Please develop Quick Copy / On the fly copy feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Copy Please develop Quick Copy / On the fly copy feature

Some users have 2 DVD drives in our computers.
    Copying DVDs with DVDFab could be much faster if you develop a "Quick Copy" feature that is found in other software.

Currently DVDFab must wait until 100% of the DVD has been read from the source DVD, decoded, encoded and then written to hard disk before it can even write one byte to the blank DVD. Other products can copy a DVD much faster than DVDFab because they provide a mode where the DVD can be copied directly from source to target WITHOUT STORING TO HARD DISK IN BETWEEN. Years ago when the bandwidth of IDE buses was a problem this approach was considered unreliable, however with today's much faster SATA interfaces the writing to hard disk is unnecessary and it makes the copy process significantly slower.

For example, say it takes 30 minutes to read a movie from a DVD, decode, encode and save to hard disk, then another 30 minutes to write the movie to the blank DVD. With DVDFab the total time that the copy takes is 1 hour, but with other software it will only take around 30 minutes because the reading and writing is done concurrently (instead of serially).

Please can you enhance DVDFab to provide a Quick Copy / On the fly copy feature?

Thanks

quick copy

I am using IDE drives and most of time only takes around 20 min to copy and burn on most movies and my system is old so if it's taking you an hour then something must be wrong on your end
    Paid Not To Work
    US Navy Retired ( 20 Years )
    Proudly Served On
    USS Coral Sea CVA-43 (VF-154) / USS Oriskany CVA-34 (VFP-63) / USS Ranger CVA-61 (VF-121)
    6 trips to the Gulf Of Tonkin

Comment

For copying DVD, it should take much less time than one hour, even if your computer is old.

The biggest problem for on-the-fly copying is: the failure rate will be the sum of failed copying and failed burning. To trade 10 minutes with a bigger possible failure, in my option it's not a good choice.
      DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
      http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
        For copying DVD, it should take much less time than one hour, even if your computer is old.

The biggest problem for on-the-fly copying is: the failure rate will be the sum of failed copying and failed burning. To trade 10 minutes with a bigger possible failure, in my option it's not a good choice.
        1. It's not a question of trading 10 minutes, it more like trading 30 minutes and for a bluray disc copy it would be even longer
        2. The only times that I have experienced any issues with making a copy is when the source DVD is scratched. I would say that this happens to me about 2% of the time. Even when it does happen, worst case I can just ignore the error and the copy will perhaps be missing a few minutes of the movie.
        3. A blank DVD costs about 75 cents, so worst case I would spend on average 2%*75 = 1.5 additional cents in blank DVD costs per copy. I am happy to spend 1.5 cents to save 30 minutes of time.
        4. The feature should be an option. If some users want to save 1.5 cents then they should be able to switch it off

Based on the above I think this would be a very valuable feature addition to DVDFab.

My system is a pretty fast desktop (see specs below). I am reading a DVD which is around 6.5GB in size and writing to a 2.4x DVD+R DL blank disk (using the Full Disk Copy option of DVDFab since I don't want any compression quality loss in my copy). According to this page, it takes around 44 minutes to write a full 8.5GB dual layer DVD, so taking 30 minutes to write is expected.

System Specifications
        Quad-core i7-920 with 6GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, and two DVD drives:
        1. Asus BW-12B1ST (12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner)
        2. LG Black (14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner)
        Last edited by subbear; 05-28-2014, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X