2021 observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMS v2.0.2.1 2021 observations

Have been using release 2021 for about 2 weeks now and want to share my observations

Installation
    The installation went without incident. I did not see the problems with collections reported in other threads. However, I also did not rebuild the database so that may be why I did not experience that problem.

The Good
    I did not find any noticeable difference in the DMS internal functionality between this and the previous firmware.It seemed pretty much the same.

The WEB app, however, does now allow editing of metadata. That is certainly a major (and welcome) improvement.

Not so Good
    The web interface ability to edit metadata does not work at the tvshow episode level. It seems rather odd that the function would work everywhere else except there. Perhaps that area is different in some way that makes it more difficult to implement.

I was very disappointed to find that none of the existing problems for the tvshow area have been addressed. I keep hearing that those fixes are coming, but still waiting patiently.

Some Suggestions
    First off, I'd like to see the metadata editing function extended so it can be used at the tvshow episode level.

I have more than 8 collections in my system, so I noted that the collections posters on the movie main screen scrolls off screen to the right. In other words, to see all collections, I must scroll right to bring them into view. I suggest that this be changed to a multi-line display instead, so more collections can be seen at one time. Perhaps replace the collection posters with a button that takes you to a collections screen similar to the "all"screen.

Please, please, please bring back the episode names. I really miss that feature. As an example, take Star Trek episode 1 for season 1. The system today shows that episode's poster (or video capture) with the text "Episode 1" under it. Years ago, it used to show it as "E1: The Man Trap". To me, the old way was much preferred. Can't imagine why it was changed all those years ago...

Hi DMS developers,

just so if I could add-on to tbrown25 observations:

3D Blu-ray effects
    thanks very much on 2.0.2.1, the 3D blu-ray depth effect is back. However, the playback of the 3D movie seems draggy (not smooth playing).

Comments
    DMS Video folder in DMS
    Is there any way to delete the files in DMS Video folder? These files are generated every time I watched a movie / serial titles. There's is no delete option except edit and view.

anyway, I love that the 3D effect is back and I'm quite hesitant to go for a further auto-upgrade between 1.0.1.0 to 2.0.2.0. The 3D effect is the CHIEF reason why I buy the DMS.

Comment

Ong,
      Your statement on the DMS folder is confusing to me. The only time I find files in the DMS Video folder is when they are not automatically scraped properly and the system does not know what metadata to associate with them. When that happens I manually edit the file to assign correct poster, etc. Once that is done, the file appears on the poster wall and disappears from under DMS Videos.

Never had a file appear there after just watching a movie. But then, I often read of things on the forum that seem to work differently than my own server. It is puzzling how they frequently seem to work differently.

Comment

Originally posted by tbrown25 View Post
        Ong,
        Your statement on the DMS folder is confusing to me. The only time I find files in the DMS Video folder is when they are not automatically scraped properly and the system does not know what metadata to associate with them. When that happens I manually edit the file to assign correct poster, etc. Once that is done, the file appears on the poster wall and disappears from under DMS Videos.
        Was kind of thinking the same....if this is happening, would be nice to know in understanding what precipitates that behavior so one could be on the alert when it happens. For me it only has happened in the way you noted so far if the DMS has no clue what to do with what is being scrapped.

What is confusing is it is happening as 'said' every time he/she watches a movie/TV series.

As not to highjack your thread anymore with this......people are using different releases with different results and outcome, if Ong is using V2.0.2.1 in response, would not think he/she should not be seeing something different then anyone else using the same version. Think Ong would need to express and fill in the gaps to how this is happening to better understanding how it is.

With that being said......very good feedback on V2.0.2.1..think it is and was very much on point in a positive direction and don't really see where any of the suggestions can't be taken seriously!

Last edited by Down2Earth; 06-23-2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X