Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMS v2.0.2.1 disappointing

I haven't done much since my last evaluation of media player, reason being:

I've become dis-enchanted the with progress of fixing problems with media player. During this period of covid - 19 where people could have worked from home, nothing much seems to have been done. There has also been plenty of time to test new updates. I can see that improvements have been made on the interface. eg poster wall is much better than when I bought DMS, when looking under "all" (in my case over 1100 movies) I can go from a to z without having to wait, before I had to wait after every 40 movies or so, before I could continue down the page. Search has also been improved, now I can find movies without DMS freezing up.

My biggest disappointment is that finding posters for movies and tv series hasn't changed in a long time. Since about Ver. 2.0.0.0, I've had 31 video's (movies/tv series) that have not been identified. Every time a update comes out, it is always the same 31.

I've asked this question quite a few times, when will this be fixed. Always the same answer, next update.

Now I'm asking again. WHEN will this be fixed.
    Viking lost down under

ejm...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it will never be fixed as long as they(..the developers) maintain total control over their code base, instead of letting the open source community inject fresh ideas into the development stream. I've lost interest in my DMS and it stays off most of the time now. I now use my HTPC, an Intel NUC8i7BEH Windows 10 PC with KODI as my player to watch movies that I rip with DVDFab. This winter I plan on getting an NAS and move all content onto it and retiring the DMS, KODI can browse network resources and stream within the player.

If I was a programmer I would create a totally manual *.nfo generator template whereby the end user could create the .nfo file manually by using multi-tab browsing and copy publicly available info from any web based resource into the generator, thumbnail pics included. Save the file in the correct format.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, and you sound smarter than I am. I have only used the DMS 5-6 times in the last 1/2 a year.
      Viking lost down under

Comment

Hi ejm, Can you list the 31 movies that do not match?
        If I have some of them, I can tell you if any worked for me and how I named them.

I have issues with items with invalid characters in the name. Like SPACE: 1999 The colon character is not valid in a file name. Or Kolchak: The Night Stalker.
        However, these are now both matching for me now.

It would be nice to have guidance on how to REPLACE invalid characters in file names.

I have been using another product for about a month. It has some wonderful editing features and the web browser is very fast etc.
        But the matching (cloned my DMS drive) on this player is much more stubborn. I have had to rename a ton of stuff to make the match. The DMS is MUCH friendlier.

It has particular problems with TV shows with the same name from different years.
        The Twilight Zone (1959)
        The Twilight Zone (1985)
        The Twilight Zone (2002)
        The Twilight Zone (2019)

or Lost in Space (1965) and (2018) etc.

The DMS has no problem. On the other player, I have to force them to load in a specific order or they will not work. A pain in the A$$

After working with the newer player... I am really liking the DMS a lot more!

Maybe we need a spot for items that will not match.
        And if any of us have them working, we can give the solution? File naming etc.
        I am not a fan of manual matching. It is not repeatable. I am no longer going to do that. I will try renaming etc. but it needs to be repeatable without further intervention.

Comment

intffan
          For titles that have a ":" in them, I have been replacing the ":" with "-". So far it has worked with no problems.

Comment

intffan, hope this helps you.

Vikings The Saga of Floki
            My Sarah Jane - A Tribute To Elizabeth Sladen
            Tron Uprising - S01E19
            Timeless - S02E11
            Battlestar Galactica The Last Frakkin' Special (2009)
            Wing Commander 4 The Price of Freedom(1995)
            Wing Commander 3 Heart of the Tiger(1994)
            30,000 Leagues Under The Sea (2007)
            Star Trek the animated series (1973) entire season
            Doctor Who - S11E11
            1 Danish movie totally missing and several movies with wrong poster/year
            Viking lost down under

Comment

Hi ejm, I have 2K+ movies and 130+ TV series and we don't have a lot of crossover!
              Anyway, My wife gave me Star Trek the Animated series a few years ago. So I have that and it works for me!
              Folder-"Star Trek The Animated Series"
              SubFolder "Season.1"
              Files "Star Trek The Animated Series -S01E01 - Beyond the Farthest Star.mkv" through "Star Trek The Animated Series -S01E16 - The Jihad.mkv"
              SubFolder "Season.2"
              Files "Star Trek The Animated Series -S02E01 - The Pirates of Orion.mkv" through "Star Trek The Animated Series -S02E06 - The Counter-Clock Incident.mkv"

It also has 2 special feature files I named S00E01 and S00E02 but they don't match

I am a TRON fan as far as the Movies and Games. Didn't get into uprising. I had a few episodes on the DVR but never got around to them.

I should check out Dr. Who also. I watched it in the 70's on my local PBS station.

I hope Star Trek matches for you now!

Comment

Hi intvfan, Star Trek the animated series I have is the same as yours only difference is that you used caps and I didn't. Changed it to Star Trek The animated series. I'll run a rebuild library later and see if it makes any difference.
                Viking lost down under

Comment

After rebuilding library, Star Trek the animated series is still under videos.
                  Viking lost down under

Comment

SO strange!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	trek.png
Views:	236
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	386071

Comment

Hi intvfan, deleted all of Star Trek the animated series (1973) and ran rebuild library twice and left it like that for 2 weeks. Then I copied them back to media player and it worked like a dream.
                        I then tried to scrape some of the other videos that refused to scrape. Suddenly all TV series episodes decided to scrape, leaving only the below movies not scraping. Wing Commander 4 The Price of Freedom(1995) and Wing Commander 3 Heart of the Tiger(1994) used to have posters. Will try and rebuild library again and see what happens this time.

Vikings The Saga of Floki
                        My Sarah Jane - A Tribute To Elizabeth Sladen
                        Battlestar Galactica The Last Frakkin' Special (2009)
                        Wing Commander 4 The Price of Freedom(1995)
                        Wing Commander 3 Heart of the Tiger(1994)
                        1 Danish movie totally missing
                        Viking lost down under

Comment

Working...
                        X