use hd acclarions for encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) use hd acclarions for encoding

AMD readon 7000 serie offer now hw encoding of h264 and other format.
    I can not see dvdfab using it yet, I own now hd readon7770 card

I have a Radeon HD5850 accelerator which uses double precision arithmetic. It can use "OPENCL" and programs written to OPENCL run fine on both nvidia and ati as shown here

I run that boinc project milkyway as shown in the above url and my HD5850 gives better performance than my GTX570 (look at Flops below)
    • 6/24/2012 7:38:11 AM | | NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce GTX 570 (driver version 301.42, CUDA version 4.20, compute capability 2.0, 1280MB, 1132MB available, 1425 GFLOPS peak)
      6/24/2012 7:38:11 AM | | ATI GPU 0: Cypress (CAL version 1.4.1720, 1024MB, 991MB available, 4176 GFLOPS peak)

I suspect that dvdfab is not using opencl. They are probably using the CUDA libraries and tools. Not all boinc projects support ATI accelerators as the projects needs may not be adequately supported.

There is a discussion of ATI 7000 series and opencl here

Regards!

Comment

I've been asking for this feature for years now. I doubt it will happen. They claim AMD does not "allow" (can't recall the term they used) for encoding, only decoding in it's drivers. I started asking back on my old 5870 card. Bumped up to a 7970 now.

Ended up installing my old GeForce 8800GTX and enabling the PhysX hack to get CUDA supported. Works like a charm.

AMD said a few days ago that most devs don't support OpenCL as it's too hard to program for. They have started pushing a new format. See if I can get you link in a bit.

Edit: K, maybe not a new format, but they admit to OpenCL's issues openly.

Rumors of a hook-up between AMD and ARM have been circulating ever since someone coined the phrase "the enemy of Intel is my friend." As of today, however, that alliance is real and cemented in the form of the HSA Foundation -- a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the dark arts of Heterogeneous System Architecture. It's a relatively old concept in computing, but the Foundation's founding partners (AMD, ARM, Imagination Technologies, MediaTek and Texas Instruments) all stand to gain from its wider adoption. How come? Because it involves boosting a chip's performance by making it use its various components as co-processors, rather than treating them as specialized units that can never help each other out. In other words, while Intel pursues Moore's Law and packs ever-more sophisticated transistors into its CPUs, AMD, ARM and the other HSA pals want to achieve similar or better results through parallel computing. In most cases, that'll mean using the graphics processor on a chip not only for visuals and gaming, but also for general tasks and apps. This can already be achieved using a programming language called OpenCL, but AMD believes it's too tricky to code and is putting mainstream developers off. Equally, NVIDIA has long had its own language for the same purpose, called CUDA, but it's proprietary. Whatever niche is left in the middle, the HSA Foundation hopes to fill it with an easier and more open standard that is not only cross-OS but also transcends the PC / mobile divide. If it works, it'll give us a noticeable surge in computational power in everyday apps by 2014. If it fails, these new-found friends can go back to the less awkward custom of ignoring each other.

Quick quote...
      "This can already be achieved using a programming language called OpenCL, but AMD believes it's too tricky to code and is putting mainstream developers off."
      Last edited by Hexen525; 06-25-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Ati Readon HD 6000 serie and down does not have any hardware encoding for any video format. What people have done is writting own encoder that using OpenCL or DirectCompute. But in AMD Readon HD 7000 Serie it contain AMD frist real hardware encoding.

Comment

AMD have now release example how to use h264 hardware encoding

from amd website

Open Video Encode

The OpenVideo Encode library provides an OpenCL API that leverages the video compression engine (VCE) on AMD platforms for H.264 encoding. This sample illustrates the use of the OpenVideo Encode library to encode video in the H.264 format. The sample takes a YUV file as input, encodes it using the OpenVideo Encode library and then saves the compressed elementary stream to disk.
          url for example code : http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/m...openEncode.zip

I hope dvdfab will build in support for amd hardware encoding. after all the documentations are now open how todo it

Comment

Working...
          X