Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) Subtitle Fonts

Hello,

Rendered subtitle fonts have always been problem. Fortunately, the only working solution seems to be DVDFab, except that the fixed fonts, their sizes and colors are less than ideal. I've "tried" all kinds of programs (not in any particular order), Vidcoder/Handbreak, MediaCoder, AVCHDCoder, MeGUI, multiACVHD, etc., but the ONLY program that does work is DVDFab for rendering subtitles in videos, but this feature still isn't quite their yet.

Now first, let me say that what I'm trying to do is taking my purchased library of BluRay's and DVD's and converting (or ripping) them to files that I can put on my media server (Mezzmo) and stream to my PS3 as my DHCP client. The other issue is that neither Mezzmo or PS3 supports embedded subtitles (and I think that many new TV's that support DHCP streaming as well). As such, the only option (for me anyway) is hard rendering.

One other note, is that because I'm streaming to the PS3, I'm trying to stay with the m2ts format. mp4 is also a possibility, but it has file size limitations to 4GB.

Of all those movies, a small but important percentage has foreign subtitles that I want to hard render. On my PC, I exclusively use VLC, and it's built in subtitle font (for embedded, not rendered) subtitles looks perfect. However, in DVDFab, they are either too big, the color is just not right, or the font is just wrong. Here's an example of a BluRay test looking at DVDFab version 8168, 8178, and the current 8213. Note that the "This is a subtitle test." on the bottom is the actual screen cap from the test video. The sample font on the top are my best guess. Also the image is reduced 50% from a 1920x800 screen cap. I also added the same width "|---|" test brackets, just so you can see the displayed font widths.

As seen here, version 8168 uses what appears to be an 20 pt Arial Bold font. The size is OK, although it could be a little smaller, say 18pt, but the yellow color is just too much, as it stick's out like a sore thumb. A white, non-bold, 18pt Arial would be fine, but that's a guess.

Now for the current 8213 (and 8178), it appears DBDFab is using an Asian font type "KaiTi" which appears to be a mono-spaced font as opposed to the proportional Arial font. The mono-spaced font is just bad looking, especially on long or multi-line subtitles.

My Feature Request is simple for me (or anyone else) to seriously consider DVDFab for Ripping/Converting movies that need rendered subtitles, please offer an option to 1) Select the font, size, and color of these fonts (even if its a very limited selection), and 2) Select the option of its position from the bottom of the screen.

The second option isn't that big a deal, but some BluRay movies in 2.35:1 aspect ratio may or may not be mastered at ~1920x800, but instead may be 1920x1024, with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. All this means is that the rendered subtitle would either be in the black area or in the displayed image area.

I don't think that this is too much to ask, but as more and more folks start to go to media server's to handle their multimedia needs, this is very important.

Thanks for your consideration.
    Bill

Honest advice after 10 years of doing just this.... Do yourself a favour and buy a proper medai player instead of that Sony crap such as WDTV, Pivos, etc. :ess than a hundred bux.

They will play all embedded subtitles as authored and they do not need a media server as they just use SMB shares.

Cuts out all the variables that CAN cause the problems.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Honest advice after 10 years of doing just this.... Do yourself a favour and buy a proper medai player instead of that Sony crap such as WDTV, Pivos, etc. :ess than a hundred bux.

They will play all embedded subtitles as authored and they do not need a media server as they just use SMB shares.

Cuts out all the variables that CAN cause the problems.
      I totally agree, in that Sony shoots itself in the proverbial foot (i.e. Cinevia, etc.), but I'm heavily invested in them equipment wise, and if it wasn't for the other issues they have, I really like the PS3 as a streaming client (and BluRay player - WDTV can't do that) being that I have $400 in it. Yes, I could pluck down another $100 or so for a WDTV, but that's just more money spent.

Comment

Well, i THINK YOU ARE STUCK WITH YOUR SUBTITLE SCENARIO THEN.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I do the same movie converting from DVD to AVI and subtitles are always an issue being bold or not clear enough or placement within the video.

Having the option to select size, color, style of font would be great.

As far as Media players go I use the Patriot and it handles a large variety of formats and has a full remote, where my WDTV 1st gen. was fine when I forst got it but is useless now. I'll not go back to that unit.

If you find a fix or work around to the subtitles ...let me know...

azuraman2@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by azuraman View Post
            where my WDTV 1st gen. was fine when I forst got it but is useless now. I'll not go back to that unit.
            Since the LIVE (2009) it supports embedded PGS subs.

Originally posted by billw View Post
            (and BluRay player - WDTV can't do that)
            Since youre obviouly ripping with DVDfab anyway, whats the difference?

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
            MultiShrink
            : DVD Shrink batch processing
            Offizieller Ãœbersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Comment

DVDFab 9 already has this feature, please try it to see the result.
              DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
              http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Working...
              X