DVD to Bluray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Copy DVD to Bluray

(I am not sure the Prefix I shave selected is correct or not. If not, please redirect to the right Prefix.)

I am surprised that no one has ever asked for upconverting from DVDs to Blurays.

1. Granted, almost all Bluray and media players allegedly can upconvert regular DVDs to 1080p; there is a genuine need to at least double the size of a DVD or DVD file so that when it is upconverted to 1080p, the picture quality can only be better, especially for people with a large screen. I happen to have a 14' screen.

3. Furthermore,there are still many good films that were originally pressed for 16:9, but unfortunately are now shrunk or reduced to a tiny envelop on the screen due to current HD TVs and projectors, making those films a torture to watch. Double the size of those DVDs, so that they can be viewed as a real 16:9.

4. Given the crawl-like speed of Bluray releases by major studios on classic films, I am out of patience. More likely than not, many good films may never see the light of Bluray. This is another compelling reason to have this feature.

5. Many studios have in the past released Blurays on classic films by simply doubling the size from the DVD releases. I am sure Fengtao can do better than that, because there are many kinds of software available that you can auto-contrast, auto-color and even auto-sharpen the video when doing a video editing, among other features that can easily enhance or otherwise improve the quality from DVDs to almost Bluray quality.

6. This DVD to Bluray feature should be achievable. Maybe you can just reverse the process from Bluray to DVD, i.e., reverse engineering.

7. There is a need for such market until such time when major studios have undertaken the efforts to restore the films before upconverting to Blurays, which will take years.

Please advise whether DVDFab is interested in my suggestion. If not, I would explore further with other alternatives. I may invest in such research.

I would also like to see this feature, but for a different reason.

I would like to burn my DVDs as Blu-Ray ISOs. I like to keep my DVDs in ISO format. VLC and XBMC can play ISO files directly, without needing to mount them.

I have no intention of ever buying a Blu-Ray player, and I am happy for my DVDs to stay as SD resolution. What I want is to preserve the DVD menu structure and Special Features, but also get the advantage of h264 compression.

I basically want to store my DVDs as SD (h264) Blu-Ray ISOs, preserving the menu structure and special features, but with a smaller file-size than a DVD ISO.

Comment

Probably the reason Nobody has responded is because it CANNOT be done.

I am NO expert, But from what I understand, you can NOT increase a Picture or a Video Past the Pixel Rate.

A picture or video has so many Pixels per squaire inch.

You can Convert A Video/DVD into a HD or Blu-Ray format, but the Blu-Ray format will NOT be a true Blu-Ray format, because it does NOT have the Pixel Count that a Blu-Ray Video has.

Do a Google Search, and you will see that a Blu-Ray Video has a much BIGGER Pixel Count than a DVD.

That is why the BIGGER you increase the Size, the worse your Picture or Video gets.

There are Other factors you can ADD, But alot of it comes down to your Pixel Count.

Hope that answers your Question.

Comment

ordman, generally you are correct - despite what TV shows such as CSI tell us, you can not "enhance" low resolution video and get higher-detail high resolution video. Once the information has been lost, it is lost forever.

However, I think childer, the original poster, understands this. He (and many others) believe that the upscaling feature of many BluRay players that allows a DVD to be viewed on a 1080p to be suspect. Not all BluRay players are equal - some are better than others at upscaling the output.

Upscaling is always a good idea when viewing standard-definition content on a high-definition screen. The native resolution of an HD screen is 1920x1080. If you feed it with 720x576 content it will look like total crap - very fuzzy and blurry, as the pixels in the content do not line up with the pixels in the screen.

If you use a software or hardware process to upscale that content before it reaches the screen, it will look a lot better. The software process can interpolate the "missing" pixels to a certain degree, so that the screen "thinks" it is displaying HD content. It won't look nearly as good as native HD content, but it will look better than native SD content.

Some upscaling processes are better than others. Cheap BluRay players may not be as good at upscaling DVDs as more expensive ones.

If there was a feature where DVDFab could do the upscaling, we would have control of the process, and we wouldn't have to make use of the inferior upscalers in cheaper BluRay players.

Personally, I think that the reason so few have replied to this thread is that most people are happy with their DVDs being upscaled "on the fly" by their BluRay players.

I see optical media in general as being a bit of a dead-end. I am archiving all my movies onto hard drive, and using software DVD ISO players. I do like to preserve the menu structure and various special features of the DVDs that I own. DVD menus are an art form unto themselves - it would be a shame to lose them in the future by failing to preserve them now.

The problem with doing this with DVDs is that a single-layer DVD ISO is more than 4GB in size, whereas ripping the main feature only to a single h264 file will result in a much smaller file size. The DVD format does not support h264, so at the moment if I want to preserve the menus I have to stick with MPEG2 and big file sizes.

There is such a thing as SD BluRay. If DVDFab supported the conversion of DVDs to SD BluRay, I could have smaller ISO images on my harddrive with preserved menus, because the video on the SD BluRay could be encoded as h264.

Comment

Hello, conhoolio,

when you said, ordman, generally you are correct, I want to Thank You for the complement.

But I was talking about Video, not Upscaling from a Blu-Ray Player.

It would be nice, if DVDfab could turn a DVD into BluRay, but their OWN Blu-Ray Creater cannot Create a True Blu-Ray Video (it's a Blu-Ray Format Video).

I am also interested in keeping the DVD Menues.

I have previously asked them to ADD a customize Feature where I could Compress the DVD smaller Than 4GB, where I could keep the Menu's.

Just today, I asked for a NEW Feature, where you can Compress and KEEP the same Video Format.

Where I have a 1 GB video, and Compress it to say 700 MB.

Now I ask YOU this, what do you think would be a GOOD reason for doing this ??????

Comment

Ordman, DVDFab could perhaps have a slider bar that allowed you to set the compression level, but heavily-compressed MPEG2 looks pretty bad. With DVDFab you currently get the option of DVD9 or DVD5, and it works out what the compression percentage is - usually when converting DVD9 to DVD5, the quality is less than 100%. With actual optical discs, this makes sense as you may as well always fill the disc with the highest quality possible. When backing up an ISO to a hard drive, you will want to set a constant quality - usually the minimum quality you find acceptable - which will set the minumum file size you can get away with. So a sliding % quality scale would be a good option.

But, h264 should always give you a smaller file size for the same visual quality compared to MPEG2.

It would be interesting to convert DVD VOB files to h264 but keep all the filenames the same. A hardware DVD player will never play it, but a software player such as VLC might.

Comment

Hi conhoolio.

Your Slider idea sounds good, But my Idea was to have a small box where I could type in my number say 700 MB, and it would show your percentage, and if you raised or lowered your Number, the Percentage would change.

Now we were talking about saving the Menu, etc on the DVD.

Now what if I took the VOB(s) and compressed it, and then put back.

The DVD would still be the Same, but in a Smaller file.

And if you wanted to you could compress the Trailers & Extra's(or delete then). And still have a Smaller file.

You could run some tests to see what the Compression rate you liked.

So what do you think of my idea ?????

Comment

Working...
              X