Throttle "analysis" to 1x when compressing disk image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) Throttle "analysis" to 1x when compressing disk image

When burning a bluray using Nero, on one system I cannot write at any speed less than 3.7x - 3.9x. Unfortunately, if I am also compressing a 50GB image, the disk thruput is not sufficient for the analysis to do the reading and nero to do the writing. The results is constantly emptying of the "Used read buffer" and the hardware internal buffer and nero burning a bluray that can have glitches when playing. Once DVDFab finishes the "analysis" there is no problem as the CPU or the GPU compression idle time is more than sufficient to allow Nero to burn without buffer-underrun.

Request: If DVDFab detects that it is reading from a hard drive and NOT a BD or DVD player, then it should run at equivalent of 1x. The analysis is generally very fast especially since the data has already been processed during cloning and slowing down the analysis should not make that much difference in total time, maybe 20 more seconds max from my estimate: I watch and hit the pause when I see the buffer drop near 0 and then click on resume when Nero's buffer is full. Alternately, if the analysis was saved from the cloning, there would be no need for a subsequent analysis.

1 Setting DVDFab priority to low did not help.
    2. Nero told me there are no lower speeds for my burner because any lower would damage the surface of the disk. ie: The laser is too hot for a slowly rotating disk. Thus they dont provide 1x or 2x as burning options on my burner.
    3. My mombo does not support SATA2 let alone SATA3 and I am stuck at SATA1 speeds even with a faster drive.
    4. DVDFab unaccountably cannot compress across a network so on a system with one drive I am stuck with that same drive. Even if it could compress across a network, it seems to store stuff in "temp" and then tells me the ISO creation across the network failed. So if you fix the problem with the ISO not being created across a network, then please avoid using the local disk for "temp".
    Last edited by BeemerBiker; 06-07-2012, 01:15 PM. Reason: mentioned problem with temp on local drive.

Temp Folder

Why not map your network share as a local drive and change the default Temp folder for DVDFab to it?

DVDFab gives me no trouble when I use it like that.
    Last edited by DaAppleMan; 06-16-2012, 05:29 PM. Reason: Stupid typo

Comment

Originally posted by DaAppleMan View Post
      Why not map your network share as a local drive and change the default Temp folder for DVDFab to it?

DVDFab gives me no trouble when I use it like that.

Yea, I can do that. It is also possible to use a large flash drive for the temp file which I have tried.

What it comes down to is when DVDFab is out of the compression mode and reading from a hard drive, the GUI becomes sluggesh and does not respond well to even a cancel. This happens both during analysis and during the final phase when the ISO is being built. I should not have used the term "Throttle". What is needed is for the software developer to YIELD at various times so that other processes can get a time slice. I do not like Nero to underrun its buffer constantly. A glitch can show up on a video or audio track. Data is no problem since buffer protection usually works but there can be a very slight delay while playing a video when the player has to jump to a continuation point caused by the buffer underrun. Most programming languages have a way to YIELD to other processes and that is needed when DVDFab is reading from a fast hard drive and not from a DVD type drive that is slow and has yielding already built into the API.

Obviously, this problem only occurs when buring a DVD while concurrently compressing one or more images. Probaby not something most users run into I admit.

anyway, my 2c.
      Last edited by BeemerBiker; 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X