Sata drive issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMS v2.0.2.1 Sata drive issues

I bought a second Sata hdd because my 1st sata hdd was running out of storage , and wanted to make my 2nd Sata hdd to be dedicated to tv series, but after formatting it I installed it into my dms and expecting it to show up with none of my media from the 1st Sata hdd , but after starting up this blank formatted 2nd hdd, the screen shows all my movies from the 1st hdd even though the first hdd is not installed, but of course when I click on any movie or video it says no longer exists, how can I set up this 2nd hdd so it shows my new tv series without all the other media icons stored in memory in the dms ? I want to be able to hot swap my 1st hdd in to watch movies then be able to pop it out of the dms and then pop in my 2nd hdd to watch tv series, they are both 6tb hdd’s ?

I actually thought it would work like that also and had the same intentions and bought 3 sperate hard drives to swap out in that same exact way but found out like you that it doesn't work that way.

Found that it does store movie data and path from the HDD that is stored inside the DMS unless you use a hub or NAS to tell it which drive to save data too other than the one inside the DMS. Gave up the hot swappable drives after I figured out what needed to be done to make that work.

You still have the movies on the first HDD drive, the second HDD is empty and trying use for TV series only. To get rid of the first HDD movie data out of the DMS, believe you would need to 'clear data cache'. Every time you want to swap out the movie HDD and TV HDD from out the DMS, you will need to clear cache since it stores only one HDD information and can't tell which HDD is gone. In addition to clearing the cache each time you swap out one of the HDD, you will need to update the library manually for each. There maybe some other way around this but gave up the ghost and use a USB hub.

Comment

Thanks for the response, I will keep trying to work with this 2nd drive somehow

Comment

Even with NAS drives - if you change the drive name, or location - even with the same contents - it reads the whole directory name as another location. The original also still stays. It appears the system does not check for location each time after it is loaded/saved to the DMS until you go to play it and it can't find it.

I wanted to re-arrange some of my content until I found out that I had to delete each one and then refresh the server to find again. In short I believe this nature is there to keep it from having to reload each time which would take forever if you have a large collection.

I'm not sure on the swapping part, but in my experience I would not expect the contents that were on one drive to disappear of you load another drive.

TRJ.

Comment

I Just changed from 8TB to 12TB. Copied everything across from SATA 1. Rebuild the database and all was fine except for being unable to connect via computers. Turns out that DMS adds its own SATA 1 and I had re map the network drive. No problem. I decided to see a new movie I put on DMS a few days after installation, They were not there. So I watched a different one, while I as was watching the screen went black. I restarted the DMS and it refused to start, by this time I got pissed and turned it of from power point. Turned it back on after 5 minutes and waited for the welcome screen to go away, never happened. pulled the power cord and waited another 5 minutes and started it again. That was when I got my biggest surprise. It started to load and do an android thing with 33 files, started up after this and started checking my movie / TV series and has worked perfectly since.

Maybe you have a similar problem.

ejm
          Viking lost down under

Comment

Working...
          X