This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optical Drives UHD Drive models

Does the changelog mean, that we can RIP our UHD discs to HDD without existing checksums/hashes or what?

Yes! Should work just like a Blu-ray if you have UHD Copy or UHD Ripper.

You should see that the setting for the 'free text file' location is gone.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      Yes! Should work just like a Blu-ray if you have UHD Copy or UHD Ripper.

You should see that the setting for the 'free text file' location is gone.
      Is any special drive required? I remember seeing some posts about LG drives needing a specific SVC code sticker on them, and firmware.

Like can my older LG BH16NS40 drive be used? (that has 1.03 firmware, and NO SVC NS50 sticker on it)?

Comment

Yes, there are pretty limited drive options for optimum results. I think the NS40 will not work without the sticker. Even the ones I have seen listed have firmware restrictions and most vendors can't tell you what the fw version is. I have a BH16NS55 which was not sold in the US to my knowledge but is widely available in the EU. It is not the best for UHD but does work and is a super performer with Blu-rays.

Here is the last list I saw that did not have service code or mfg date restrictions and are either full size internal or USB 3.0:

WH16NS60
        BP60NB10
        BE16NU50 fw 1.01 known to work
        BH16NS55 fw 1.00, 1.02 known to work
        WH16NS58

Any Fab users with a UHD drive that works with DVDFab and/or Passkey, please post the drive model and firmware in this thread, I will compile them into a sticky.
        Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 01-25-2019, 09:52 PM.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have BH16NS55 FW 1.02.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp View Post
            I have BH16NS55 FW 1.02.
            Thanks, does it read/open UHD discs with DVDFab or Passkey?

Comment

Thanks, does it read/open UHD discs with DVDFab or Passkey?
              Discs, which I have at home, yes. Opened with DVDfab UHD Copy.

Comment

As a suggestion, I'm glad you're compiling a list of drives that work. You might also consider creating a section where people can download firmware versions that work so that new drive purchases can be flashed back to a previous version that is functional. I don't know if it's possible but it is something to think about.

Comment

Yes, there are pretty limited drive options for optimum results. I think the NS40 will not work without the sticker. Even the ones I have seen listed have firmware restrictions and most vendors can't tell you what the fw version is. I have a BH16NS55 which was not sold in the US to my knowledge but is widely available in the EU. It is not the best for UHD but does work and is a super performer with Blu-rays.

Here is the last list I saw that did not have service code or mfg date restrictions and are either full size internal or USB 3.0:

WH16NS60
                  BP60NB10
                  BE16NU50
                  BH16NS55 fw 1.00 known to work
                  WH16NS58

Any Fab users with a UHD drive that works with DVDFab and/or Passkey, please post the drive model and firmware in this thread, I will compile them into a sticky.
                  There is nothing mentioned on the pages for UHD Ripper, UHD Copy, nor Passkey. If the option only works with certain drives, I suggest you have something added to the pages stating such... otherwise you could have some people purchasing it that aren't able to use it and will be upset.
                  Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 01-25-2019, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I have the following drives and both give me the incompatible warning message when I use any UHD disc:

LG WH16NS60 ROM version 1.01
                    Pioneer BDR-S11JX version 1.02

The LG drive was working with a competitors UHD ripping software.

What gives???

Comment

WH16NS60
                      BP60NB10
                      BE16NU50
                      BH16NS55 fw 1.00 known to work
                      WH16NS58
                      Thanks for the list of BD drives known to work with DVDFab UHD Copy/Ripper/Creator. The only two I could find in the US were:

LG BP60NB10: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-6x-e...?skuId=6162900
                      LG BE16NU50: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic.../dp/B01IP8IBPE

The BP60ND10 is only USB 2.0, and the BE16NU50 is currently over $350 USD through third-party sellers, so I was hoping for another option.

Does anyone know whether the Pioneer BDR-XD06J-UHD will work with DVDFab UHD?

Thanks!

- Dave
                      Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 01-25-2019, 09:53 PM.

Comment

You can check on ebay for the BH16NS55 and some of the others, it is no worse than some of the 3rd party sellers on amazon. There are two of the BE16NU50 available as Amazon Warehouse deals ("Fulfilled by Amazon") for US$135. They are at least returnable an amz,

The BP60NB10 is a slimline, low speed drive and probably should not be considered except as a last resort.

Comment

LG BH16NS40 has to be manufactured after 2015 and have 1.02 firmware with a NS 50 Code.
                          Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

To clarify, DVDFab and Passkey currently support only the "UHD-friendly" drives listed in the Drives post from Wilson.Wang, to wit:

LG WH16NS40(NS50)
                            BH16NS40(NS50)
                            BE16NU50
                            BH16NS55
                            BU30N(laptop) (slow speed)
                            Clones of the above (rebadged) from Asus (eg. BW-16D1HT fw 3.0)

We are working to consolidate and update drive information which will be placed in a sticky in the UHD forum.

Tips on drive selection:
                            • Drives listed here or elsewhere as "AACS2.0 Official" are NOT currently supported by DVDFab/Passkey but may be in the future
                            • Slimline and laptop drives have less stringent mechanical tolerances and run at slower speeds; if it says the max BD read speed is 6X, avoid it
                            • Since there are many quirks of firmware and manufacture dates for "friendly" drives, buy only from sources that have a return policy or that can tell you the firmware version or manufacture dates or codes (like "NS50")
                            • Beware of "3rd Party Sellers" on Amazon and other sites that are charging outrageous prices for some drives (US$375 or more)

Comment

Thanks for the clarification signals - I purchased an LG WH16NS40 from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $50. Manufactured date September 26, 2017 with ROM Version 1.02 (Current version is 1.03, released last month - I'm not upgrading for safety) - Drive works for 4K as intended.

Comment

Working...
                              X