Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to put something listed in TMDB TV in the Movie section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to put something listed in TMDB TV in the Movie section?

I'm putting a bunch of related movies together with the various available shorts that I've obtained over time. However one of the sets of shorts are listed as TV in the TMDB. I would like to try and put all the movies and shorts in a chronological order and together so you don't have to be aware they are in both movies and TV. One such example would be the Alien movies that have many movies and many different shorts. However this particular case it appears that the digital Isolation series is listed under TV and I don't know if there is a way to "trick" the system and/or force the TV under the movie section.

Any guidance in this area would be appreciated.

TRJ

Well, if I understand your post correctly I would have to answer...NO. The scheme for this device appears to be that the scraper(..and it's associated algorithms and code) write the entries in the servers database after a query to the online resource. Since I'm not 100% sure about that and I'm not on the development team I could be wrong. Short of opening the database file and editing it with the appropriate software to force it(..and I'm not convinced that any changes made by doing that would stick) I think you are stuck.

This is where a much needed feature could be added...that being a totally configurable and user created/managed database that the OS would load on startup along with the scrapers output database. Not even sure if that is possible...just thinking out loud.

Comment

Your response doesn't surprise me. It seems that the design forces the way TMDB lists it, regardless of how the end user desires it to be. This means the end user experience is affected especially where there are fields we can not adjust. I don't mind if my initial loading is based on the TMDB, however once I adjust something, as the user I want it to stay or stick. What if I want displayed differently than the TMDB? Any reloads should check for existing info first and leave alone.

Beyond the ability to adjust these items is a separate issue about making changes that will ultimately stick, even during reloads. While we can do changes to some items such as title adjustments - if you reload the system these don't stick. Ideally we should be able to choose to adjust the main content of any NFO files (such as how it is displayed), and then these changes stay. However currently if you make changes to the NFO files, they changes are not necessarily seen by the system and don't always take. Also if you reload the system, the NFO's are overwritten as well. These are aspects that contribute to detrimental user experiences. However I digress so now back on topic....

I have a feeling because the display functionality works differently under TV is different, that making a TV listing under movies may be difficult given the current design. However it would be nice if some sort of function was present. One possible idea is that a poster can be displayed on the Movie side that is a "pointer" to the particular TV poster and allows you to select and jump to the TV side listing called on by the poster you add to the Movie side.

Other Grouping examples from TV and Movies:

Another SERIES that would be problematic is the MCU universe if you are desiring to put everything into a chronological listing between all the TV shows and Movies.

The OLDer "IT" is listed under TV, while the new ones are movies. It would be nice to group these all in one location, despite not being chronological.

I would also want to group my Young Indiana Jones Chronicles with my Movies.

Buggs Bunny has some movies as well as TV episodes

These are just a few such examples, etc..

TRJ

Comment

I have The Three Stooges: The Ultimate Collection and I guess we can throw that one in the mix also....where you have most that will only scrap as movies and some as TV series because that is how it is on the TMDB. Most if not all the shorts from the collection are identified as movies, about six different years/episodes were uploaded and identified as a TV series but we are talking 1938 - 1959, wasn't born then so they might have been movies then in reference, it is what it is. So those are in two different places on the server. Don't know of anyway one could fix a collection that is already posted on the site by someone.

With that, I am hard pressed to think there isn't a movie server out there that is doing anything differently in reference to scrapping and having 100% control over how to personalize each function for each individual. From what I have gather most scrapping is done in reference to a reference, it needs somewhere to verify the movie or TV it is scrapping from a database. This is where, how and why mostly all the servers use some form of pulling this information from somewhere that is designated by them using NFO files or it is embedded in their software to grab it either by title, year or discid number off the internet without NFO files. This is why when one tries to change the NFO file that is made it will not work and changes back to the reference that is was originally sourced too.

TRJ.......know what you are talking about.......really haven't tried to change anything on the sever that does not have a reference to it because I know that if I do a rebuild of the library it won't stick as noted and would change. So that is a head thumper...........

Comment

I guess I'm spoiled while working previously on some Retro Gaming systems. In the gaming scene they use similar formats of scrapping and put the info into specific XML files (similar to the NFO files). Several that I have worked with can be set up to scrap only new entries or entries that do not exist, as well as full rebuilds My choice is typically just additions for those lacking. You can then go in and manually correct the XML usually for most item and they will "Stick" since you are not doing full rebuilds..

Here for the Media server it's the lack of only looking for new entries or ignoring existing entries that causes the problem. From doing some work on both, the Retro gaming scene has solved many of the issues I'm experiencing with the DMS. Despite the issues, if some minor changes are made, and some features added that allows me to use better - I'd probably buy a few more, as well as have some friends who are also interested. The largest functional concerns I currently have are in different thread, but relates to the TV shows are not properly displaying for ISOs with multi-episodes as the naming tread implies. My second is adding any disc you want so Bonus Discs and dual disc shows can function appropriately. Most other items are "wish list" desires for better control and functionality.

Comment

The only workable solution in my mind would be the 'User Database' feature. The basic elements of this feature should include, but not limited to...

1) Add a 'Remove from Scrapers Database' menu option right after the 'Fix Match', this should mark that file off limits to the scraper and move it to the 'Video' category.
            2) Once in the video section then a 'Add To User Database' function menu would be available. To include a way back to the scrapers database if needed.
            3) Provide an NFO template file that the info in can be populated by the user and written to the user database.
            4) Show the mix of User Database and the scrapers database on the poster wall but distinguish between the two by a Water mark color or other such scheme.
            5) Provide the utilities and tools so that the user database can be fully managed, including backing it up to a network resource.

That isn't a complete list but it would be a good start...feel free to add to it. Then it can be submitted as a Feature Request! The other thing is to get this device updated to the current Android OS, my phone is running Android 10.

Comment

I would likely want 4) to be optional. Once they show I don't need to distinguish them assuming I've been able to adjust as I like and/or have a method to correct or adjust as needed.. Also - I think your 5) approaches on another issue in that if I purchase another one, I would want to by able to synchronize to another unit by some method such as copy, save and restore, or similar. In my case I have networked all movies and don't necessarily store locally.

Comment

Working...
              X