NAS and Audio Buffering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMS v2.0.1.3 Beta NAS and Audio Buffering

Hi, I haven't reinstalled my DMS because of the buffering issue. Does anyone know if that was addressed in this beta version? Thanks, Jim
    Peace, Jim

TV: Sony XBR-70X850B; Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060; Speakers: KEF 7.2 Surround; NAS Server: Synology DS2411+; Home Theater: NUC8i7 Windows 10; DMS: Updated to v2.0.2.1 Beta; Zappiti:One 4K HDR; Connection: Direct Gigabit Ethernet

Hello Jim,
    I have not read anything or heard this problem with 2.0.1.3. Beta should be fixed. Since I did not want to wait any longer and it is a shame to have my DMS unused in the closet, I solved the problem for me so that I have installed a 10TB hard drive in the DMS and play only 4K / UHD movies on it , nothing else. On external hard drives BD`s and DVD`s. 4K / UHD movies from the HDD in the DMS work perfectly, even in all soundtracks without buffering. Maybe that's an incentive for you.

Here is an excerpt from the download of 2.0.1.3. Beta:

New: Added the support to delete the episodes from TV Show in DMS WebApp.
    New: Added the support to delete the season from TV Show in DMS WebApp.
    New: Added the support to add custom poster and background when edit for TV Show.
    New: Improved the support for connecting the external hard disk.
    New: Added the support to add the custom collection for movies, TV show and videos.
    Fix: A problem that the length of the movie is displayed incorrectly.
    Fix: Improved the support for scraping movie/TV Show.

Comment

No Jim its still the same as before, tbh im getting fed up with this buffering/stuttering with 4k over NAS getting mentioned again and again and never getting looked at.

Its over 18 months this issue with 4K video and audio buffering over NAS has been happening.

Im getting the feeling this issue cant be fixed and we are not being told about it.

Much longer and mine is getting factory reset and sold on, pity really as it does pretty much everything else I want it to do, but the main reason I purchased it was for 4k streaming from NAS.

It seems sorting posters and collections out is more important than the actual playability of the unit, I know what I would rather have

Comment

lamster,

Have you tried to just have the 4k and UHD running from a hard drive in the DMS?

Buffering "Over NAS" suggests that your network isn't fast enough, are you using a hard line for your network? Or are you using WiFi b,g,n,ac?
        Is your NAS hardlined into your router, or is it connected as WiFi only?

The bottleneck suggests it is in your network and not the DMS.

There is no way that I can test this because all my video equipment is ancient, bluray 1080p is the largest that I can stream on my WiFi ac and my NAS units are both hardlined into my router. My DMS is connected through WiFi and I have not had any issues with the video or audio streaming.

Comment

Has the DMS storage max been upgraded? When I bought mine 2 or 3 years ago the max HDD size supported was 8TB even though 10TB drives were on the market. Can I now insert a 14 or 16TB drive if I want?

Comment

I've now got over 200 4K movies stored on my QNAP NAS and I rarely have buffering issues. I have seen it on one or two occasions and it could be related to the NAS itself. I'm also running a Plex server on it and the latest versions of Plex are eating my machine. They have a memory leak that eventually uses up to 80% of my RAM and it's also constantly running a scan of the music library which I can't stop even with a reboot that is eating up about 50-50% of CPU. Not sure when Plex will fix that. Until then I will probably need to shut it down.

Even so again it rarely buffers to the DMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Komet View Post
              Hello Jim,
              I have not read anything or heard this problem with 2.0.1.3. Beta should be fixed. Since I did not want to wait any longer and it is a shame to have my DMS unused in the closet, I solved the problem for me so that I have installed a 10TB hard drive in the DMS and play only 4K / UHD movies on it , nothing else. On external hard drives BD`s and DVD`s. 4K / UHD movies from the HDD in the DMS work perfectly, even in all soundtracks without buffering. Maybe that's an incentive for you.
              Hi Komet, Thanks for the response. Yes, I could use a larger drive for some of my 4K movies, but I'm fortunate enough to have several other options to do what I want (separate my 400+ UHD movies from my 3000+ regular blurays). I have another unit (begins with Zap...) that works exactly as it should on my NAS. I also have several NUC windows computers using DVDFab's Movie Player and they too work perfectly with my NAS. In fact, I recently gave kudos to DVDFab's Movie Player for the great scraper in the newest version 6. It's just that the DMS was the first thing I purchased before I moved to these other possibilities and still want it to work the way it's supposed to. As you mentioned in another post, since it works with the external drive, it's probably not a problem with the capabilities of the video or audio segment. More than likely, it has to do with how it implements its ethernet connection. I'll just keep on waiting to hear that they've found a solution.
              Peace, Jim

TV: Sony XBR-70X850B; Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060; Speakers: KEF 7.2 Surround; NAS Server: Synology DS2411+; Home Theater: NUC8i7 Windows 10; DMS: Updated to v2.0.2.1 Beta; Zappiti:One 4K HDR; Connection: Direct Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggy6977 View Post
                lamster,

Have you tried to just have the 4k and UHD running from a hard drive in the DMS?

Buffering "Over NAS" suggests that your network isn't fast enough, are you using a hard line for your network? Or are you using WiFi b,g,n,ac?
                Hi Shaggy, For those of us who have been experiencing this buffering problem for the last couple of years, I think it's an ethernet problem, but not from our end. Our NAS's work great over gigabit ethernet in many other venues...just not with the DMS. My guess is that if the techs really focused on it, they'd discover a firmware change that could fix things. There are other android systems (I have one) that don't exhibit this buffering issue.
                Last edited by JimS; 11-11-2019, 01:39 AM.
                Peace, Jim

Comment

Hi Jim, very much ... I also have these buffering problems and have just found this solution for me. I also have another media player with which I do not have these problems. 400 UHD films are already quite a lot. The buffering problems I have only with the DMS. But after so many years, I do not believe in a solution anymore. That's why I helped myself.

Comment

Originally posted by lamster View Post
                    No Jim its still the same as before, tbh im getting fed up with this buffering/stuttering with 4k over NAS getting mentioned again and again and never getting looked at.

Its over 18 months this issue with 4K video and audio buffering over NAS has been happening.

Im getting the feeling this issue cant be fixed and we are not being told about it.

Much longer and mine is getting factory reset and sold on, pity really as it does pretty much everything else I want it to do, but the main reason I purchased it was for 4k streaming from NAS.

It seems sorting posters and collections out is more important than the actual playability of the unit, I know what I would rather have
                    Hi Lamster, From looking at the posts and the fixes in the last several updates, apparently, there are more folks looking at the DMS as a server for their TV shows and thus the focus on fixing episodes and scraping. Like you, my main focus is for bitstreaming UHD 4K movies and to be able to take advantage of the highest level audio streams possible. I too have been collecting TV shows for years, but I use my Kodi media center for those things which it does very well. I'm not really angry that the DMS doesn't work because I've moved on to other sources. But since I do have the DMS, it's more of a personal challenge for me to maximize the capabilities of my equipment. And knowing about its current limitations, I'd be uncomfortable selling my DMS to someone else .
                    Peace, Jim

Comment

It is most definetly DMS, I own several products all connected to the same NAS over the same gigabit network, Unplug my AppleTV running FireCore and plug DMS in, no stutter on AppleTV, stutter galore on DMS, some UHD ISO will play on DMS but their bit rates are all low compared to ones that stutter. I can play DVDFAb Media Player running on a NUC on the same network cord and it plays just fine, along with a newer Android player.
                      It's either a driver/firmware issue or the box is flawed and does not have enough horse power to accept full UHD bitrate over the network and render. It's not even processing audio as it is just setup as pass thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggy6977 View Post
                        lamster,

The bottleneck suggests it is in your network and not the DMS.

There is no way that I can test this because all my video equipment is ancient, bluray 1080p is the largest that I can stream on my WiFi ac and my NAS units are both hardlined into my router. My DMS is connected through WiFi and I have not had any issues with the video or audio streaming.
                        Hi Shaggy

Yes I have a HDD installed in the DMS that I now exclusively use for UHD as this was the workaround when the buffering was first found to happen, its not every UHD movie either just certain ones I have found, but once you have settled down to watch a movie its a pain when it happens, so I gave up on it (It was a known problem and was on the to-do list in V1 firmware but never got looked at I dont think)

If anyone wants to try something out then you can try this atmos demo clip, I have it in my demo folder on NAS, which is linked to the DMS via its own link (Videos) it starts to play fine for a few seconds then stutters like crazy.

Also tried it on the internal HDD and it plays perfect, so I know the clip is fine.

My network setup is as follows

Billion BiPAC 8900AX-2400
                        Synology DS1817 with 16gig ram and 4x 8TB WD Reds Running Cat6 to Billion then direct Cat6 to DMS (full gigabit)
                        DMS linked to Yamaha RXA3070 via HDMI (for dolby atmos) then passthrough video to TV via HDMI
                        Everything on static IP addresses

The NAS is purely for Movies and TV series. I borrowed a friends Zid*o X20 and put this in place of the DMS and it played everything UHD I threw at it without issues, so I have to say that I dont think (I could be wrong tho) that the issues dont lie with my setup.

Comment

Working...
                        X