Multi Disc Movies/Collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi Disc Movies/Collections

Running version 1012. What is the best way to name and organize multi disc movies and collections?

Example - Dances With Wolves consists of multiple DVDs. FileBot convention is Name (year) CD#. All DVDs for an individual movie are stored in a nested folder of Name. MS and Manager show each DVDs as individual posters. Ideally, the group of multi discs should have 1 poster which would then open to display all individual DVD's to select the correct DVD. In earlier version of MS, we could use a "collection" to group the DVD's into one poster. The online Manager doesn't have a collection field fro grouping and editing.

In the same context, there are multiple movies in a collection, such as StarWars, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, etc. Each of those is shown as an independent poster. Ideally they should be able to be grouped into a single entry such as Poster Name = StarWars and the poster opens to display all movies in the collection and each movie will open to the iso or another level if multi disc movie. That also was possible with the collection grouping in the past, but no longer.

Any suggestion or is this a future improvement?

Duane

DMS scraper will according to the plex ,emby and kodi file name naming rules.
    These features will be added later.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Movies that are split into several parts (e.g. CD-1, CD-2), can be played back as a single item if named correctly. The split parts must be nested inside their own folder, named as usual for the movie. Name the files as follows:
    • /Movies/MovieName (release year)/MovieName (release year) - Split_Name.ext

Where Split_Name is:
    • cdX
    • discX
    • diskX
    • dvdX
    • partX
    • ptX

X is the part number (cd1, cd2, etc.), and ext is the file extension.
    /Movies /The Dark Knight (2008) /The Dark Knight (2008) - pt1.mp4
    /Movies /The Dark Knight (2008) /The Dark Knight (2008) - pt2.mp4

Comment

Thank you Juice. I waited to reply until I upgraded to update1012(20180131). Rescanned the library and same problem persists.

Movies are named as you suggest, for example 2 DVD set:
      ...\DVDFab\Movies\Gods and Generals (2003)\Gods and Generals (2003) CD1.iso
      ...\DVDFab\Movies\Gods and Generals (2003)\Gods and Generals (2003) CD2.iso

MS and Manager shows duplicate posters for each file, although each is linked to a separate file. It seems to me (though I may be mistaken) that only one poster should be shown for the movie and then it would open to display both DVD's. I have many multi DVD movies, some as many as 3-4 (such as Gone With The Wind). This really clutters the poster wall and makes it difficult to know which poster is 1 and which is 2.

I may rebuild the library with the new version and see if that is any different than rescanning. Please let me know if this is the expected current result.

Comment

Originally posted by DuaneS View Post
        Thank you Juice. I waited to reply until I upgraded to update1012(20180131). Rescanned the library and same problem persists.

Movies are named as you suggest, for example 2 DVD set:
        ...\DVDFab\Movies\Gods and Generals (2003)\Gods and Generals (2003) CD1.iso
        ...\DVDFab\Movies\Gods and Generals (2003)\Gods and Generals (2003) CD2.iso

MS and Manager shows duplicate posters for each file, although each is linked to a separate file. It seems to me (though I may be mistaken) that only one poster should be shown for the movie and then it would open to display both DVD's. I have many multi DVD movies, some as many as 3-4 (such as Gone With The Wind). This really clutters the poster wall and makes it difficult to know which poster is 1 and which is 2.

I may rebuild the library with the new version and see if that is any different than rescanning. Please let me know if this is the expected current result.
        disc1 disc2, and other discs will be identified as same movies currently .
        However, as a disc collector,also a PLEX and Emby User, I designed this feature when I started designing the whole DMS system, but our developers did not have enough time to finish it.The scheduling of this feature is around March and will be released concurrently with the general playlist feature.

Comment

Hi Juice. Thanks for responding, but that is not good news. There are many multi DVD movies and the posters are identical, but 1 for each DVD. There is no way to know which one to select from the movie screen. (I can go to the HDD view and use the filename, but that defeats the point of a simple menu). In earlier versions, we could use the "collection" feature to have all the DVD's under one poster. That would open to a series of posters with names from the filename ie 1 or 2 and you could play them from that part of a tree structure. It wasn't perfect, but important. The "collection" feature was also important to group movies. Two or three versions of the same movie, such as "Man in the Iron Mask" or "The Count of Monte Cristo" or "Doctor Zhivago" could be grouped together under one poster tree. Another use would be movie series, such as "Star Wars", "Indiana Jones", or "Pirates of the Caribbean". A single poster for the movies, sequels, prequels, etc. grouped together as a collection. If that still exists in the Manager, I can't find it.

Duane

Comment

Working...
          X