Mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General/Other Mo

Hello dear community, a question, will there be a MovieServer 2 at some point? Who can also do Dolby Vision?

Given the support we received for the current product i would be surprised at people willing to give money for a different one. Dolby Vision (certified/legal) is probably not ever happening for anyone, there are a couple products when hacked products without support that will do it, and one product similar to DVD Fab Movie server recently released which claims color mapping of dolby vision, note that it doesn't say supports, it says they process.

This product has been my worst buy since i bought it, so it gets used as a doorstop (literally). The library issues i can get over or work around, but the failure to address UHD video from NAS just proves it is most likely a hardware issue they will never be addressed.

I personally at this point would rather they spend money on their Player, but even that is getting changes too slowly.

Comment

Raethien, I know you have been asking for this FOREVER!
      I have my own issues with the device ( well, software/firmware and support )
      But that being said, I have tried 5 brands and I absolutely like this one the best.
      What is different for me is I have a 14TB internal drive. So I do not have the issues you have.

I have watched content from the DMS on REMOTE Plex without an issue. I have also watched content on a Zidoo X10 from the DMS without issue.
      I cannot reverse that one, because I cannot figure out how the get the DMS to connect to the Zidoo? That would be the closest test I could have to your setup at present.
      The other hardware is old and doesn't handle higher bandwidth content so well. But I could move something over to test?
      I think they may have 10MB connection and not 100MB or 1GB. So I think they fail before I start. Need to check the specs. But they predate the DMS.

I do fear drive failure. I have backed up MOST of the content to the other players. But I do have unique content across them.
      I even have to name some stuff differently in the different servers to get them to scrape.

With the recent upgrade to FAB, I have had some issues with .265 content not playing on the DMS, but does on the Zidoo and software.
      I ran CONVERT as a test via FAB and those files worked?? So, I don't know what to think about that? Guessing FAB ripping was a little out of spec and the other players are more forgiving?

I see today they have a new FAB out. Don't know if I want to rip the same stuff... But I guess i should as a test. If I had something new, I would do that first.
      But new stuff is getting harder to find. ( that I want )

Let's hope they do get on the ball and role out some fixes.

I think the DMS is capable of playing your content from the NAS. Just curious on how you are attaching it?
      Also, I don't know what NAS you have but it could be a setting? I find every NAS I have used to be PAINFUL. But who can afford a SAN?

Good luck!

Back to the topic! I would consider a newer model. But I fear the support would be the same and we would be starting from version 1.0 again.
      We all know that is really BETA .7

Comment

I moved out of the dedicated android boxes, primarily using DVDFab Player with my own front end until they upgrade it themselves (not holding breath), that and FireCore on Apple TV, I don't get Dolby Vision or Atmos, but makes a really nice streamer for all rooms except theater. FireCore is also one of the best scrapers out there at least for my content, it's also possible they benefited from the 10K loads done in DVDFab MS, but all my new discs I buy come up right every time first time.
        I have a laundry list of things that are broken in DVDFab, and only 2 wish list items for FireCore/DVDFab Player, one is Dolby Vision which nobody does, and FireCore also lacks Audio passthrough, so i only get 7.1 audio from it and for $10 a year with new features being added all the time can't beat it.
        The new generation of competitors with the 1619 and 1395 chips hold promise, but i haven't played with their UI and scraping ability to know how i would feel about them, some of them close to or more than a grand pushes me towards a mini pc and DVD Fab Player for my home theater, just need DV for it as well.
        DVDFAb seems to acquire a lot of their tech instead of building it themselves, which is probably why they don't have the skills internally to fix this stuff. Over a year ago I built my own scraper in a weekend just to see how hard it was then within a week it working better than the DVDFab version /shrug.
        Still love the ripper tool, sad they never properly integrated it to the Media Server especially with NAS support, the protected content ripper (itunes) has never once worked for me, and honestly the first release of MS was still the best for my use case. Maybe in another 6 months a new product will appear from one of the other competitors.

Comment

I kind of use PLEX like you are doing on my "remote" tv. It has PLEX built in, so I just use it wireless in the sun room / deck.
          Yes, I was interested in the 2 companies that start with Z.. but those prices are crazy.

So it sounds like the throughput on the NAS is fine if you are playing the content by other means.
          Unless some transcoding is going on. Can you put a drive in the DMS and copy some data to it from the NAS and see what kind of transfer rate you are getting?

I am very curious. I get 40GB/s wireless writing to the DMS. I could connect a network cable and test when I have a chance.

What type of NAS are you using? I have looked at a few but haven't pulled the trigger.
          I do want raid protection of my data and be able to buy 8TB-10TB drives for much less $$ than a single 16TB plus another for Back up. The BU can be slow and less use hours of course.

Oh, also, copy a high bit rate UHD to the local drive and try to play it. Does it buffer / stutter or whatever issue(s) you are seeing from the NAS.
          I do lower the quality of my files ( mostly ) Sometimes I just do an ISO if the disc has a special menu or I have issues getting something to rip. etc.

Comment

Hello everybody,
            actually my question was whether a DMS 2 is planned to be released at some point. I am very happy with mine. Picture and sound are great. Posters almost always fit, it depends on how you name the film. What is wrong can be changed accordingly. Everything from DVD, BluRay and 4K UHD BluRay can be played without any problems. I don't have a NAS but an internal 10TB hard drive and another 20TB hard drive connected to the DMS. In the beginning I had put my difficulties with the DMS back in the closet and was annoyed. Then I really dealt with him and tried a lot to understand him. Today I am very satisfied and it runs absolutely without any problems, including 4K UHD films. That's why I would also buy the successor DMS. Hence the question.

Comment

Komet, Sorry for hijacking.
              What version are you running? 2.0.2.1? or 1.0,1,0?
              The scrapping does not work well for episodic stuff TV Shows. ISO especially suck.
              The browser was SO MUCH BETTER in 1.0.1.0 FASTER, Gave proper run times, Searching, Actor search. View a description of a movie or tv show, Click on an actor and it listed all of your content that the actor was in. Sometimes you feel like Harrison Ford Labeled the Content as SD/HD etc.

However, the editing was a little wonky. I had DB size issues forcing me to WIPE the DMS and re-scrape everything then FIX all the miss matching AGAIN.

2.0.x.x seems to have fixed local memory issues. Have not had an issue with that and I have at least doubled my content. 2500 movies and 116 TV shows.
              The browser BLOWS. It takes forever to load, searching requires adding extra characters and then deleting them to get proper results.
              You can hardly see the descriptions, Actor names are cut off most of the time. Have to change from Large Image to Small Image over and over to continue to scroll down....

At least the MATCHING is understood. You can go to the Movie Database and SEE what they expect and name to match. But they have lots of naming issues and missing info.

1.0.1.0 had many more box arts available. Especially special edition, collector edition stuff. I have many movies like T2 with multiple versions. 2.x.x.x does not distinquish the variasions.
              and does not show run time, so you cannot even tell which is which...

I could go on and on! SO after this amount of time and no traction on fixing these problems and all the others people have talked about. Wouldn't you want them to FIX what we have before starting something else and certainly abandoning all of us current users?

When 8K comes along, they will have no choice. however, I don't see ME going to that format for a long time! It already takes a dogs age to do a good quality rip of HD content.

Do 7 seasons of Star Trek TNG... It is not a quick thing! And that is only 1080 not 4K...

I used to leave things off the DMS that I could stream. However, I was re-watching LOST and was around season 4 when Netflix pulled the plug. I only have Netflix and Prime.
              I am not paying for anything else! So, I took the time to RIP 6 seasons of lost and eventually all my other stuff.

Now when CHARTER is down or whatever, I have everthing I own ready to go. I guess I could hook up a blu ray player again... Where is that remote? LOL

Comment

Working...
              X