Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good bye cloud..let's all use local? but in fact dms manager is in the cloud ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good bye cloud..let's all use local? but in fact dms manager is in the cloud ?

I still don't understand what data is exactly used where and why that is now so... (ie for ex local:32080 editing no longuer working)

Can U please transparently describe, when using DMS, what data is exactly stored where and for which purpose ??

Let's assume I keep my DMS logged into my account (no log-out after activation/scrapping)
    :
    - What information/data exactly is transmitted / stored when I first activate my DMS ?
    - Is there usage data you collect when movies are watched or other activites are performed with DMS?
    - Where are the scrapping results stored ? If the results are in a local DB why do I need to login into my cloud account to be able to edit it ?? the local :32080 was all I needed.
    - can the wall populate ONLY wit local stored NFO's

So why do I need to login to dvdfab cloud in order to edit my poster wall ...?

- Can I delete/erase permanently and completely the metadata of my library de facto now stored in your cloud ?

Thanks

PS : In short : this hardware could be a very promising standalone network media PLAYER...i don't need another media SERVER with cloud based "functionalities"...
    Last edited by eddysback; 01-15-2018, 01:02 AM.

Originally posted by eddysback View Post
    I still don't understand what data is exactly used where and why that is now so... (ie for ex local:32080 editing no longuer working)

Can U please transparently describe, when using DMS, what data is exactly stored where and for which purpose ??
    * The data like folder path, file name, file size, media info, etc. will be uploaded and stored on DVDFab server.
    * File content will not be uploaded.
    * The data is used to get the movie/tv info for the source file.
    * With library data on server, matching failure problem can be fixed automatically with updated engine, also we can deploy new features like Smart Playlist easily.
    * We at DVDFab respect our customer's privacy very seriously. We did it for last 15 years, and will continue to do so in the future.

Let's assume I keep my DMS logged into my account (no log-out after activation/scrapping)
    :
    - What information/data exactly is transmitted / stored when I first activate my DMS ?
    * At the time of activation, DMS will only transfer data on internal hard disk. User can add more NAS path from dms.dvdfab.cn later.

- Is there usage data you collect when movies are watched or other activites are performed with DMS?
    * Yes, DMS will collect watched info, so we can show 'Recently Watched' list, and we will provide an option to disable it. There is no other activities collected.

- Where are the scrapping results stored ? If the results are in a local DB why do I need to login into my cloud account to be able to edit it ?? the local :32080 was all I needed.
    * The scrapping results are stored on both local DMS server and DVDFab server.
    * The problem is: it is not efficient to develop the web interface on DMS, the web function on local :32080 is very limited, so we decide to move to DVDFab server and provide more editing features, and we can add more features in the future efficiently.

- can the wall populate ONLY wit local stored NFO's
    * We can use the NFO, but we need consider how to do it ONLY

So why do I need to login to dvdfab cloud in order to edit my poster wall ...?

- Can I delete/erase permanently and completely the metadata of my library de facto now stored in your cloud ?
    * Yes, we will provide function to erase all library data from DVDFab server on dms.dvdfab.cn.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

fengtao : The time you took to answer is very appreciated. THANK YOU

I don't know what to think right now and will wait to see where this is going.

If I understand correctly DVDFab "aquired" VIDON and as such your decision to block local editing ability will impact any VIDON distribution. It has already impacted egreat which in the last firmware also closed-out the local editor.

I still remain doubtfull if I'll every feel enough comfortable and transfer my whole media collection on to DMS.

You have a very "promising" product here which has excellent hardware, very good picture and audio quality, it even surpasses players like Oppo 203 in some aspects.... AND remain "free" of required cinavia detection implementation (as no physical drive) and most importantly with full menu support and iso support. The more it goes ...the more rare such players will become.

In my humble opinion : Do not over centralize features and functions as it will make certain clients go away. Whilst cloud based mechanisms are good and needed for decryption purposes I really don't see why you force everybody down this route.

Why don't you not consider to offer both solutions ??

- Pursue your library management cloud strategy
      - BUT just leave the local web editor (:32080) accessible. It's existing, it works not to bad and allows for basic editing... and if somebody wants more editing and more functionality, bells and whistles he simply has to use the cloud based DMS.

Please continue to allow your customers to edit fully local !

Comment

OK so I tried and took a look at 1.0.1.2 and it's just not for me. I have 100's of concerts and some movies and a lot of tv series which are in my NAS. The poster wall cloud manager makes no sense for me. I was extremely happy with the remote web editor (https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...ta-for-mserver) as it allowed to represent the categories llike I wanted and i could bundle movies like I wanted, I could use pictures as I wanted and I could build my own categories. Also having lots of concerts quite a lot are not in the usual databases.

But as said if this is the way forward to edit movies and only scrapping can be done (as you certainly assume everybody is filling up the DMS through DVDfab which provides the right metdata) my DMS will be stashed away as this new process is a real show stopper for me. (BTW I still don't see what exactly is so more "local" in 1.0.1.2 as opposed to 1.0.1.1 (cloud) and still cannot understand why I have to edit something in the cloud which comes from my DMS only to be rewritten to my DMS...but you're certainly having your good reasons.

I was happy with my wall in 1.0.1.0. I would only have loved to be able to IP control the 1.0.1.0 version (that BTW works great on 1.0.1.2)...it would have allowed for some more showcasing at home...but I guess that's no longer necessary.
        Last edited by eddysback; 01-17-2018, 12:42 AM.

Comment

After reading all this I'm terrified of installing 1.0.1.2. Eddysback, will I lose all my manually entered metadata? I find the above discussion confusing. It's bad enough that the program keeps changing the names of simulary titles movies to the most recent listing. I just want my changes to metadata, both info and artwork to stick, does it?

Comment

see https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...s-released-out which was posted and MOST IMPORTANTLY the text in red published 3 days later....

Don't be confused by above discussion my issue is that it moves to the could. The fact that it's not stable and produces errors is another issue ....I don't care.... I will not use it going forward.

Let me explain :

I have used the "pure" local firmware which was 1.0.1.0...I could scrape infos when required and when the result was not good for me I logged into my local Media server and edited like I wanted with my info and my artwork. Did that for some 20 disks and was in the process of doing t for all my library (several TB)

At that time the devs released 1.0.1.1 which was called a cloud version. This version closes down your ability to edit the library directly on your Media server. All your editing is done in your cloud account at dvdfab. all your info goes sucked up to the cloud (see post above from fengtao)

Already then some clients complained this forced move to dvddfab's cloud and the development team promised to make a local version again.

In January they released 1.0.1.2 which was a surprise...it's called local....but in fact...it's still a cloud version (reason why I posted this thread) and I understand now that's the decided way forward...Take it or leave it.
            Fact is going forward DVDfab MediaServer works only with a cloud account DVDFab. Posterwall editing is done in the cloud ....I refuse that and have already stopped to use my media server......

So to your question will both info and hardwork stick ??? I really don't know. I have never completely filled up my library and I even emptied the few I had in there before trying 1.0.1.2.

Clearly this cloud thingy is not finished and is still work in progress...so I even less understand why it has to happen so fast by forcing people into it.

Whilst I appreciated to receive feedback from fengtao directly I am tired of the way the be it dvdfab's or egreat's or other android based player companies operate. They sell you a good hardware (which BTW is more or less the same for all) with half backed firmwares (mostly work in progress). So for me the adventure with "this kind of players/servers" stops here.

Sorry to not be of better guidance..

Comment

Thanks for the response. I too would like this product to work as kind of a stand alone once movies and data has been entered rather than have it constantly re-edited in the cloud. Very disappointing for I product I like quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X