This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create and Save Custom Profiles

It would be very nice indeed to have even a basic profile editor included with DVDFab's DVD to Mobile and File to Mobile so that after fiddling with all the options and finding what works best for your needs you could then save it with a name that makes more sense than XXX.default.

This would be especially useful should you want more than one custom profile under the same heading that you use for different source material. I don't know about all of you, but I've found that some movies and TV shows look just fine with a lot of compression while others (big action movies) need to have a much lower compression ratio in order to look good when played. It gets a bit tedious to have to change ALL the settings for each movie when it would be much simpler to select custom settings that you've set up in advance. For example; XBox.HighCompression, XBox.MediumCompression and XBox.LowCompression

On the same note, it would also be great if you could then export and share those profiles with others.
    ------------------------------------
    Just another moron with a keyboard.

You can do this already. Use notepad to edit them.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      You can do this already. Use notepad to edit them.
      I understand this, but it's not quite the same thing as having a dedicated, in-program method of saving your own custom profiles. It's kind of like telling someone who owns Photoshop and wants to add text to a photo to use MSPaint instead of the dedicated text tools in Photoshop. Yes, it can be done, but it's much easier and simpler to do things from within the program itself.

And hey, it's just something _I_ thought would be a nice addition to DVDFab. It's already an awesome program, I'm just trying to help make it awesomer!

Comment

At one stage, Fab DID produce a profile editor but most of us kept using Notepad or a simple text editor as that gave us more control and the profile editor seemed to die a natural death.

Most users seemed to regard it as unnecessary.

I'll see if I can find the references to it.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have profile editor still.

Comment

Do you use it though?

Comment

Nope never did...just saved the installer just in case lol

Edit: 1002beta

Comment

That's my point!!!

By the time you become experienced enough to want to customise the profiles, a simple text editor is the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                  That's my point!!!

By the time you become experienced enough to want to customise the profiles, a simple text editor is the best way to go.
                  Ok, let me try this another way...

If someone wanted to create or edit a webpage they would most likely turn to a semi-WYSIWYG program like Dreamweaver, CoffeeCup or any other program specifically made for website creation. If that person were willing to learn all the ins and outs of web design then they MIGHT be willing to do the code by hand using notepad, but for the vast majority of people, including professional web designers and developers, using the WYSIWYG tools gets the job done well enough. Of course, should someone need to fine-tune their website code, they always have the option of digging into it with notepad and hand coding the raw HTML and CSS.

That's what I'm asking for here. Not an end-all, be-all profile editor for DVDFab that contains all the possible options, but just a simple method to name and save the profiles you've ALREADY created from within the DVDFab interface itself. Basically, a method to name and save the profiles created when you click the "Set as Default" button. That way people could save different sets of profiles for different things and simply choose them from a dropdown list when they needed them. I bet 90% or more of the people who buy DVDFab wouldn't know how to open a profile in Notepad to edit it, let alone understand all the options and syntax of writing the profiles.

In fact (and I apologize now for the longwinded post, but I'm on a roll) to make this as simple as possible for the greatest number of users, why not have another option on the "DVD to Mobile" and/or "File to Mobile" lists for "My Presets"? It could sit right above the "Generic" option. Everything you save and name could be there so you'd basically have a central depository for all your personal presets. One place to go for your high quality, no-compression XBox rips and small file size mobile phone rips. No muss, no fuss.

I don't know about you guys, but being able to save ALL my presets simply and easily would be a GREAT feature for DVDFab. And, if I ever wanted to dig deeper I could always open up those saved presets in Notepad and tweak things to my hearts content.

Comment

Well, let me also put it another way !!!!

The developers produced a profile editor.

No one used it !!!

What would you do if you were the developer???? Simple decision, isn't it.

DON'T BOTHER !!!!

So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for what you were asking for.

I'm on a roll too.....

Comment

I have moved your custom profile to the "New Profiles" thread.

This post is now closed.

Comment

Working...
                      X