Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking External network drive / server

Hi,

I just received my A1 DVDfab Movie Server last Thursday and even after few days of efforts, I'm still not able to connect through my Ethernet G-bit network to my Windows Home Server 2011 which already had 16 T-byte of movies and series.

For now I'm able to see the 5 T-byte internal HDD of my DVDfab MS from any computer on my network and I'm able to connect to the root folder on my shared NFS drives of WHS 2011, but I'm not able to go deeper into the movies and series path folders. I have to say that this NFS configuration already works with my Dune HD media players.

I'm quite a bit frustrated, I think DVDfab documentation should provide a complete setup guide on how to map an external drive with concrete examples for NFS and SAMBA configurations. I never found anything like this in the user manual and on WEB site. A movie server user manual has to include such tutorials and not only explain the play, stop and fast forward buttons of the remote...

I also suggest that DVDfab MS HDD be seen by other computers on the network even if the Media Server is not powered (OFF) like it is for other players.

Please try SMB instead of NFS to see the result.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

I also tried with SMB with no good results, do you have any documentation on how to properly setup these?

Comment

I agree I have been most irrittated with this system. I have high hopes as I have supported dvdfab for almost a decade. But the manual and explanations of use are no where to be found. the manual they have provided sucks, example the remote diagram numbers out and say the same thing that is printed on the remote, useless, what the hell are the learn buttons? and the explanation for those? how do I access the "Network server" from another TV on the network? Responses I have received are far and few between and use terminology only those highly educated in computers would even get. We need a walk through with in-depth explanations and details for those of us that do not speak geek. WD TV Live made it easy. Why can't the genius's at DVDFab help us not so Computer inclined??

Comment

I agree I have been most irrittated with this system. I have high hopes as I have supported dvdfab for almost a decade. But the manual and explanations of use are no where to be found. the manual they have provided sucks, example the remote diagram numbers out and say the same thing that is printed on the remote, useless, what the hell are the learn buttons? and the explanation for those? how do I access the "Network server" from another TV on the network? Responses I have received are far and few between and use terminology only those highly educated in computers would even get. We need a walk through with in-depth explanations and details for those of us that do not speak geek. WD TV Live made it easy. Why can't the genius's at DVDFab help us not so Computer inclined??

Comment

Thank you impend69, for my part I'm also using DVDfab software since almost 10 years and was about to change my actuals all three Dune HD TV303D for DVDfab MS, but currently I'm no longer sure about this. I used many other media players in the past like: Patriot, Popcorn Hour, Western Digital and Dune HD TV-303D with Zappiti media center and all of them were almost seem less to deploy. When I'm talking about a setup guide where everything is clearly explained on how to map the drives and usages, I mean something like the attached document.

Concerning the lack of documentation, I don't think it's because DVDfab genius doesn't want to explain all these clearly, I think it is more about the fact that they do not have much experience in network communication management that's all. Why my NFS configuration is not working with the DVDfab Movie Server while it is perfectly working with my Dune HD players? Why the DVDfab architect is telling me to switch to SMB since DVDfab MS offers the NFS support? SMB is efficient in a pure Windows environnement, but in a mixed environnement NFS is better than SMB (like it is with the DVDfab Movie Server based on Android, a Linux wrapper for mobile/media devices).

I would like "fengtao" to comment on this.

Comment

I haven't the slightest idea what SMB even is.

Comment

Hi gaeliz,

We tested NFS in our environment, and it works.

We sure need more test on NFS, but it's ok to try SMB at first to see the result.

Best Regards,
                Fengtao
                DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Hi fengtao,

I finally was able to do it, I have few folders on my WHS shared via SMB with DVDfab MS. Impend69, you can take a look at the link below to have an idea on what is SMB sharing.

Now I want to know if the poster wall is supposed to be saved in the Server directory or on the DVDfab MS, so if I have more than one DVDfab MS I do not have to duplicate all the poster wall information.

Second, How can I setup DVDfab MS to scrape the IMDB info in French instead of English?

i also have few other questions, but it will be enough for now.

Thanks.
                  Last edited by gaeliz; 08-20-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X