Editing meta data on DMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing meta data on DMS

I just got my DMS a week ago and I'm going through the learning pains. I am mapping the movies on my QNAP NAS and about 80% map ok and the other 20% get put in the video folder. I can't figure out how to edit the meta data on the server or how to transfer the movie from video to movies manually. I tried updating the metadata from the web interface but when I click on the video folder I get a spinning wheel that never ends. I can still get to the data and change it on the web interface but it doesn't get reflected on the DMS. I am running on version 2.1.1 SDK version 1.0.3.1. Any help anyone could provide would be much appreciated and I apologize if I'm asking dumb questions.

Go to version 1035, much better for scrapping.
    Viking lost down under

Comment

Agreed. Update to 1035. Seems more stable.

To edit movies in 1031 or both movies and tv shows under 1035, got to "Videos" section, then open DMS videos. You should see all the files that did not scrape listed there with blank posters. Select one and hit the menu key on the remote. You should get an EDIT menu option. Select this. The system will then bring up a screen where you can tell it if it is a movie or tv show, a search name to use, and the year. Doing that search will bring up all matching posters the system can find. Then move down and select the correct poster. That should fix it.

Sometimes I have to be creative in coming up with the correct search name to find the right poster

I have never been able to edit anything using the WEB interface. Always just get spinning circles...

Comment

Totally agree guys, that scrapping is much better using 1.0.3.5, editing it locally through the DMS is the way to go and good insight on how to do it tbrown25 . Editing this way through the DMS is new and very promising because it works. As far as people having problems trying to match up and mirroring what they have on their DMS and the Web server interface is another unexpected mountain that is unprecedented but resides much more after this new release, it's a new problem. It’'s a beta, so they got one to work well; it’'s still more work to be done to get the server to marry into the system to work as a unit with the DMS it appears.

To be totally fair I am having better performance scrapping with 1.0.3.5 locally then with the web interface and …would suggest to try that route and see if you have better results, it is much better having two options to edit now than one for sure.

Like tbrown25 noted if you are not finding the correct match to your wall poster/metadata get creative, check out how it’s being named on themovieDB.com for movies and thetvdb.com for TV series online to how they have it listed and change it to what and how they have it listed on there. Does not work all the time but has worked plenty for me…….
        Last edited by Down2Earth; 08-15-2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help and advice especially showing me how to get to the edit screen on the DMS. I updated to 1.0.3.5 but that didn't help my scrapping issues. There is no metadata available for the titles I'm trying to put in the movie section with cover art. They are mostly music videos from small producers like AIX records and instructional videos that don't have metadata available. I am hoping I can find a way to get the cover art added and have the discs moved to movies so they are together with all the other music discs and easy to find and play. The web interface has the capability to load the cover art and create some basic metadata but it's not working now (it was working for a day or two about a week ago).

I had to revert back to 1.0.3.1 because 1.0.3.5 could not play my blue ray discs (buffering, bad audio and freezing up). Since no one else seems to be having this issue I assume it's related to streaming from a NAS. Blue Rays from the NAS work fine on 1.0.3.1.

Any ideas on a way to load cover art and is it possible to move an unmatched disc to movies folder?

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Well, this is a bit of a roundabout way to do things, but it might work...

If the videos you have are not listed in TheMovieDB, you could create a contributor account on that site and submit the data for them to TMDB. Once in that system, you should be able to find them using the editing functions in the movie server. I have not tried this myself as all files I have are already in TMDB.

In the old days (1010 and earlier software) you could edit the info by logging into the movie server from your PC directly, rather than having to use a cloud server in China like today. That worked somewhat better and there was a facility to add your own posters and metadata through that interface (though I don't recall if it actually worked or not). I hope, if this kind of editing can't be done directly in the MS, that they bring back that interface for it. I really don't like the cloud server in China concept.

As far a blu ray stuttering from a NAS, I have seen a couple of similar posts from folks. I personally have not seen this, but it may be related to connection speed. I have gigabit speed from my NAS to the MS and have not seen any stuttering.

By moving to the movie folder do you mean physically moving the file to the directory on the hard drive called "Movies" or moving the blank icon over to the poster wall?

Comment

I didn't know we could add data to TheMovieDB. That's a great idea and i'm going to give it a try.

It would be great if we could log on to the server from a pc. To bad that's no longer available. The web interface worked for the first day or two I got my DMS but now only get the spinning wheel of death.

I have a gigabit router and all my content plays fine on 1.0.3.1 so I think there is a software issue in the update.

I am just trying to get the poster over to the movie wall so it's easy to find and play the content. If I'm able to get a match by adding info to TheMovieDB data base that will eliminate this issue.

Thanks again for your help and insights

Comment

Working...
              X