H.265

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) H.265

I hope the H.265 codec is on the DVDFab roadmap. It offers half the bit rate of H.264 with the same quality. This will make storing and streaming HD video much easier.

Originally posted by damirski View Post
    I hope the H.265 codec is on the DVDFab roadmap. It offers half the bit rate of H.264 with the same quality. This will make storing and streaming HD video much easier.
    I Think so Toooo.

I have mentioned it here also.

the people around here tend to downplay it, for some reason.

Comment

h265 is in its infancy. Even though its more efficient that h264 it also requires more cpu power so any hardware media player may not support it yet.

Comment

As an indicatiion, all the torrrnt sites are only just now turning to H264.

It'll take years to get accepted.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          As an indicatiion, all the torrrnt sites are only just now turning to H264.

It'll take years to get accepted.
          I don't understand your reasoning with torrent sites and H264.

I think your Probably right considering the HIGH End of H265(Resolution and Pixel Rate).

But the Compression side of H265, will get going a lot SOONER than you think.

They already know H264, and how to use it, so H265 will take HOLD sooner than you think.

Comment

It has taken nearly 10 years for torrents to progress from XVid to H264 and there are plenty of current devices being produced that STILL do not play H264 or do not play it well.

If H265 was to be implemented as an encoding standard today, all hardware devices capable of playback at the moment would become redundant and you could imagine the uproar in the marketplace.

It will be a gradual seeping in process just like XVid->H264 which took 10 years!!

On test documentation that I have seen as part of my player development role, the gain is not as great as you seem to think, in the order of 20% size reduction for similar quality with around 100% increase in encoding time. Don't believe all the marketing B/S that is being pushed out.

With the cost of storage currently at >10c per gigabyte, you are looking at around a cost saving of 2c per movie.

To be quite honest, I can't be arsed even worrying about it.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by ordman View Post
              I don't understand your reasoning with torrent sites and H264.
              I agree this thread is about H.265 and not about torrents lets keep it that way.
              CBR929
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Hi Gregiboy,

You said, "It will be a gradual seeping in process just like XVid->H264 which took 10 years!!"

Gregiboy QUIT living in the PAST.

Where was HD and BluRay 10 Years ago.

As I said before, The HIGH END will take longer.

You also said,

"Don't believe all the marketing B/S that is being pushed out."

I don't, NOT even DVDfab B/S.

I have read documention of People who have ran tests of the different versions of what is called H265.

And they ALL agree that H265 is a BIG Improvement.

Now as far as I know the Offical Version of H265 is supposed to be OUT in Jan 2013.

Now they said according to their tests it looks like a Person, could compress a video 40% to 50% Percent and still get a video of comparable Quality.

Now lets say I use H264 and compress it 10%.
                And take the same video and compress it to 20% or 30% using H265. and get the same Quality, which would you use ???

Also for my understanding, websites like Netflix etc, etc, etc, would be using LESS Bandwith. which means a BIG savings for them.

When CUDA came out, what happened ???

When AMD came out, what happened ???

Do you really think that all of these Encoding/Compression Programs out there will NOT use H265 ???

You said, "To be quite honest, I can't be arsed even worrying about it."

I don't know what all your into.

But I think there is a ALOT of People out there maybe NOT worrying about it, but are planning on how to use it, and how to make their Product Better.

And YES on how to Market it.

Just HOW Big an improvment it will be, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Will YOU join us ?????

Comment

Working...
                X