Cannot access DVDFAB folder from Windows Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General/Other Cannot access DVDFAB folder from Windows Explorer

For some time now I have not been able to access the DVDFAB folder holding the movies on my Movie Server from Windows Explorer (Windows 10). The media show functionality works, and I can watch movies from the server, so I don't think there is permanent damage to the disk. Whenever I open explorer to the DVDFAB folder it starts scanning through counting files and it literally counts up into the millions before I give up. There are about 450 movies on the server, and with say 20 files per movie I would expect no more than 10,000 files. I want access so that I can backup the movies, and even tweak the meta files as necessary. I have run the SCAN function from the server, but it ends in ten seconds on a 6TB disk - so I know it has not done anything. Perhaps there is a new and improved SCAN coming???

Also tried attaching the drive via a USB box, but Windows says it is unformatted (does not support EXT4 - so I bought Paragon's EXTFS software, and that does not recognize it either. They say that the disk must have 'LVM Technology' so I will never be able to see it.

Very open to suggestions,

Tom

Try to use scan funtion in the setting->general->system maintenance ->disk manager.It will check your filesystem and fix it.
    If it's not work, try to enter local video , check whether the file is normal. and try to copy them to another usb device or sata devide.

If none of the above is helpful,you may need a linux system computer.
    Last edited by Juice; 11-09-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I have used the SCAN function several times, but in my humble opinion it does not work - no one is going to tell me it can scan and fix a 6TB drive in 5 seconds.

I don't understand what you mean by 'try to enter local video'? From Windows I cannot access the folder, so how do I enter a video?

I do not have access to a Linux computer, so would appreciate help from either the Windows or Movie Server paths.

Comment

Originally posted by twplunkett View Post
        I have used the SCAN function several times, but in my humble opinion it does not work - no one is going to tell me it can scan and fix a 6TB drive in 5 seconds.

I don't understand what you mean by 'try to enter local video'? From Windows I cannot access the folder, so how do I enter a video?

I do not have access to a Linux computer, so would appreciate help from either the Windows or Movie Server paths.
        i mean enter the local video in the MS home page.

Last edited by Juice; 11-10-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

OK, so I attached an external USB drive to see if I could copy some things onto it. I followed your instructions, selected a folder, and clicked on COPY - which said it was successful, but I have no idea where it went. Is it just me, or should there not be a second screen asking where to paste the copy to?

Comment

Originally posted by twplunkett View Post
            OK, so I attached an external USB drive to see if I could copy some things onto it. I followed your instructions, selected a folder, and clicked on COPY - which said it was successful, but I have no idea where it went. Is it just me, or should there not be a second screen asking where to paste the copy to?
            first,enter the local disk called sata 1

then,choose a file or folder press menu,then copy . it will say copy successfully

then,go to another usb disk or network share,and press menu,then press paste .it will show a progress bar.

Comment

Thank you for the detailed instructions, I can now copy files from the Movie Server to a USB connected drive. I then reset to factory specifications, hoping that perhaps I could gain access from Windows again. The poster wall was 'corrupted', it seems that many of the movies were matched to the wrong poster - and many, many more had no poster. I am assuming that the server just needs to go through the files again and it will be corrected.

BUT, I did go to my windows machine, and still cannot access the drive. It is definitely in some kind of a loop - if you go to the bottom of the view it seems to show a couple of screens and then loop through the same series of screens... as I have suggested before, I think there is a broken chain somewhere - and your SCAN function has no effect.

Comment

As I posted previously, it appeared that the poster wall was corrupted. Now on the Movie Server it says that there are 574 movies, and on access from the mediashow says there are 115 - all with proper posters, it appears that the ones without are no longer shown in the mediashow - without which I no longer have any way to match them properly. I think my only chance is to reformat the drive and reload all the movies - hopefully Windows will regain access...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDFAB MEDIA SERVER.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	344581Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDFAB MEDIASHOW.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	344582

Comment

It appears that 'movies' that were not automatically matched went into 'videos' on the desktop. I had to manually match some 400 movies to the proper posters, a very slow process...

On the positive side, I can now see and update the drive again from Windows - formatting corrected the problem, which I am sure could have been fixed by SCAN if it was more functional.

Last question, I have some movies that the server thinks are in a different folder than DVDFAB (ie DVDFAB\MOVIES or DVDFAB\VIDEOS). How can I correct the references to them?

Comment

Working...
                  X