I don't know how to connect to my PC from my DMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking I don't know how to connect to my PC from my DMS

I am having a problem connecting to my shared folder on my PC from my movie server. The instructions to do this is confusing and all I seem to get is an error message. I have laid out what I do in the following attachemnts

I am running v1.1.1, and have shared a folder on my PC, "My DVD ISO Files and called it ISO (the network path is "\\Dave_Home\iso" and I have assigned "full control" permissions to EVERYONE and DF (me). Now from the DMS Main Menu... I navigate to "Add Network". When prompted I choose Windows Network (SMB), type in the correct IP address of my PC (999.999.999.999 is for display purposes only)
    Photo6: I type in DF for the User (no password)... I have also tried to leave blank with no success also.
    Photo7: No mater what I do I always get the same error message "Failed to mount the directory"

Do you know what I am doing wrong? My PC has a bunch of homemade movies that I want to connect to and play on my DMS over a "wired" network connection
    Thanks in advance... ~Dave..

Attached Files

I'm assuming your MS and PC are on the same network (you should be at least able to ping the MS from your PC). If so, then follow the instructions in the first sticky post and see if that doesn't fix your issue.

Comment

hi forstatd
      I had the same problem and another member gave me this advice which worked

I was able to figure out why it wasn't working I had the "failed to mount the directory" error, my Samba share is now up and running with 1075 movies.
      I am an MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) (I don't work for MS so please don't attack me as if I do) and this one took a lot of time to figure out but it is a simple fix once you realize Microsoft messed this up by removing SMB from the OS in Windows Versions 1709 and above.

Problem….DVDFab Movie Server cannot connect to Windows 10 Shared Folder to access Movies
      Prerequisite: This applies to Windows 10 Version 1709 or higher
      To Check you Windows 10 Version, go to Control Panel then System look for About button.

If you know your passwords and names you can skip down to the section in BOLD to simply add SMBv1 to your Windows 10 operating system.
      1. What you will need….
      1. The Password you use logon to Windows 10 (You account password) If you don’t have one you will need to create a password. (I recommend NOT using MSN to logon just create a local password)
      2. The User Account name in Windows 10 (Click START then Click the three bars at top look down for account name)
      3. Create a Folder (If you don’t already have one)
      4. IP Address of your Windows 10 machine (Don’t confuse this with the IP address of the DVDFab Movie Server.
      5. A Folder you want to Share to your DVDFab Movie Server
      Getting Started….
      1. Right Click on the Folder you want to share to DVDFab Movie Server
      2. Click Properties
      3. Click Share (Make sure your account name is listed if not add it)
      4. Click Advanced then Permissions
      5. Again, make sure your Account name is in the list.
      6. I check all the checkboxes but you can check only CHANGE and READ if you want more security.
      Setting up DVDFab Movie Server to connect to Windows 10 machines SHARED FOLDER
      Let’s say you have a Shared Folder name “MM” that stands for My Movies
      The Screen Shot below is from the Tips and Tricks posted by DVDFab
      [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Craig/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
      First check Windows Network (SMB)
      IP Address (IP Address of your Windows 10 PC)
      Shared Folder…. simply put “MM” in this field (My example is “MM”)
      User Name: Windows 10 User account name here
      Password: Windows 10 password you use to login to Windows 10

Problem: Issue with Windows 10 1709 or higher you still cannot connect to the Shared Folder.
      SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, version 1709
      Resolution: Click on Start Button…. Type Turn “Windows Features On or Off”
      At the top of the list click on the one that says Control Panel underneath should be on the top.
      Now locate the 2 features shown in the screenshot below
      1. Simple Network Management Protocol (SMTP) and check the box
      2. SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and check the box
      3. Click OK… close any open files before you restart

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Craig/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.png[/IMG]
      You should now be able to connect!

Comment

the full conversation can be seen currently on page 11 of this forum. it is titled networking samba failing to mount directory. I don't know how to add a link so I cut and pasted the information above

Comment

Working...
        X