It has been 9 days, let me tell you about my DVDFAB Movie Server experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been 9 days, let me tell you about my DVDFAB Movie Server experience

I received my movie server last Wednesday (12 Jul). I knew, from reading the forum here that my two brand new SATA HDDs would need formatting before I could use them.

Thinking I was all that, I formatted them using a housing I had for putting HDDs into when you have more than one and want to access. It has worked well in the past with no problems. It worked this time, all could be formatted and recognized by my computer, good to go.

I unpacked my server. It is in an handsome copper and black box. The instructions are extremely vague and difficult to read. HINT: If you turn so the copper reflects the light, it helps some. (I popped HDD in before continuing).

Did the setup, it connected to the WIFI and then locked up after inputting my network info. I powered it back off and on. When it came on, it connected to the network, no problem. Continued on and then it wanted to activate. It asks if it wants me to let it activate using DVDFAB 10? Hmmm. I quickly start DVDFAB 10 and let it activate. It went smooth.

I am on top of the world now! Piece of cake. I pop a movie in, it even sees the server and I copy. When it finished, it says not enough memory in the server. Movie is saved on computer.

I turn the server off, install another drive, same thing. Cannot find the HDD. All three HDDs all three same error.

So I turn to the forum. I register for an account. I wait for my activation email. and wait, and wait.....and wait. Never came. Maybe I did the email address wrong. I try to check, but everything I click in the forum says I am not allowed because I have not activated, which I haven't done because I haven't received the link to allow me to activate. I register THREE different accounts, each using a different email. NONE get the activation email. Not in junk folder, not in inbox, no place. So I cannot access the forum to get assistance with why my server will not access my HDD.

Now I have an expensive, inoperable box sitting by my TV, mocking me.

I figure, ok, I will use an external drive. I plugged one it, success! It recognized exactly six MPG files (even though there were many more on it). I could play them. Ok, I copied ISO files to my external HDD. I connected it back to my server. . . . nothing. It would not access the iso movies. It only accesses SIX of the mpg files on the drive.

I tried posting to DVDFAB's Facebook page. It took DAYS to get a response, and nothing helpful. Thank you to those who saw my pleas and finally got me access to the forum, though.

So I have the server, I ordered another HDD, maybe these are not compatible. It came in next day, I formatted and installed. Nope, not there.

Now I have three brand new HDDs and the server cannot access them. I cannot access the forum to ask for help, I cannot get answers on Facebook, and the response I got from my Tech Support question asks me to try things I had written in my initial communication that I had ALREADY done!

With the weekend upon me, I knew resolution was nowhere in sight. Friday, I ordered a Sabrent SATA dock for my computer. It looked easier than what I was using and it was on $20.

Friday.....Saturday....Sunday...Monday....Monday I got a response from tech support:

" DVDFAB SUPPORT: 1. We have forwarded your feedback about lacking more instructions to the responsible department, thanks.

MY RESPONSE: Thank you

DVDFAB SUPPORT: 2. About forum activation issue, we have asked the responsible person to activate it for you.

MY RESPONSE: Have hard this before, hasn't happened yet.

DVDFAB SUPPORT: 3. We do not offer phone support, thanks. MY RESPONSE: I gathered that.
    DVDFAB SUPPORT: 4. Please power off DVDFab Movie Server, then start it up again and manually input the HDD to make sure it is connected tightly.

MY RESPONSE: Have swapped between three different drives, multiple times, each turning off first, so figure this has been covered, thanks."

This was Tuesday, yesterday.

Today I got this:

"DVDFAB SUPPORT: Please power off Movie Server, then insert the SATA hard drive, then power on Movie Server and then start up DVDFab. Please see now if the SATA drive will be recognized." It was not.

Must not have been clear in my answer to their #4 in the email the day before. However, this raises another question in my mind. Do we have to turn the server off to swap drives? What happens when we select OFF using the remote? Can we leave the server in that state (turning off with remote but not turning off the rocker switch on the back) for any length of time or must it be powered down with the switch when finished using?

In the meantime, my new dock arrives. I connect it to my computer, it also can with HDD storage bays I ordered, needed someplace to put my growing collection of HDD.

On a lark, I popped one into the dock and powered it up. I get the dialog it wants to format it. Ok. Go ahead. I think....hmmmm. After it finished, I put the drive into the server and fire it up, SUCCESS! My HDD now shows as SATA1!!!!

Problems over. Nope.

Now, when powering on the server, it hiccups and will not connect to network even though it is 15 feet from router, after a few moments it eventually does. Then I get to play roulette with DVDFAB 10, DVDFAB Passkey, and the DVDFAB Movie Server.

I have it hiccup on starting and it leaves the DVDFAB Movie Server lettering in various stages of rendering. It will not complete power up. I have to shut it down and restart. Then it starts. Now I put a movie in DVDFAB 10, DVDFAB Passkey starts to recognize, then the computer spits it out and DVDFAB Passkey crashes and the disc drawer is open. I put the disc in and start over, it pops it back out. I want to tape the drawer shut!

I close DVDFAB 10 and restart. I restart DVDFAB Passkey, I go through the roulette again. It does not matter which order they are started, if you put a movie in, it will pop out MANY times and DVDFAB Passkey crashes. Just about the time you think you will give up, it will then start to act right and you can shift your movie collection, one at a time to the server. Until the next time you turn the computer off, and on. Then the roulette between the server, passkey, and 10 begins again.

I have MANY movies and was hoping this was a solution to not having to search through thousands of movies to find the disc to watch a movie. Now I am not so sure. I was also considering a second one for my mother, she doesn't like playing with the discs and this may have been a perfect solution, but her abilities with computers is severely limited and this may only end up frustrating her. Will wait to see if a more stable upgrade comes out before committing to another.

Overall, right now I am not satisfied with the lack of response on the extremely limited ways to communicate, should you be unable to access this forum. Oh, that finally happened today, NINE days after my initial attempt to login. Thank you to the person/people who made that happen.

Instructions should be more clear:

1. IS IT NECESSARY TO POWER DOWN TO SWITCH HDDs? I would assume yes, but, never hurts to ask.

2. CAN THE SERVER BE LEFT "ON" IF POWERED OFF USING THE REMOTE? IF SO, HOW LONG BEFORE YOU SHOULD POWER OFF AT THE SWITCH? What goes off? Is the HDD still powered or is everything off?

3. WHAT IS IT WITH EXTERNAL DRIVES? Should all the movies show up or is it limited to the six along the bottom of the screen?

4. WHY DOES IT FREEZE DURING THE BOOT/STARTUP WHEREBY THE LOGO IS A DISCONNECTED RAINBOW OF LETTERS IN VARIOUS STATES OF RENDERING?

5. WHY COULDN'T IT ACCESS MY HDD FORMATTED IN ONE MANNER ON MY COMPUTER BUT CAN WHEN FORMATTED ANOTHER WAY (both NTFS)?

6. WHY ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS TINY AND ON NON-CONTRASTING COLORS? I understand they match the box, but readability is important.

7. IS THERE A PLAN TO MAKE INTEGRATED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO GET DVDFAB 10 WORKING WITH THE SERVER AND WHAT ORDER THINGS NEED TO BE STARTED TO STOP THE NEVER ENDING ROULETTE BETWEEN THE THREE? DVDFAB 10 instructions work for 10, but do not mention the server that I saw. DVDFAB Server instructions treat the user as if they already know everything. I have tried movie server first, passkey running at boot, and then 10. 10, (with passkey running) and then movie server. Both result in multiple ejections of disc before you can get it to work.

There is no troubleshooting section. WHAT TO DO IF:

1. What to do if the server cannot recognize your HDD?

2. How to tell if it is recognizing your HDD.

3. What to do when it locks up during start up.

4. How to correct it from locking up on start up.

5. How to get it to recognize more than six movies on external drive.

Also, how can we see how much remaining room is left on the installed SATA Drive without removing it?

Hoping removing is not the response, the point of having the server is to copy movies directly, would seem pitiful if the only way to see remaining room is to remove the drive and connect to the computer. The SATA drive does not show up in settings and Available Space options.

Comment

Wow. You had a rough go of it. My startup went smoothly except for a configuration mistake on my part. After correcting that all went well BUT I used a wired connection - not wireless.

I already had full ripped discs on my server (folder format). As a test I let DVDFab10 turn three of these into ISO files and transfer them to the server.

That went fine but it was rather slow. Now I did pick three movies for which I was pretty sure meta-data would be available - and it was.

When you formatted your various hard disks did you use one of the supported formats? I used NTFS and had no problems.

Can you try a wired connection to see if the start issues are related to a poor or slow wireless connection?

Frederick

Comment

1. IS IT NECESSARY TO POWER DOWN TO SWITCH HDDs? I would assume yes, but, never hurts to ask.
        Yes, it's better to power off to switch the HDD.

2. CAN THE SERVER BE LEFT "ON" IF POWERED OFF USING THE REMOTE? IF SO, HOW LONG BEFORE YOU SHOULD POWER OFF AT THE SWITCH? What goes off? Is the HDD still powered or is everything off?
        DVDFab Movie Server and the HDD are all off if power off DVDFab Movie Server.

3. WHAT IS IT WITH EXTERNAL DRIVES? Should all the movies show up or is it limited to the six along the bottom of the screen?
        For the external drive, the all files will be shown when open it with Files view, and the video files will be shown when open it with the poster wall.

4. WHY DOES IT FREEZE DURING THE BOOT/STARTUP WHEREBY THE LOGO IS A DISCONNECTED RAINBOW OF LETTERS IN VARIOUS STATES OF RENDERING?
        Did you have try to wait a few time?

5. WHY COULDN'T IT ACCESS MY HDD FORMATTED IN ONE MANNER ON MY COMPUTER BUT CAN WHEN FORMATTED ANOTHER WAY (both NTFS)?
        Would you please tell me that which way is used to format the HDD? did you create a volume for it? It will not be shown if initialize the HDD only. recommend to use the GPT if you are using the HDD >3TB.

6. WHY ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS TINY AND ON NON-CONTRASTING COLORS? I understand they match the box, but readability is important.
        It will be improved.

7. IS THERE A PLAN TO MAKE INTEGRATED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO GET DVDFAB 10 WORKING WITH THE SERVER AND WHAT ORDER THINGS NEED TO BE STARTED TO STOP THE NEVER ENDING ROULETTE BETWEEN THE THREE? DVDFAB 10 instructions work for 10, but do not mention the server that I saw. DVDFAB Server instructions treat the user as if they already know everything. I have tried movie server first, passkey running at boot, and then 10. 10, (with passkey running) and then movie server. Both result in multiple ejections of disc before you can get it to work.[/
        For DVDFab and Passkey, both them can open the protected disc, don't need to run them at same time. For the crash problem, please try again after the new version is released out.

And also please post the DVDFab internal log and Passkey log file if you still get the same crash problem, thanks!

1. What to do if the server cannot recognize your HDD?

2. How to tell if it is recognizing your HDD.

3. What to do when it locks up during start up.

4. How to correct it from locking up on start up.

5. How to get it to recognize more than six movies on external drive.
        More help FAQ and document will comming soon.

Thanks!

Wilson
        Please post your logs the default location is:
        For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
        For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
        If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Stitch's narrative was the closest thing I've found that mirrors my situation. I registered for forum access and received absolutely nothing and couldn't post until I'd sent two emails to support. I formatted my 8TB drive in a USB 3.0 external enclosure that I already had and it didn't work. I bought the Sabrent external enclosure hoping that it might make a difference and still nothing works. I can copy files to the 8TB drive from my computer but the MS won't recognize it. I'm about ready to return the POS - as Stitch said, it's sitting there mocking me.

DVDFab - Please give me specific instructions on how to format/initialize/prepare the HDD so that the Movie Server recognizes it. I know it's inserted properly because I hear it spinning and it gets warm after it's been running for a while.

Comment

Regards your 8TB HD. What kind of partition did you create? How is it formatted?

Frederick

Comment

Stitch - I'm feeling all of your pain! I can say 'me too' on nearly every issue. Please elaborate on #5 - which way did you finally get to work on formatting your drive? I have tried a dozen or so different ways - nothing works - including Tech Support!

Comment

I set it up as GBT when I initialized it and then formatted it as NTFS in Disk Management (Windows 10). I have no problems with it when it's connected to my laptop - I can copy files to it without any issues and it shows as 7.27 TB available when I look at My Computer. What do I need to do to get the Movie Server to recognize it? I'm getting ready to pull apart my old TiVo box to see if it's a 3.5 inch hard drive and try using it in the MS, even though it's only 500 GB. I really want this to work! Thank you in advance for any help or insight!

Comment

Originally posted by KBabione View Post
                  I set it up as GBT when I initialized it and then formatted it as NTFS in Disk Management (Windows 10). I have no problems with it when it's connected to my laptop - I can copy files to it without any issues and it shows as 7.27 TB available when I look at My Computer. What do I need to do to get the Movie Server to recognize it? I'm getting ready to pull apart my old TiVo box to see if it's a 3.5 inch hard drive and try using it in the MS, even though it's only 500 GB. I really want this to work! Thank you in advance for any help or insight!
                  Hi,

Please follow these steps to check the problem:

1. Insert the HDD to Movie Server.
                  2. Type \\192.168.1.16 (Replace the IP to your Movie Server's IP) in Windows Explorer.
                  3. Open the Share directory, check that sata is in the directory.
                  4. Open the sata directory, check that sata1, sata2 or sata3 in the directory.

Thanks!

Wilson
                  Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 07-28-2017, 03:53 PM.
                  Please post your logs the default location is:
                  For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                  For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                  Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                  If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Wilson - Thank you for responding. The HDD is in the MS (you can clearly hear it spinning) but when I go to the MS IP address\Share I only have five folders (asec, obb, sdcard, secure, shell) - nothing that says "sata". I know the HDD is connected in the MS because it's spinning and get's pretty hot (as others have mentioned) after a time. When last connected to my laptop I copied several GB of data to the drive and it's fine. I've attached a screenshot of the 8TB drive attached to my laptop - please let me know if you see anything wrong or have any ideas for me to try.

Comment

I only have 1TB HDDs so based on that, I initially tried formatting using the Administrative Tools and Disk Management. The computer could see all three drives and I even copied ISO files to one, but the server could not see any of them.

I was using an enclosure for SATA not a dock. I got the dock. I had the computer running when it came, so I plugged it in and installed one of the drives. In windows explorer, (assuming 1TB) right click the HDD drive letter designation of the drive you wish the server to use. ENSURE YOU SELECT THE RIGHT ONE or you may have bigger problems. Once you are sure, Right click and select FORMAT. It can do the quick format. When finished remove and install into the server.

When the server starts, you should be able to go and see SATA.

"2. CAN THE SERVER BE LEFT "ON" IF POWERED OFF USING THE REMOTE? IF SO, HOW LONG BEFORE YOU SHOULD POWER OFF AT THE SWITCH? What goes off? Is the HDD still powered or is everything off?"

DVDFab Movie Server and the HDD are all off if power off DVDFab Movie Server.

I am sorry, this didn't answer my question or I am not certain the question is answered.

If I power off the server using the OFF selection on screen with the remote, what is the status of the server (with button on)? Is it off? Is the HDD off? How long can it be left in this manner or do you have to turn it off at the switch each time you finish using it? This question assumes the switch is on, but I have used the remote to turn the server off through interaction with menus on the screen.

Comment

Working...
                      X