Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on Troubleshooting Analyzing/Ripping dvds

TIPS ON TROUBLESHOOTING ANALYZING/RIPPING DVDS

There are a few common problems associated with failed attempts to analyze or rip a dvd, some exclusive to Fab, some not.
    The following list is very brief and not intended to provide a comprehensive list or a troubleshooting guide.

1) Alter the PathPlayer settings, ie., try both Always enable PathPlayer and Disable PathPlayer.

2) Be certain you're using the latest version.

3) Clean the disc, even if it looks pristine.
    Use a microfiber cloth (lens cloth) and Isopropyl Alcohol, Windex, etc., (no plastic solvents).
    Be sure to wipe from the center spindle area of the disc outward, like spokes on a wheel.

If the disc is scratched, you can try Brasso Metal Polish...according to the label it is ok
    for plastic watch crystals.
    (Brasso and a microfiber cloth has saved me a few times. I've also heard some success stories with Pledge Furniture Polish, although I haven't tried this one personally).

4) Try another ODD (optical disc drive)...occasionally where one drive will fail, another will "read" the disc.

5) Alter the settings in Common Settings > Read.
    This is a shot in the dark, but has worked for me a few times).

Tick Ignore all reading errors automatically.
    (This may cause you to actually copy read errors, but it may render the disc "rippable" and give you a playable copy) and
    untick Enable read-ahead cache.
    The will probably cause a decrease in read speed, but again, may allow the rip to proceed.

6) Return the disc to the retailer and exchange it.

7) Additionally, slow, inefficient or failed data transfer can be the result of a drive falling back from
    DMA mode to PIO mode.
    (Direct Memory Access and Ultra DMA modes to Programmed Input-Output mode).

A dvd drive in PIO mode will perform poorly or not at all.
    The degradation in the rate of data transfer occurs as Windows encounters CRC errors (max of 6) eventually locking the drive in PIO mode.

To reset DMA in Fab, go to
    Common Settings > General
    click on the Reset DMA tab

Click image for larger version

Name:	DMA.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	316917

For particularly stubborn DMA reset issues, you can try running the VBS Script File found
    here
    Last edited by maineman; 04-11-2010, 02:52 AM. Reason: fixed attachment issue
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).
Working...
X