physical media in what they need to provide the user.

Buying a UHD Blu-ray, it needs to work with the majority of hardware. That is why you have a movie where the video is Dolby Vision and HDR10 compatible.

<speculation>

For Netflix (and probably other streamers), it seems they made the decision to have 2 separate files where one is HDR10 and the other is Dolby Vision. They serve you what is compatible with your hardware. It's very easy for them to do this with DASH streams.

</speculation>

Comment

Yeah I tested one - the Dolby Vision ones play DV on my DV TV, but fall back to SDR 709 on my projector via an oppo.

It is a shame they aren't compatible. It means I need to selectively keep ones depending on what I'm going to watch on. I might just stick with HDR10, just for simplicity.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but are there any easy to use players on PC that will do tone mapping?
            HDR10 is done by VLC just fine.
            I was reading that Jelly Fin and FFMPEG 6 do it, but in poking around, I am seriously confused as to how or what do to. I can't even find what I need to download for Jellyfin.

For TV though, can I assume that an Nvidia Shield Pro with Kodi will handle what I need?

Comment

I was just about to suggest Kodi for Windows. That is exclusively what i use for all my Windows HTPCs, NVidia Shields and Chromecast w/Google TV

Any reason you use it on Android but not Windows?

Comment

I have completely dropped all these types of media players and instead i purchased a Mini PC from Zotac with Windows 11 Pro pre-installed.
                Installed K-lite Mega Codec Pack on it and have not looked back since.
                Best choice i ever have done, because it works one heck of a lot smoother than any of these media players out there.

Then the bonus is even that you can hook up an external BD drive to it and then you can also get rid of your Blu-ray player if you want to, a plan i also look in to in the future, so that i can drop that rather handicapped Sony player of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Per K View Post
                  I have completely dropped all these types of media players and instead i purchased a Mini PC from Zotac with Windows 11 Pro pre-installed.
                  Installed K-lite Mega Codec Pack on it and have not looked back since.
                  Best choice i ever have done, because it works one heck of a lot smoother than any of these media players out there.

Then the bonus is even that you can hook up an external BD drive to it and then you can also get rid of your Blu-ray player if you want to, a plan i also look in to in the future, so that i can drop that rather handicapped Sony player of mine.
                  Interesting. So what media player do you use on Windows 11? And it can play Blu-Rays and UHDs from the drive, you don't need to rip first? That'd be great. Is region codes an issue with that?

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
                    I was just about to suggest Kodi for Windows. That is exclusively what i use for all my Windows HTPCs, NVidia Shields and Chromecast w/Google TV

Any reason you use it on Android but not Windows?
                    Kodi does not do tone mapping on SDR displays, which is what I am inquiring about.
                    On Windows I consider it a bit bloated/clunky. Before downloading HDR content my choice of Windows players was always MPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobe1969 View Post

Interesting. So what media player do you use on Windows 11? And it can play Blu-Rays and UHDs from the drive, you don't need to rip first? That'd be great. Is region codes an issue with that?
                      Currently i just use MPC-HC, which comes with the K-Lite package where LAV Fillters together with LAV Splitter handles everything regarding rendering.
                      The people behind LAV Filters have also designed a special video splitter for MPC-HC.

The future plan for Blu-ray playback is to use Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 22, which should be no problems at least for me, since all my Blu-rays have the same region.​
                      Or else there always exists AnyDVD to handle shifting region codings.
                      Last edited by Per K; 05-12-2023, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKrawk View Post

Kodi does not do tone mapping on SDR displays, which is what I am inquiring about.
                        On Windows I consider it a bit bloated/clunky. Before downloading HDR content my choice of Windows players was always MPC.
                        What makes you say that? It absolutely does tone mapping on SDR displays.

I just tried it on 2 different SDR displays and 2 HDR displays and the colors are the same. Only difference is the color of the subtitles is darker on the SDR display but it may very well be a setting or something...

As for the Windows clunkyness, what do you mean? The interface and settings are exactly the same on all platforms...If you find it clunky on windows, i don't see why you wouldn't find it clunky on Android...

Comment

What makes you say that? It absolutely does tone mapping on SDR displays.

I just tried it on 2 different SDR displays and 2 HDR displays and the colors are the same. Only difference is the color of the subtitles is darker on the SDR display but it may very well be a setting or something...

As for the Windows clunkyness, what do you mean? The interface and settings are exactly the same on all platforms...If you find it clunky on windows, i don't see why you wouldn't find it clunky on Android...
                          HDR tone mapping, yes, DV, NO. The Netflix logo that should be red is kind of a pink/purple color. Obviously the rest of the video is bad too.

Comment

My Sonarr automatically downloaded Fubar and added it to Plex and Kodi before i was able to download it with StreamFab.

Just now, i noticed my cousin was watching it and i saw this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	662
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	425822

So i inspected the file in Mediainfo and got this:

Views:	554
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	425823

The one from StreamFab shows this:

Views:	554
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	425824

I did a quick Google search and i discovered a tool called ​DDVT Tool: Dolby Vision RPU Demuxing / Injecting / Editing on the Doom9 forums.

It contains a tool that will take a DoVi only file and HDR10 only file and generate a Hybrid DoVi/HDR10 file.

Views:	556
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	425825

So i just tried it and it works. It plays fine on my HDR10+ Samsung TV and on my brother's LG C9 TV.

This means that if you want to have a universal file, you can create it yourself by downloading both versions in StreamFab and using DDVT Tool.

There are a bunch of other options in DDVT that i don't know what they do besides convert between the 2 formats so i suggest you download it and play around with it.

Creating the hybrid file took less than 2 minutes btw...

Comment

My Sonarr automatically downloaded Fubar and added it to Plex and Kodi before i was able to download it with StreamFab.

Just now, i noticed my cousin was watching it and i saw this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	43.7 KB ID:	425822

So i inspected the file in Mediainfo and got this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	175.7 KB ID:	425823

The one from StreamFab shows this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	8.7 KB ID:	425824

I did a quick Google search and i discovered a tool called ​DDVT Tool: Dolby Vision RPU Demuxing / Injecting / Editing on the Doom9 forums.

It contains a tool that will take a DoVi only file and HDR10 only file and generate a Hybrid DoVi/HDR10 file.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	303.3 KB ID:	425825

So i just tried it and it works. It plays fine on my HDR10+ Samsung TV and on my brother's LG C9 TV.

This means that if you want to have a universal file, you can create it yourself by downloading both versions in StreamFab and using DDVT Tool.

There are a bunch of other options in DDVT that i don't know what they do besides convert between the 2 formats so i suggest you download it and play around with it.

Creating the hybrid file took less than 2 minutes btw...
                              That is an interesting idea using a tool to merge. I may give that a go. What was the size like?

Last edited by Mobe1969; 05-25-2023, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X