Forward Looking - Getting a 2nd DMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forward Looking - Getting a 2nd DMS

My collection is going on the Network and I'm making good progress. Assuming I get everything to my liking (i.e. adjusting covers, and movie names as I like them, etc.), and I want to put another DMS in another room - is there a way to copy all the DMS info to the second one. Rebuilding will be terribly painful (days worth of work).

TRJ

Not that I know of, but as long as you were content to have the exact same content on both then that would be a feature request. Since the 'Play Store' is built into the Android OS it seems as though it could be implemented as an App.

What about a 1:1 copy of the disk that is set up and put the other disk in the second one. The problem there is that the thumbnails that make up the poster wall are stored on the sd card that is internal to the unit and also host the OS. I am not sure those can be copied over. Someone may know more about that.

Comment

Dead Eye - Thanks.

Note - the disk solution will not work since my collection will well exceed the size of a drive. I hope to have a DMS in the master and the Living Room....and possibly a separate movie room (one day)

How do we push this to a feature request?

If a copy can't be made easily some how, then maybe the DMS OS can add a feature to copy all info to a second unit somehow, master/slave, or through our DMS account, etc..

I purchased the DMS based on some features that PLEX systems don't have (such as ISO play, etc.). However without some basic features to make the user experience easier - I may need to rethink my system design.

TRJ

Comment

I have used my DMS as a PLEX media holder. I had the server on a PC and pointed to the DMS. It works fine, the downside is the DMS has to be on

I have a second media server with a Z in the name. I did a 1:1 disk copy from the DMS and plugged it in... No problem. Had to scrape on it's own, but worked otherwise.
        I kind of like that I have a backup. .Don't like having to copy new content or IF I make a change to a file name. New movies get released all the time with OLD titles and I have to go back and add the YEAR to the title. I have been including the Year for a while now, so this should be less of a pain going forward I HOPE! LOL

Comment

intvfan,

So it sounds like if you copy the internal drive it may work.....Any idea if this still works if I have all the "content" on a NAS drive? Will it maintain all the corrections I made to file names/titles, etc? What version of OS are you running?

Comment

Working...
          X