Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add Bits/Pixel selection to choose compression quality more effectively!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Add Bits/Pixel selection to choose compression quality more effectively!

Add Bits/Pixel selection to choose compression quality, independently of whatever frame resolution the user chooses each time!

If for example the user finds out that 0.5 Bits/Pixel is adequate to make a good encode for a given movie at 1280x720 and then he wants to make a 1920x1080 version too of the same movie (or another with the same apparent quality & motion), he simply has to select the same (0.5) Bits/Pixel.

In contrary, by selecting a bitrate or file size, he must do calculations to find out the required bitrate or the file size for a different resolution encode in order to have the same quality result.

(BD 3D Ripper)
    Last edited by FourDee; 06-14-2011, 08:58 AM.

When encoding to a constant quality (which Fab currently does) increasing the bits per pixel would by definition increase the bit rate. You can’t increase BPP without increasing the BR in any case. A better solution, and one the development team is working on, is variable quality or bit rate. The BPP can be increased during demanding scenes and lowered in those scenes of less complexity. It has been my experience that once you go past a BPP of .2 you start to waste time and space in any case.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

- I didn't say the bit rate won't be affected, I just suggested to use Bits/Pixel as an alternative way to set the compression level (and therefore the bit rate) independently of the resolution (independently of the pixel count of the frame), because to set the bit rate, you actually have to take into account the pixel count (among others), or else the bits/pixel.
      So setting bits/pixel is a more direct and independent way to set compression or quality level. Also, that bits/pixel value can be an average value for a variable bit rate encode.

- Since there is a "Fixed bit rate" and "Fixed File Size" I assumed that by selecting a fixed file size the bit rate would be variable -but as you say it isn't, which means the menu is not clear enough.

- Variable quality or variable bit rate is certainly far better, but please don't underestimate low complexity scenes, since currently the encoder produces strong artifacts in low complexity areas of the frame where some information is still present, as I mentioned here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=13375

- Because of the above issue, for Full SBS (e.g 2560x720 ) I'm compressing with BD 3D Ripper (default soft. encoder) between 0.75 and 1.00 bits per pixel! Or, for a normal 720p frame between 0.37-0.5. If 0.2 was adequate, I would be very happy!
      Last edited by FourDee; 06-14-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Correction

Originally posted by FourDee View Post
        - Because of the above issue, for Full SBS (e.g 2560x720 ) I'm compressing with BD 3D Ripper (default soft. encoder) between 0.75 and 1.00 bits per pixel! Or, for a normal 720p frame between 0.37-0.5. If 0.2 was adequate, I would be very happy!
        Correction:
        That was extremely stupid of me, I should say:

- Because of the above issue, for Full SBS (e.g 2560x720 ) I'm compressing with BD 3D Ripper (default soft. encoder) between 0.75 and 1.00 bits per pixel! If 0.2 was adequate, I would be very happy!

BTW, I'm currently doing some tests. It seems the cause of artifacts was "libavcodec" a h264 codec for ffdshow. I'll post updates on the above link.
        Last edited by FourDee; 06-15-2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X