Are you FRICKING KIDDING ME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you FRICKING KIDDING ME!

I attempted to connect my HDD to a dock to my computer. Cannot access. Now I return it to my server. Cannot access, want to reformat?

Weeks of work, gone. 60+ movies. Gone.

Tried using the \\web address\share\sata\sata1\DVDFab (yes computer and server are on the same network).
    and //web address/share/sata/sata1/DVDFab (which changes to a web browser and still cannot access).

I am guessing the update that took away using our local IP address removed this feature, as well.

Cannot access. Disabled my firewall. Cannot access.

I am fed up with this electronic brick and watching me waste hours and days of my time attempting to get my library where I can watch it without going to the basement to retrieve a disc. I think I should just go to the basement. Good exercise, anyhow.

UPDATE: After repeated rebooting of the server and restarting of DVDFab 10, I was finally able to access the server. Since I had just reformatted the drive, the DVDFab directory was not there, but I found lost+found. So I made the directory manually and then I mapped it to a network drive so it is available. I have movies I have on another HDD that I am copying over to see if this works. At least I won't lose all my work this way.
    Last edited by stitch0852; 04-29-2018, 12:42 AM.

This can happen if you don't EJECT the drive from both the PC and the Media Server.
    On a PC, right-click on the icon of the HDD and select Eject.
    On the Media Server v1.0.1.0, goto Settings/System Maintenance/Disk Manager. Select Unmount.
    On the Media Server higher than v1.0.1.0, I've forgotten the ezact steps, but I think you go to Local Videos. Highlight the drive and press Menu on the remote. I think that gives you the Unload.

Simply disconnecting a drive from the Media Server orPC without Unloading or Ejecting it can result in a corrupted disk.

Comment

Yes Ryder that is what they say. I've been handling computers since the old XT where 10 M bytes was supposed all be all you needed. See where we are now. Since USB and Firewire has come out I've NEVER ejected any USB device and have never lost any data that way. The way data is lost is when you pull the device out before it finishes working on the task you set it to do.
      Viking lost down under

Comment

Hi, ejm! I took my basic programming course as part of a mechanical engineering degree on an 8088! Complete with a 5 1/4 floppy drive! I wish I had all the money that I spent on computers since that point, computers evolved from that point at an almost geometric rate in compliance with 'Moore's Law'. It seemed as though I was always upgrading and ram(30 pin, 72 pin and on and on) was $40 dollars a meg. SCSI based systems were another expensive chapter in my evolution to where I am at now.

You are right...if you remove an external device while in a 'write' cycle it will corrupt the file system and will be marked as 'dirty', usually forcing a scan disk and repair. I have had good luck recovering data for friends in those type of scenarios using Linux.

Comment

Yes Dead Eye, I to wish I had saved some of all that money that i used for upgrading. I built all my own PC's from scratch, the only one I by passed was the 286.
          The problem with the media player is that there is no real way of knowing if it is working as there is no led showing activity on HDD.
          Viking lost down under

Comment

Use this Tray Indicator , its a free Utility
            TrayStatus shows you the status of keyboard keys like Caps Lock, Num Lock, Scroll Lock, Alt, Ctrl, and more, right in your system tray.
            Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

ejm, I purchased all my computers up to and including a 486 because the parts industry was sparse. I have always have built mine since then though. Next one I build will be a small form factor PC. I pre-wired this house with Ethernet(CAT 6), cable(RG6 quad shield) and CAT III(phone) during construction so I am looking to get some kind of networked storage array with RAID 5 + 0. I landed all those across 13 face plates throughout the house and down to a low voltage wire closet in the basement. The cable goes to a 16 port breakout box that supports two way video for a security system.

Comment

RAID 50??? Sounds like overkill. It would be more cost effective to do RAID 6 + a hot spare or two if you need that much redundancy. I like the Synology units that support SHR. It's their version of RAID5/6, but allows the use of different size drives and will automatically increase the disk group capacity as larger drives replace the smaller ones. They are simple to use, quiet and use very little power relative to a PC. Many of them also support expansion units to increase capacity using less expensive, smaller capacity drives.

Comment

At 65, I think it's time to stop building PC's.
                  Viking lost down under

Comment

Originally posted by ejm View Post
                    At 65, I think it's time to stop building PC's.
                    I am 97 and just learned.
                    Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

You are kidding me! Looking at your computer configuration, you must be flying with the angels. I'm envious. Mine are both I7's but the fastest I could get at the time in gen 1 & 2. I have been contemplating making another with gen 8 but that is for another day.
                      Viking lost down under

Comment

ejm, the name is Rider, not Ryder.
                        I've been a Computer Systems Analyst for over 30 years, retired. I didn't just build computers, I designed them. I also designed the networks they run over; satellite, fiber, microwave, Ethernet, WiFi....
                        You can get lucky most of the time by removing a memory stick or drive from a PC and not have a problem. But guess what? The problem here isn't a PC. It's the Android system. It uses a completely different disk drive management system which is far less tolerant to being removed without an eject first. I've removed my drive from the Movie Server multiple times, but have always Unloaded it first. I've never had a failure. Don't believe me? Not my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider View Post
                          This can happen if you don't EJECT the drive from both the PC and the Media Server.
                          On a PC, right-click on the icon of the HDD and select Eject.
                          On the Media Server v1.0.1.0, goto Settings/System Maintenance/Disk Manager. Select Unmount.
                          On the Media Server higher than v1.0.1.0, I've forgotten the ezact steps, but I think you go to Local Videos. Highlight the drive and press Menu on the remote. I think that gives you the Unload.

Simply disconnecting a drive from the Media Server orPC without Unloading or Ejecting it can result in a corrupted disk.
                          Thanks for that, but I am aware of how to properly remove a drive and I have performed that correctly on the PC and I shut the MovieServer off before removing the drive (using the remote and selecting SHUT DOWN, then waiting for it to fully power off. Non-issue on that point. But keep those suggestions coming!

Comment

Rider, I must be the lucky one. I've pulled mine 4 - 5 times. Only once did I have a problem. DMS would not stop working and it refused to shut down, so I yanked it out and was then able switch it of. Tested drive afterwards, it had no errors. I found out later that I was missing a few TV series/movies. BUT I DO BELIEVE YOU.
                            I apologize for typo.
                            Last edited by ejm; 05-18-2018, 05:10 AM.
                            Viking lost down under

Comment

Working...
                            X