MS gone from PC network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS gone from PC network?

why would the media sever disappear from my network on my PC. I have tried everything to get it back. Just spent the last 4hrs trying to get the movie server to format the hard drive. it's not letting me put more than about 500gb on a 4tb drive. i updated the firmware and I'm attempting to copy the movies back to the drive but noticed movies are taking at least 30seconds to load. before update they loaded in a couple of seconds.

This things got to be one of the most un polished POS hardware and software I have ever used. I have put up with it but it's non stop hassle and at least 5-6hrs a month of messing with the damn thing to get it running then all of a sudden it just has issues.

Hi,

I would check your system has SMB1 enabled. Unfortunately although SMB1 is a known security risk these days the DSM needs it to be able to transfer files via CIFS/SAMBA.

On Windows 10 you need to go into Control Panel, then Programs & Features. You will see an option to Enable/Disable Windows components. Select that then scroll down the list for SMB1. Enable it and then reboot when asked.

DSM was supposed to support SMB2+ but I have never been able to get it to be recognised unless SMB1 is enabled.

John

Comment

I recommend you do not use the MS to format disk. I have seen this same problem may times (works for awhile, then suddenly won't let you put new files on it, or files already transfer disappear..). The MS supposedly formats the disk as a Linuxs ext4 partition, but I have never been able to read the disk on any linux machine, so I suspect something is not quite right with the formatting software.

I always format hard drives on my PC in NTFS format. That seems to work reliably. And, of course, if you have a 4TB drive, the disk should be set up as a GPT disk, .

Comment

Working...
      X